Zoo Keeper Career Help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WomaBoy

Reaction score
Hey guys, im a 16 year old boy, who is currently in year 10. My dream job is to become a zoo keeper and a snake relocater. Does anyone have any advice about what i should do to achieve this? :)

do the TVet course on animal handling next year -- Ultimo Tafe - ( if you're lucky you will meet my daughter !! :) )

or try Taronga directly as they now do their own training . $$$ I am led to believe .

Last edited by a moderator:
Taronga runs a program for teenagers called "Youth at the zoo" or YATZ. I know several former YATZ from Dubbo have gone on to become keepers after further study. It's a great introduction to what goes on in the zoo and will give you some great experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you guys heaps! i will look into both of those options! at the school i just recently moved to about 3 weeks ago, doesnt let us do tvet courses, but the one i just moved from does, if this is the case, i will be moving back if need be!

Cert III captive animal management is what you want, Tafe do it at Richmond, Coffs Harbour, and maybe Brisbane somewhere still, taronga also do it but it will cost you a lot and theres no guarantee you will get a job there after completing it

Thanks guys! My parents and i will be looking into all these options! My dream is to become in the reptile section - Like taking care of the snakes and doing croc shows - i know it seems far fetched but if i try hard enough i can see my self acheiving this :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

if you want better pay try looking into fauna management and spotter catcher work for development projects like mining and the pipelines in QLD, you gotta spend a bit of time away but they basically pay you to go herping

Im in year 11 and doing the same thing
you have to start with Cert II animal studies, working up to cert III and optionally (i think) IIII, and then zoology certificates etc :)
you can start after year 10
in QLD you need at least 4 hours work/volunteering placement a week at an animal related facility in order to compelte cert II (the starting point)

Where are you in Sydney womaboy?

I was in the zoo industry for about 15 years. It can be an extremely rewarding job. I did captive animal management cert 3 at Taronga. This was back some years ago and I've heard it is pretty pricey now! This cert3 course is what all the zoos and parks want to see as a minimum, if you haven't done the course they at least want you working towards it!

Second thing you should do is to get as much hands on experience as you can! So start volunteering ( hence why I asked where in syd you live) say yes to all the **** jobs and do it with a smile on your face. Once your done go ask for more work! Then more!

Im happy to talk to you more about the knitty gritty of the zoo game if you wish? Pm me if you have anymore questions and ill be able to point you in the right direction.

cheers Chris

Thanks guys! My parents and i will be looking into all these options! My dream is to become in the reptile section - Like taking care of the snakes and doing croc shows - i know it seems far fetched but if i try hard enough i can see my self acheiving this :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Mate you have the right mind set to acheive this, and no its not far fetched. Having that determination is what will get you there so hang on to that, without it I wouldnt be were I am today.
things have changed a lot in the industry especially over the past 10 years, but the zoo keeping industry is still a very board occupation to get into. These days I would strongly recomend getting certified background behind you. Cert 2 and cert 3 in animal care. Richmond is highly looked upon within the industry due to the teaching and guidence of greame phipps and brad walker. Being in sydney is a good advantage for you that you have good access to the educational avenues. you also have a broad range of zoo and wildlife parks to gain practical experience from. I strongly recommend doing work experience and volunteer work at not just one but a few institutions. Each institution opperates differently and there is a big difference between government and private and its worth while to get a feel for how they run not to mention what is really involved in the career so you know what lies ahead. I would recommend trying to get work experience at Featherdale, Reptile Park, Symbio, Wildlife world, and Taronga.
Depending on where you gain employment will determine how much involvement you have in your key species but remember that rome wasnt built in a day, you may end up reptile handling and croc feeding withing a few years, it may take ten, but if you stick with it youll get there

- - - Updated - - -

I was in the zoo industry for about 15 years. It can be an extremely rewarding job. I did captive animal management cert 3 at Taronga. This was back some years ago and I've heard it is pretty pricey now! This cert3 course is what all the zoos and parks want to see as a minimum, if you haven't done the course they at least want you working towards it!

Second thing you should do is to get as much hands on experience as you can! So start volunteering ( hence why I asked where in syd you live) say yes to all the **** jobs and do it with a smile on your face. Once your done go ask for more work! Then more!

Im happy to talk to you more about the knitty gritty of the zoo game if you wish? Pm me if you have anymore questions and ill be able to point you in the right direction.

cheers Chris
Fully agree with Chris, likewise if you want more info advise/ info feel free to pm me. As with what Chris said get in there and get your hands dirty and when your done ask for more. This is what will make you stand out as keeper potential. Many places especially private zoos often employ internally with junior positions going to volleys and students for the simple reason that staff and supervisers have seen the potential of these people for 6-12 months and know if they can work efficiently for their zoo/ buisness.

How much do zoo keepers get paid? Is it enough to support a family, buy a house, travel etc? Are there enough jobs that you'll have consistent employment until you retire? Important things to consider when looking at a career.
Ive always viewed it as:
Get paid well and do what you love for free. Or get paid less and do what you love all time.
With the stress of family I really couldn't survive at my current level of comfort on less than $110k per year. I could probably survive with no comfort on as little as $80k.

How much do zoo keepers get paid? Is it enough to support a family, buy a house, travel etc? Are there enough jobs that you'll have consistent employment until you retire? Important things to consider when looking at a career.
Ive always viewed it as:
Get paid well and do what you love for free. Or get paid less and do what you love all time.
With the stress of family I really couldn't survive at my current level of comfort on less than $110k per year. I could probably survive with no comfort on as little as $80k.

Thats exactly why I stopped doing what I loved!!!

I don't know how I do it. And that's the sacrifice. Basically live through the skin of my teeth. Working on side projects to make life a bit more comfortable but its definatley a tough game once you have a family. For the young guys go for it though and have some awesome life experiences before settling down

Ooops did not realize people had covered them topics already. Good luck with your future endeavours

Last edited:

cheers Chris
i am in the Menai area of Sydney, im looking at doing the cert 3 captive animal management course at ultimo tafe. The closest zoo/wildlife park is Symbio, but i read online and you have to be 18 to volunteer :( Once i speak to my mum about it all properly i will pm you, thanks heaps!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all so much for your replies, i have read them all very carefully, and if it means i have to move around, live a basic life and means i can't go out every weekend.. so be it! The one thing i don't want to do when i am older is get up and hate my job and count the hours until its over, i want to get up excited and looking forward to another day at work doing what i love! Unfortunately im only 16, and at symbio you have to be 18 to volunteer there :(

- - - Updated - - -

Mate you have the right mind set to acheive this, and no its not far fetched. Having that determination is what will get you there so hang on to that, without it I wouldnt be were I am today.
things have changed a lot in the industry especially over the past 10 years, but the zoo keeping industry is still a very board occupation to get into. These days I would strongly recomend getting certified background behind you. Cert 2 and cert 3 in animal care. Richmond is highly looked upon within the industry due to the teaching and guidence of greame phipps and brad walker. Being in sydney is a good advantage for you that you have good access to the educational avenues. you also have a broad range of zoo and wildlife parks to gain practical experience from. I strongly recommend doing work experience and volunteer work at not just one but a few institutions. Each institution opperates differently and there is a big difference between government and private and its worth while to get a feel for how they run not to mention what is really involved in the career so you know what lies ahead. I would recommend trying to get work experience at Featherdale, Reptile Park, Symbio, Wildlife world, and Taronga.
Depending on where you gain employment will determine how much involvement you have in your key species but remember that rome wasnt built in a day, you may end up reptile handling and croc feeding withing a few years, it may take ten, but if you stick with it youll get there

- - - Updated - - -

Fully agree with Chris, likewise if you want more info advise/ info feel free to pm me. As with what Chris said get in there and get your hands dirty and when your done ask for more. This is what will make you stand out as keeper potential. Many places especially private zoos often employ internally with junior positions going to volleys and students for the simple reason that staff and supervisers have seen the potential of these people for 6-12 months and know if they can work efficiently for their zoo/ buisness.

Thankyou so much for this reply! i will take onboard everything you have all told me, i will try hard to find a volunteer place that will accept me! Once i do find somewhere i will be doing all the ****** jobs, and asking for more exactly like you said! All this advice you guys have given me is going to be very useful! thankyous all! I will Pm you also with some questions my mum throws at me or that i think of, thank you for all the help! :)

That's not the end of it all! I'm from jannali I now live in canberra but ill be in Sydney not this week end but the following if your still interested to chat? Actually I'm moving on some animals to Sydney aquarium that weekend might be a good opportunity to chat to the guy coming around my place. Balls in your court woma boy? Oh I know the guys at symbio! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back