beardie setup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
or you could just cut a hole in the mesh that is just a fraction bigger than the light fitting.
Q.did you know that mesh can cut UV rays by up to 95%

95%? Dont know what mesh you have been using but from tests i have seen it is no where near 95% blocked uv, it may be around 10% but having a proper reflector on the tub or uvb spiral makes a huge difference to projected uv levels.

Rick

[MENTION=29577]dannydee[/MENTION], we use the tube UV's in our beardie tanks ourselves. I was only suggesting what would be the simplest option with the tank the OP has. And yes, you are correct. I should have mentioned a reflector.
All good. At least we're on the same page.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this advice. Spiral or compact bulbs are totally inferior to tube lights, but if you must use one, please use it with a reflector. Without a reflector, these bulbs are almost totally ineffective. Due to the design, light is emitted all the way round the bulb, and in on itself, rendering much of the produced light useless. Even with a reflector, the usable range is only 6", they are not very powerful.

Stick with the light you have, but somehow modify the lid so the light is beneath the mesh. If you make this adjustment now, it really will save you a lot of heart-ache in the future.

Good luck, you have a very lucky dragon.
Not the new Exo Terra 150s and 200s. They have a much greater UVB penetration, effective up to 50 cm (20”). Way better than the tubes for sure.

Not the new Exo Terra 150s and 200s. They have a much greater UVB penetration, effective up to 50 cm (20”). Way better than the tubes for sure.

How can you say compacts are better than tubes? A tube covers a greater area, therefore being much more useful to the animal. Even if the compacts do perform as well as the manufacturers claim, light is still being wasted due to it shining in on itself. Yes, compacts will save you money, but they are by no mean superior over a decent tube. Arcadia T5 tubes are effective to the same range, are a lot more efficient and last for a year.

I have been lead to believe that dragons need to be able to get within 15-20cm for the tubes to be effective, the new compacts have a superior uvb range. I am only going on what I have been told plus followup research

We use the tubes in our beardie tanks, mainly because that's what they have been set up for. One tank we've had for about 12 years, the other two I bought off gumtree and already had them in. Honestly, have never had any problems with behaviour or health in our beardies. If I was going to set up now, having seen how well these new globes work. I would go with them I think.
Just guessing, there's about 30-40cm from tube to floor of tank.
We do have one of the Exo Terra 10 globes in our water monitor tank, and they seem to be attracted to it (when they're not in the water or under the basking lamp!). We positioned it over the water, with a branch for them to climb on to get closer.

95%? Dont know what mesh you have been using but from tests i have seen it is no where near 95% blocked uv, it may be around 10% but having a proper reflector on the tub or uvb spiral makes a huge difference to projected uv levels.Rick

I said UP to 95%,not all mesh is the same .check out this physical demonstration at Penrith Reptile Expo 2014...http://www.australianbeardies.net/forum/showthread.php?5574-After-ideas..
post no.6 shows a reduction of 56%.I was there I saw it first hand.

Last edited:
I said UP to 95%,not all mesh is the same .check out this physical demonstration at Penrith Reptile Expo 2014...http://www.australianbeardies.net/forum/showthread.php?5574-After-ideas..
post #6

Where are reports on 95% reduced uvb?

Did you use the same mesh as exoterra or other brands or did you just buy the most intense mesh you could? Diamond woven mesh doesnt seem to be the normal type used.

Have you done any testing on black aluminium flyscreen? Looking at replacing my exo terras mesh as its all rusting and think the black mesh would look good.

Rick

I confess I don't remember exactly where I read it,I have read thousands of posts on dozens of forums from many countries over the years as well as many scientific journals.
Let's just agree that any type of filtration,whether it is mesh or glass or plastic cuts down on UV to varying extents so obviously it is better to have no filters between lights and our creatures so they can enjoy the best of what we have to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back