Exotic animal keepers permit (NSW)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamalicious

Reaction score
G'day

So just a query after talking to someone today. They said they knew a guy who kept and bred exotics, when i asked about the legalities of this, he said the guy has an exotic animal keepers permit. The guy is in NSW.

Does anyone know if this permit actually exist? I was under the impression you had to be a zoo to keep exotics and i can't find anything about the permit online. Just curious to see if its real or not.

load of bs, no exotic permits.....ever,only zoos.....

Yeah i was pretty sure that was the case. Ive never heard of anyone other than researchers or zoos being able to keep them and even then the license costs a fortune and is heavily monitored.

There was an amnesty a few years ago, anyone that declared them were issued a specific licence and allowed to keep them. They can only sell to others with the same licence and species, and no new licenses will be issued.

There were people with tigers and other random animals as well that got the same treatment, not just reptiles.

I know of someone who has a snake on amnesty. It's microchipped and the license authority's scan that chip every 12 months along with having to apply every year to keep it there's absolutely no breeding the animals on amnesties

There was an amnesty a few years ago, anyone that declared them were issued a specific licence and allowed to keep them. They can only sell to others with the same licence and species, and no new licenses will be issued.

There were people with tigers and other random animals as well that got the same treatment, not just reptiles.

Tigers not on a zoo license in private hands in Australia?

depends on the "Exotic" up here in QLD other than zoos ... no go for Exotic Reptiles (class 1 pest) though there are Demonstrators up here with Class 3 pests ... so Zebras , bison and camels . Hopefully soon the Class 2 pests will be opened to Demonstrators so we can have Dingo's !!!

I think its crazy that a Native animal such as a dingo is classed as a pest but i guess that for someone else to decide :)

Last edited:
depends on the "Exotic" up here in QLD other than zoos ... no go for Exotic Reptiles (class 1 pest) though there are people here with Class 3 pests ... so Zebras , bison and camels . Hopefully soon the Class 2 pests will be opened to Demonstrators so we can have Dingo's !!!

I think its crazy that a Native animal such as a dingo is classed as a pest but i guess that for someone else to decide :)

The reason they are classed as pests is because money talks and the sheep industry has more money and political power. Just like when the cane toad was released, there was a huge uproar but the cane industry had more money and political power.

The reason they are classed as pests is because money talks and the sheep industry has more money and political power. Just like when the cane toad was released, there was a huge uproar but the cane industry had more money and political power.

Ahhh yes ... totally understand!

It's crazy that in queensland commonly kept native mammals aren't allowed on a rec either but that's queensland for you. Some of the best IMO reptile and bird keeping laws but all mammals are no go.

- - - Updated - - -

You can actually keep exotics other than a zoo license from my understanding in queensland but you need an exhibitors license rather than a demonstrators license.

I know of someone who has a snake on amnesty. It's microchipped and the license authority's scan that chip every 12 months along with having to apply every year to keep it there's absolutely no breeding the animals on amnesties

I know a least 10 people the same as you posted about planky.
only in victoria not n.s.w.

It's funny, in Vic they just released last year a specific dingo owners license(which is so awesome, especially for species conservation). Previously dingos could only be kept in sanctuaries or zoos, now they can be kept privately. There are some pretty tight restrictions on how they are kept, but nothing special required to attain the license iteslf.
Yet domestic dogs who have been bred with Dingos(so mixed dingo breeds) require no license at all and are considered domestic pets. Go figure.

I like that we can keep an extensive list of mammals in Vic. I can keep red or grey kangaroos if I like, yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back