Question about mesh covers for light & ceramic heater

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty75

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I may be buying a second hand enclosure which has the top mounted light and ceramic heater set up as shown in the photo. It was previously used to house a beardie but I'm looking to get it for my Stimmie.

I've read stories of snakes burning themselves when the mesh enclosures haven't been used so wanted to know whether I need to get a mesh enclosure for both the light bulb and ceramic heater or just the heater as I'm not sure whether two enclosures will fit next to each other.

Thanks

Marty

Terrarium lights.jpg

Some people are not cut out for keeping snakes.
Common sense would tell anyone that the mesh cage must be large enough not to get too hot itself. A small mesh cage that heats up above 70 degrees C is useless.

Cage the heater, as for the "light" I'm assuming it's a basking spot light? since it use to house a beardie. Shouldn't need it

Common sense would tell anyone that the mesh cage must be large enough not to get too hot itself. A small mesh cage that heats up above 70 degrees C is useless.

What kind of mesh cage would you recommend for the ceramic heater?

For my snakes I cage both ceramics and light globes. This prevents them from burning themselves and from damaging the globes and or fittings by hanging off the globes (I know of someone who covered ceramic but not light and kept finding the globes smashed on the bottom that had been unscrewed presumably from the snake wrapping itself around it).

Obviously the cages need to be big enough to not heat up as previously pointed out and if you can not find one that is big enough just build your own ;)

Cage them both.
Lights can get extremely hot.

Cage must also be suitable so that small snakes can't get stuck in there.

- - - Updated - - -

Bit cranky today bud?

Personally I'd mount the lights outside/on top of the enclosure then mesh the opening.
That enclosure is simply too small in height to mesh cage the light/s.

Personally I'd mount the lights outside/on top of the enclosure then mesh the opening.
That enclosure is simply too small in height to mesh cage the light/s.

This is also a good idea but be prepared for heat loss from a large opening on the top of your enclosure (I had one with mesh opening at the top and found as soon as the heat was off all the heat just flowed out.

Cage them both.
Lights can get extremely hot.

Cage must also be suitable so that small snakes can't get stuck in there.

- - - Updated - - -

Bit cranky today bud?

haha :) Not at all. But I've seen hundreds of cages that are pointless. And hundreds of people house snakes in adequately. I stand by my comment some people don't get it.

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of mesh cage would you recommend for the ceramic heater?
Just the XL cages around are fine for ceramics. As long as you can put your hand on it and leave it there it's fine.

I prefer just using a heat Matt. Don't have to worry about caging lights and stuff.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I prefer just using a heat Matt. Don't have to worry about caging lights and stuff.

Depends what you are trying to achieve. Mats (one t) don't create a decent ambient temperature. So aren't any good
for feeding yearlings through winter in a cooler climate like Perth.

Ah fair enough. I'm in qld so I don't have to worry too much haha

If you wanted to house both the CHE and the light in the 1 cage it is easy enough to make a rectangular cage with snake wire (the small gauge wire with square holes) that way both your units are safe. :) .................................Ron

I would assume that the light is a UVB and therefore not needed for your snake. It can be done away with completely or replaced with something like an 8W compact fluorescent or even a night light for night tme observations.

The size of the light cage for the CHE is going to depend on the wattage of it, as this will determine how hot it gets. Given that it was for a bearded I would check the basking temperature as the wattage of the CHE supplied may be too hot for a stimmie.

You can get welded stainless steel Rodent Mesh with the wire 0.8 mm diameter and the square mesh at 0.6 mm, 9.5 mm and 11 mm between strands, with which to construct your light cages. Being shiny, the stainless steel will not absorb as much IR from the CHE and so will remain cooler. Check out "stainless steel wire and mesh" on the net. Most rodent mesh is galvanised and woven but is still quite suitable and usable, but the cage will need to be a little bigger.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back