Ferret vs cat...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

princessparrot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Ok so my little sister is demanding she gets one since I have all these pets I want and my parents are considering getting her one for her:shock: but I know that neither would really be good in this household since pretty much all our other pets are common prey to them(birds,lizards,frogs,guinea pig, fish ect) but I just can't talk her out of it and her and my parents just don't seem to get the idea of how risky it is, not to add the fact that my brothers allergic to cats! And cos my other pets have a lot of time out and about(my birds pretty much all day every day where ever they want) with them mainly staying in the family room and back/rumpus room.
so really the main question is which would be better for this house?(even though I know neither would be good)
if only I could talk her out of it :(
and also it will probably need to spend most of its time in her room.

- - - Updated - - -

I did think you could keep ferrets in cages most of the time but apparently not...

I think you also need a license for ferrets in the ACT, unless they have changed that......

Ferret, at least it won't be roaming 24/7 as opposed to a cat. But yea ferrets need time out of their cage every single day.

Ferret, at least it won't be roaming 24/7 as opposed to a cat. But yea ferrets need time out of their cage every single day.
Yeah, I figured a ferret would probably be better and since they're smaller and stuff. Would just her room and the hallway be enough room for it to run around if we also got a harness to take it outside and could she keep it in a large cage just overnight an while she's at school. I know I would prefer a ferret and feel more comfortable with them

Ferrets are cool but they stink and can be quite nippy. Do you think your sister will be willing to live with the smell in her room? Will she lose interest once she gets bitten a few times?

Ferrets are cool but they stink and can be quite nippy. Do you think your sister will be willing to live with the smell in her room? Will she lose interest once she gets bitten a few times?
I have heard they stink mainly because of these glands... Is it a rodent kind of stink? She is really unpredictable with these things

Its a different kind of smell. Its not entirely unpleasant but its not pleasant. It's a kind of sweet smelling musk. But it is VERY strong. Love ferrets but they aren't for everyone!

EDIT: to add, you gotta remember its not an "unclean" smell... its a marking smell so washing them won't change anything for more than a couple of hours.

As above. The smell is unique and not pleasant. I had two when I was a teenager and they were great but they weren't in my room. They took quite a while to calm down and one was still quite unpredictable.

really depends on what breed of cat.. mine has never attempted to attack my smaller pets.. doesn't roam or killed any wildlife.. ragdolls are the best breed lol no idea on ferret keeping due to qld laws :( has she considered a bunny? less hazardous to other pets, and can probably be housed with the guinea pigs (depending on size of cage of course) eat basically the same, probably quieter than the other options too! and super mega cute!!! lol

really depends on what breed of cat.. mine has never attempted to attack my smaller pets.. doesn't roam or killed any wildlife.. ragdolls are the best breed lol no idea on ferret keeping due to qld laws :( has she considered a bunny? less hazardous to other pets, and can probably be housed with the guinea pigs (depending on size of cage of course) eat basically the same, probably quieter than the other options too! and super mega cute!!! lol
she did have a rabbit but he died about two months ago.
with "ragdolls are the best" is that in behaviour or what? Have to admit I do love the look of ragdoll kittens

what are some smaller cat breeds

Last edited:
If your sister has her heart set on a furry, four-legged pet that she can stroke and pat and this will be appreciated, then a pet rat is the ideal. They are intelligent, affectionate, bond with their owner, come when called and their favourite spot is on their owner's shoulder. They are also particularly clean and not very demanding and love being handled. You can teach them tricks, if she is that way inclined and they are relatively cheap to buy and maintain. There is a good range of varieties to choose from and the pet ones are absolutely nothing like their wild cousins. Being social animals it is best to have two (or more if desired). Males may produce a slight musky odour but females do not. Best to have both the same sex or one de-sexed. See if you can get your sister to google "rats as pets" and have a read. She might also find it interesting to know that the Michael Jackson song "Ben" was written about his pet rat. They really are very sweet, loveable and affectionate pets.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.ferretclub.org.au/resources/files/caresheet.pdf
Personally I would steer away from A ferret with anyone who is younger or immature not trying to imply anything, Sure they seem cool and different pets but they need alot of maintenance to be kept healthy and happy. I would love some myself but can't up here in QLD which sucks I have considered going down south and bringing em back but abit iffy on vets ect.

I linked A caresheet for you/her to read over to get some info and I have also read that bathing ferrets can be A bad idea as it strips the natural oils from their coats but don't quote that.

I would recommend A cat pretty bullet proof except and the only con I personally have is the I'll come to you when I want mentality some cats have :p. Plus adopting from the RSPCA will help the unwanted numbers :)
I found found A mainecoon mix (well I think he was anyway) couple of years ago and he was the best cat I have ever owned more like A dog lol would come when called and follow me round everywhere. That was until my old neighbours pigging dogs got him when he bolted out the door,

If your sister has her heart set on a furry, four-legged pet that she can stroke and pat and this will be appreciated, then a pet rat is the ideal. They are intelligent, affectionate, bond with their owner, come when called and their favourite spot is on their owner's shoulder. They are also particularly clean and not very demanding and love being handled. You can teach them tricks, if she is that way inclined and they are relatively cheap to buy and maintain. There is a good range of varieties to choose from and the pet ones are absolutely nothing like their wild cousins. Being social animals it is best to have two (or more if desired). Males may produce a slight musky odour but females do not. Best to have both the same sex or one de-sexed. See if you can get your sister to google "rats as pets" and have a read. She might also find it interesting to know that the Michael Jackson song "Ben" was written about his pet rat. They really are very sweet, loveable and affectionate pets.

Blue

Cat over ferret because when i googled ferrets as pets it all sounded alot more time consuming. Unlike a cat i get the vibe they wouldnt like to be left home alone all day while your sisters at school. And some looked angry lol.

I agree rats are great pets i had one many yrs ago n he was very cute :)

Mike this post made me feel bad for feeding them to my snakes lol. Mj song is sweet lol i used to wonder what it was about lol i only learnt a few yrs back the true meaning :)

Last edited:
Get a big fluffy Kitten ! like a Maine Coon or Siberian Cat.

- - - Updated - - -

The males get to about 9kg and live for 20+ years

I've had ferrets most of my life & without sounding uppity...it does take a sense of maturity from the owner to look after them. One nip & not understanding why they nipped you would certainly turn your sister off & her fearfulness would result in neglecting the creature.
Yes, you do get used to the musky smell but because its oil based it will linger in fabrics used for its bedding.
Toilet training can be frustrating too. They'll usually choose one corner to do their business & the moment you put a kitty litter tray in that corner, they'll choose another spot.
I've always kept their enclosures outside, properly sheltered form the sun, wind & rain but always had a 2nd smaller enclosure inside when the elements were too harsh outside.
They are beautiful, intelligent creatures but not one to have on a whim.

As other have touched on, Ferrets are good, but smelly and can be vicious. That said, a friend of mine had an adorable, cuddly one which was just beautiful. I suppose like anything you have to put quality time into them. He had this great enclosure for them with pipes and all sorts of obstacles that they loved (he was a plumber by trade)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taken from my friend's webpage but I think this is really important for people to read before adopting a ferret....make sure she does her research first if she wants a ferret as they can be a handful for those who aren't prepared!

1. My life is likely to last 6-9 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you buy me.

2. Give me time to understand what you want from me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well being.

4. Don't be angry at me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I have only you and your toes.

5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I do not understand the words, I understand your voice when you are speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you trust me, I will never forget.

7. Remember before you punish me that I have jaws that could easily crush the bones of your hand, but I have chosen not to bite you that hard.

8. Before you scold me for being "uncooperative", "obstinate" or "sad", ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I am not getting the right attention or I am sick.

9. Take care of me when I get old; you too will grow old.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. never say, "I can't bear to watch it" or "Let it happen in my absence". Please never say, "Let the vet do it". Everything is easier for me if you are there.

I would definitely say ferrets though. They are fantastic animals and will no doubt make you smile and giggle every day. I love my boy to death, he is my best friend. He's an absolute sweetheart...never nips (unless we are wrestling but even then it is just a soft 'mouth' that never leaves a mark), gives kisses, follows my around, comes when I call, falls asleep on my lap when he's done playing, climbs up onto my shoulder and is just so friendly and inquisitive :D If you put in the time, effort and love your ferret will no doubt be a loving, cuddly and sweet animal.
...and their war dances are cuter than anything a cat will do ;)

[MENTION=34190]sharky[/MENTION] i think this is the perfect time 4 u 2 share a pic of your little one :D he sounds cute lol

Taken from my friend's webpage but I think this is really important for people to read before adopting a ferret....make sure she does her research first if she wants a ferret as they can be a handful for those who aren't prepared!

I would definitely say ferrets though. They are fantastic animals and will no doubt make you smile and giggle every day. I love my boy to death, he is my best friend. He's an absolute sweetheart...never nips (unless we are wrestling but even then it is just a soft 'mouth' that never leaves a mark), gives kisses, follows my around, comes when I call, falls asleep on my lap when he's done playing, climbs up onto my shoulder and is just so friendly and inquisitive :D If you put in the time, effort and love your ferret will no doubt be a loving, cuddly and sweet animal.
...and their war dances are cuter than anything a cat will do ;)
Do you recon you could post a pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back