how mutch should i feed my python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bladesmurray

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guy I fed my Murray Darling 3 pinkies yesterday but he still looking for more any ideas y I only got him yesterday so I'm a bit lost

Hi and welcome.

You really need to post a few more details as to the age, size, environment temperatures etc before anyone can even attempt to answer your questions.

Cheers

Pinkies are never large enough food items for carpets. Hatchlings start on velvets or hoppers. Give it a larger mouse.

or try to get it onto rats! =].

Depending on who you talk to will depend on how much you should feed your carpet. They can eat crazy big meals, i was blown away when my little guy started smashing rat fuzzies. The rule of thumb (Again depending on who you talk to is 1x - 2x the size of the thickest part of their body and approximately 15% - 20% of their body weight. That being said a large amount of people do not even bother with weighing or measuring and simply feed a larger rat til there is a noticeable bulge.

And yes generally speaking it is always better to feed a single food item then many, so if you don't get him off mice soon you will have trouble when he is larger feeding him many many adult mice.

And yes generally speaking it is always better to feed a single food item then many,
Please explain you reasoning behind this revelation, as in my opinion it reeks of misguided information!!

Well, my personal reasoning behind it is that it is what i have read from multiple sources, i have no further knowledge of the subject in relation to a specific reason for it, just that it is the preferred method. I have only stated that it depends on who you talk to as I personally have no formal qualifications in relation to this subject, nor would many people and as such i just go by what i have read/researched. I am sure they would be no ill effects aside from the ease of feeding a single food item.

The reasoning behind the rats is because how many mice do you want to feed to a 2 - 3 meter python... whereas a single rat and you are done.

Hi and welcome.

You really need to post a few more details as to the age, size, environment temperatures etc before anyone can even attempt to answer your questions.

Cheers

He was born on the 5/6 I keep his hot end at 30/30 degrees Celsius and as for environment I'm not shore wat ya mean

- - - Updated - - -

30/33 sorry

- - - Updated - - -

I got him from a reptile shop who had been feeding him some pinkie a week I gave him three on the same day theve been feeding him and he's still looking for more

- - - Updated - - -

One pinkie not some

Well, my personal reasoning behind it is that it is what i have read from multiple sources, i have no further knowledge of the subject in relation to a specific reason for it, just that it is the preferred method. I have only stated that it depends on who you talk to as I personally have no formal qualifications in relation to this subject, nor would many people and as such i just go by what i have read/researched. I am sure they would be no ill effects aside from the ease of feeding a single food item.

The reasoning behind the rats is because how many mice do you want to feed to a 2 - 3 meter python... whereas a single rat and you are done.

If this is what you have read and researched, please share the references.

What kind of pinky are you feeding him?
Rat? Mouse?

If he's eating 3x Pinkys in a meal, then bump up the size of the prey items to the same size equivalent.
e.g. If he's eating 3x Pinky Rats, Offer him a Fuzzy/Velvet Rat.

No harm feeding multiple prey items. I do this before upgrading to larger prey items as I do not want to have rats sitting in my freezer that are not going to be used.

Thanks that's helpful personally I thort I should have got velvets but as I Got him from a reptile store I thought ID LIsten to them jes ruffly 40 cm length and I think he would of had another if I had offered it oh and pinkie mice I might try pinky rats for next feed

- - - Updated - - -

He's not jes

Please explain you reasoning behind this revelation, as in my opinion it reeks of misguided information!!

Im curious from the other perspective. Why is feeding one rat, like a snake would do in the wild, greatly misguided, but feeding multiple, smaller feed items, which i doubt would happen often in the wild, is the correct way of feeding? Doesn't really make sense to me...

Im curious from the other perspective. Why is feeding one rat, like a snake would do in the wild, greatly misguided, but feeding multiple, smaller feed items, which i doubt would happen often in the wild, is the correct way of feeding? Doesn't really make sense to me...

What makes you think that if a wild snake came across a nest of rats or mice that they would stop at just one?

There is no right or wrong way.For instance I feed smaller items more often as they get moving quicker which helps keep better muscle tone as they digest quicker as opposed to larger items less often.

A number of smaller food items will digest quicker than 1 food item totalling the same weight because there is more surface area per unit food weight for the digestive juices of the snake to act upon.
I would try to feed a single larger item rather than 3 pinkies as the larger item will be more mature with more fur and bone. Pinkies are mainly water and so not overly nutritious.

What makes you think that if a wild snake came across a nest of rats or mice that they would stop at just one?

There is no right or wrong way.For instance I feed smaller items more often as they get moving quicker which helps keep better muscle tone as they digest quicker as opposed to larger items less often.

If you read what i said again, you'll see i said "which i doubt would happen often" i never said i don't think it happens, I'm just saying that it is normal for a snake to eat one large meal. Obviously on occasion they will eat multiple small ones. But to say that feeding one correct size instead of multiple small items is greatly misguided, i think is also greatly misguided.

Also i would say that feeding smaller items more often is even worse than feeding multiple smaller items less often, as the snake will constantly be trying to digest food and not receiving a break to cool down between meals. Im not suggesting that you are feeding too often, i just think it's good to clarify that feeding a snake too regularly is not good, incase any new keepers are reading.

Also i would say that feeding smaller items more often is even worse than feeding multiple smaller items less often, as the snake will constantly be trying to digest food and not receiving a break to cool down between meals. Im not suggesting that you are feeding too often, i just think it's good to clarify that feeding a snake too regularly is not good, incase any new keepers are reading.

As I wrote earlier there is no right or wrong way.The oldest pythons I have here,a pair of bhps and a pair of darwins, are well over 25 YO now and I have been feeding them the way I described for years now so I doubt that there is too much wrong with my methods.

Because he's a snake haha. Portion control is up to you, some snakes will keep eating until they can't fit anymore inside.

Because he's a snake haha. Portion control is up to you, some snakes will keep eating until they can't fit anymore inside.
I know hes a snake and they will eat all they can but I've had plenty of snakes and there's a diffrence between looking for food and acting starving I don't understand y u people brother commenting of use are only gonna b rude and act like u know it all forums like this are made so people can ask questions and her other people's opinions that's all they are opinions there's no need to try show everyone up and act all hie and mighty

I know hes a snake and they will eat all they can but I've had plenty of snakes and there's a diffrence between looking for food and acting starving I don't understand y u people brother commenting of use are only gonna b rude and act like u know it all forums like this are made so people can ask questions and her other people's opinions that's all they are opinions there's no need to try show everyone up and act all hie and mighty

Sorry mate, i think my comment has just come across the wrong way. i meant that in a completely light hearted way and was just making a joke that most snakes are always hungry. Most of mine give me the puppy dog eyes after they've finished a big rat. Honestly didn't mean to be rude or disrespectful in anyway. Apologies.

OK mate sorry if I over reacted just sick of people giving greef on here its amazing how cute a snake can actually b hey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back