cooling question???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nebben838

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been reading about this but thought I might ask a couple of questions about it.
I've been cooling my darwin pythons for about 3 months now and have Ben putting them together on and of for about 4 weeks. I've seen them copulating (I belive thats the correct term) several times now.
My question is when should I start feeding them again? I guess I can feed the male when I'm no longer putting them together but at what point should I feed the female? Do I have to wait until after she lays her eggs, assuming all goes well.
Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers Ben.

feed the male when they stop matting make sure to put him back onto 24 hour heat. After you take the eggs off your girl clean her cage put her on 24 hour heat and try in 2-3 days.
-Liam

feed the male when they stop matting make sure to put him back onto 24 hour heat. After you take the eggs off your girl clean her cage put her on 24 hour heat and try in 2-3 days.
-Liam
Why 24 hour heat? I've never given any of my adults 24/7 heat. 12/12 is all they need.

What if the time ambient temperatures drop to like 6 degrees or lower witch it does regularly here in sa?its just easyer with 24/7 heat than to try keep a stable night temp

Does the temp in the enclosure drop to 6 degrees though or are you referring to outside temperature? I only use 12/12 heat cycle when feeding and as long as they have a good hot spot then it makes no difference

Talking about adult snakes blades. Give juvies 24/7 first year at least.

What if the time ambient temperatures drop to like 6 degrees or lower witch it does regularly here in sa?its just easyer with 24/7 heat than to try keep a stable night temp
An adult Darwin of say 2-4 kilos should have enough thermal mass to get through the night with the resdual heat from the day, as it does in its home range. As snow said babies do better with 24/7 heat as they have less thermal mass. I would agree that if the ambient cage temperature drops to 6C overnight it would be wise to provide supplementary heat.

The other night it was -1 degrees here do I have no choice but to provide heat at night i don't have it at 33degrees 24/7 tho i have a separate heat system that comes on at night and stays at about 20/24 depending on seasons

Oh sorry I miss read I didn't realize you were talking about adults

Does the temp in the enclosure drop to 6 degrees though or are you referring to outside temperature? I only use 12/12 heat cycle when feeding and as long as they have a good hot spot then it makes no difference
Sorry I didn't read correctly didn't realize this was about adults specifically and yes if I didn't have I night heating system my tanks would drop well below 6 degrees some nights as it gets to as low as -1 degrees here at night lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back