What the hell.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amynickid

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Okay so Anarchy my jungle python has stopped twitching his head, he had a two day long head twitch only happened slightly and like 5 times, I'm assuming it was because of larger rodent last week. Now he isn't twitching his head. He just had a poop in the garden. As he was pooing his hemeipene inverted only one I'm aware of, semen also came out and when i was holding him to take back to enclosure he puffed up his throat at me. Then his heart/ lung area made a gurgling sound.... I'm worried about the lil guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, my family is literally struggling so i cant ask for money off them atm. Don't have any money spare, cant even afford a bus.

- - - Updated - - -

Im only worried about why did his body gurgled near where his heart is located... that's it...

Last edited:
No, my family is literally struggling so i cant ask for money off them atm. Don't have any money spare, cant even afford a bus.

- - - Updated - - -

Im only worried about why did his body gurgled near where his heart is located... that's it...

I'm honestly not sure what it could be.
Maybe you can ring a vet and see if you can get a rough idea. Not sure how that would go.

I'm not trying to have a go or start an argument but maybe it's better if you pass your snake on to someone with the funds to be able to help it incase it gets serious?

I would suggest ringing your local reptile vet and tell them your situation. Ask them if there is a way that you could possibly enter a payment plan or come to another arrangement for payment (i.e. volunteer over a couple of weekends). Most vets are vets because they love animals and will possibly help you out. There are always alternative ways of achieving things if you're willing to do a bit of work.

Sounds like a respiratory infection and is caused by cold and damp conditions.

he only did it a few times while i was holding him once. not doing it any more.I upped his heat. his hot spot was 31 degrees its now 34 degrees. he stopped doing it when i put him down. and i picked him up later. he has a heat light also which is on mostr days and cold area doesnt get colder than 24 degrees usually....

- - - Updated - - -

enclosure is not damp, and also well controlled temps

- - - Updated - - -

I am not getting rid of him, he's family. I honestly think he is fine, I am hoping it's just my anxiety blowing things out of proportion. I will be taking him for a vet check soon hopefully.

BrownHash has the best advice. There is no harmin calling a reptile vet for advice. What's the worst that can happen? They say go see someone else?
They are likely to give you some advice over the phone. Call and ask if the veterinary doctor on shift could call you back for some advice when they are free and can spare some time for a brief chat
Nothing to lose other than <10 minutes of your life spent on the phone.

I'd seriously consider calling a vet.

Ive called a vet, they wont do nythin without a consultation.. $60 buckds i dont have atm. i have a interview for a job tomorrow. He seems perfectly fine. i honestly think it was my anxiety getting the better of me. as it was a once off.

Have you heated the enclosure throughout winter?
Does his mid section appear soft and squashy? I'm thinking the noise is likely to be last weeks dinner.

31 Temp, how many hours a day is that maintained for?

Pretty sure consuming a larger meal item will not give your snake "head twitching".

The snake probably has no need to visit the vet. Most pythons, in particular Carpets of all types, will occasionally twitch their heads while resting - just a single flick, without becoming unsettled at all. QUITE NORMAL! As far as the gurgling goes, just like humans, sometimes snakes get a build-up of gas in their digestive tract, and as this is basically a long tube, the gas can move either way depending on where it is at the time the snake is moved or carried, causing a bit of gurgling. QUITE NORMAL!

If the snake is otherwise behaving normally, coiling normally, and feeding, then it has no health issues needing a vet visit. Its response to the offer of food is always a good indicator of general good health.

Jamie

his temp is that in hot spot all day every day. i just upped it alittle bit. he has a heat light to only a 25watt. his mid section is muscly.

- - - Updated - - -

his temp is that in hot spot all day every day. i just upped it alittle bit. he has a heat light to only a 25watt. his mid section is muscly. and actually, yes head twitching could indicate a unaligned jaw from a larger feed or same sized feed.......

Pythoninfinite, he does it quite often. and i never noticed it before last week. he twitched at least one real twitch today... the rest cud have just been my eyes playing tricks on me. really worried. its R.I....

- - - Updated - - -

coiling normally, hes abit more adventouros. but hes in season atm. hes eating once a fourtnight also.... without fail

no... the light is on temporarily... the heat is on 34/7. not the lights they are on a few hours a day... 8 hours max

- - - Updated - - -

He is eating fine, pooping, shedding regularly (every 2months), temps are fine. just turned them up just incase.., hes active, perching normally... even more active than usual. is it still possible he could have early stages of RI? I am in the processof saving up for a vet check and possibly more money for worst case scenario.... i hope not.

- - - Updated - - -

He is eating fine, pooping, shedding regularly (every 2months), temps are fine. just turned them up just incase.., hes active, perching normally... even more active than usual. is it still possible he could have early stages of RI? I am in the processof saving up for a vet check and possibly more money for worst case scenario.... i hope not.

There is a facebook page called reptile quarantine & virus awareness where you can post to and a reptile vet will tell you what he believes you need to dp, and what he would do if he saw you in a consult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest that if this was RI your animal would be refusing food.
What is the night time temp in the enclosure?

RI can be caused by other things such as stress but it's not likely stress as again the animal is feeding.
If enclosure conditions/temps are being maintained as appropriate I don't see the liklihood of this being RI caused through winter conditions.

I'm not sure what the relationship is between RI and a short twitch. Snakes with RI display specific behaviours.
I have seen many snakes twitch over the years, not one of them had RI.

There is a facebook page called reptile quarantine & virus awareness where you can post to and a reptile vet will tell you what he believes you need to dp, and what he would do if he saw you in a consult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was posted on FB and the OP didn't respond well to any of the suggestions made and claimed to know everything already. An admin chose to close the topic due to know it all attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back