Good Live plants theme for a Boyds forrest dragon?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlenCoco

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
hey guys, im looking at getting a boyd and im toying with the idea of going the whole 9 yeards and getting live plants

what i was wondering is what plants would people recommend to give a rainforrest type feel, mosses , ferns ect. also if i should get soil or get plants that are fine in gravel and stuff as soil can have little hidden nasties

i plan for the tank to be semi aquatic and boyds require 80-90% humidity

thanks

I don't know much about keeping plants alive in enclosures but I love the look of those vines you can find twisted around trees. And arboreal dragons love them too :)

I dont think boyds need that much humidity, where did you read that?

Live plants are great but be sure to get some tough plants, reptiles locked in boxes with plants normally ends badly for the plant.

Rick

If your using live plants with boyds (which I think is a great idea) you will need lots and lots of solid branches for the boyds to climb on instead of on the live plants. Get lots of strong branches and use expanda foam to set them in place. The lizard will need to be able to climb the entire length of the enclosure vertically and horizontally on these branches to be sure it doesn't need to climb over the live plants.
As for plants, ferns on the floor of the enclosure and you can vary this up with several species. You can mount small orchids to the back wall and branches by wrapping the roots in sphagnum moss and wire them to the structure. Orchids are quite hardy when it comes to climbing but give them a good water a couple of times a week. Tree fern trunks make great upright structures and such up moisture from the ground. Other plants will grow well on them such as bromiliads but still with smallharder leafed varieties. Use uv lighting and experiment with the heating. Heat panels work quite well but it they are too close to plants the plant will suffer. If you can heat the floor with heat cord or mat and then use small spot lights around the enclosure for basking your plants may thrive more. You will need both heat lights and large UV lights for the success of both plants and reptiles.
Good luck and be sure to post pictures of the finished enclosure

Parlour Palms grow great in terrariums, but they will take over.

thanks guys for the help :)

a question concerning false bottoms and filtration. i understand false bottoms are used to help prevent mold and bacteria but is it strictly nessary? is it there purely for the ability of syphoning out the excess water? if i lay a level of pebbles under the soil/ coco peat/ sphagnum and then sand or something fine like that will that do an decent enough job of stopping the water from sitting and let it be obsorbed by the plants?

i have kept many species of fish in the past and i have never had a problem with algae or mold so that why it confuses me a little

thanks again for all the help :)

It is possible but the biggest problem is stagnant water. It will sit there and starts to smell. It is far better to use a filter.

thanks guys for the help :)

a question concerning false bottoms and filtration. i understand false bottoms are used to help prevent mold and bacteria but is it strictly nessary? is it there purely for the ability of syphoning out the excess water? if i lay a level of pebbles under the soil/ coco peat/ sphagnum and then sand or something fine like that will that do an decent enough job of stopping the water from sitting and let it be obsorbed by the plants?

i have kept many species of fish in the past and i have never had a problem with algae or mold so that why it confuses me a little

thanks again for all the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back