Snake ID Mildura VIC

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterschamps

Reaction score
Hi guys, my mates dog/cat killed this poor fella, im looking for claification on what species it is.

Ive been leaning towards western brown snake due to the black head/patterns. Any way i can tell for sure?
3a99cd5a762e45dadea39dcd34f5e574.jpg
185e06c7f2fdcc54f131df7eae5e17bb.jpg

These are the only 2 photos i have.

Cheers Paul.

Def P. aspidoryncha the Strap snouted Brown Snake

Can you guys tell us what you're basing that ID on?

Last edited:
I don't know what species it is but the two pictures look like two different snakes?

Ive been leaning towards western brown snake due to the black head/patterns. Any way i can tell for sure?

It's definitely a member of the brown snake genus Pseudonaja, due to the small head, colouration and relatively few mid-body scales. Out of the brown snakes that occur in Western Victoria, the only two that look like this are Pseudonaja mengdeni and Pseudonaja aspidorhyncha. Both have similar colouration including a darker head. Out of these two it's most probably Pseudonaja aspidorhyncha because they usually have some black scales on the neck.

No mendgeni in Vic, or anywhere nearby in nsw or Sa

No mendgeni in Vic, or anywhere nearby in nsw or Sa
Whilst I concede that P. mengdeni are not found in Victoria, they have been recorded in Danggali Conservation Park ~140 km away from Mildura. This is in the same biogeographic region of the Murray Darling Basin, so worth mentioning due to their similarity of appearance.

Whilst I concede that P. mengdeni are not found in Victoria, they have been recorded in Danggali Conservation Park ~140 km away from Mildura. This is in the same biogeographic region of the Murray Darling Basin, so worth mentioning due to their similarity of appearance.

No, not really. Its an aspid.

P. aspidorhyncha and P. mengdeni are two very different looking snakes as far as head shape and scales goes. This snake is very obviously P. aspidorhyncha due to the head, markings, the fact is looks exactly like an aspid, and the location seeing mengdeni aren't found anywhere near Victoria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back