Stimson not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

troy021079

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

New to the site and have few questions about my Stimsons python. I have had my Stimsons hatchling for 3 months now who I bought off a well known breeder, when I got it home it ate twice in 1 week and then had a shed but since July has not eaten? I know it has been winter etc but I thought having warmed up he should of taken something by now? I have his temp set to 32 degrees and have tried pinkies and just tonight live pinkies (didn't like doing it) which he shows interest but then just moves away. He has plenty of hiding spots etc and am pretty sure I have done everything right in setting up his enclosure (still in holding container as he is till a bit small for normal enclosure). Should I be worried as he is still young?

Thanks.

The rookie Troy :oops:

Can you give a bit of info on the size of the snake as well as enclosure size etc?

He is about 30cm and the enclosure is about 20cm L x 10cm W x 10cm H. I have wanted to move him into his normal enclosure but still a bit worried he is to small.

If hes not eating then hes not right to go into the larger enclosure. I would up the food size and not handle for 2 weeks and try him again.

Try not to let it get you down as some times they are just fussy eaters, once you have double checked all your husbandry - re hot and cool end temps etc you could contact the breeder to make sure all is good with others in clutch incase you feel something may be wrong or a vet check. This breed is renowned for being fussy at times especially when temps are cooler, (mine stopped for 6mths at 1.5yrs) is it in an area where it can relax without any disturbence etc that could be stressing it out? Feeding live should be last resort and a habit you really should not start as dangelling infront of a hatchling should be same effect, maybe post some pics of set up too so others can offer suggestion.

If hes not eating then hes not right to go into the larger enclosure. I would up the food size and not handle for 2 weeks and try him again.

The live mice I tried were bigger than the pinkies I normally got, again he showed interest then moved away. I don't handle him often and the only time I disturb him is to empty his water or to try to feed him.

- - - Updated - - -

Try not to let it get you down as some times they are just fussy eaters, once you have double checked all your husbandry - re hot and cool end temps etc you could contact the breeder to make sure all is good with others in clutch incase you feel something may be wrong or a vet check. This breed is renowned for being fussy at times especially when temps are cooler, (mine stopped for 6mths at 1.5yrs) is it in an area where it can relax without any disturbence etc that could be stressing it out? Feeding live should be last resort and a habit you really should not start as dangelling infront of a hatchling should be same effect, maybe post some pics of set up too so others can offer suggestion.

Thanks onelife. The people I have spoken to have said the same thing and that is not to worry to much, he is still in good condition, not skinny and still feisty, if anything he has actually grown. I will keep persevering and I will post some pics tonight in case there are any other suggestions. Yes I don't want to feed live prey but I was just trying something to try and get him started again. I have put a spare pillow case I had over the front of his enclosure so he is not disturbed.

I do have a question though, being a youngster is it normal to go a few months or extended periods without eating?

Thanks

Troy

Last edited:
Yep for stimmies thats entirely normal. First winter my female had she stopped eating.
Have you tried leaving the mouse (dead) in the enclosure overnight?

What exactly have you tried and how often are your trying to feed?
Are you going off a thermostat for your temp or a heat gun/independent thermometer?

As I said I tried dead pinkies, have poked the pinkies so they have more of a scent and live prey. I try to feed once a week at the moment. I'm just going off the thermostat at the moment but will get a thermometre this weekend I think to get a more accurate reading.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Troy

As I said I tried dead pinkies, have poked the pinkies so they have more of a scent and live prey. I try to feed once a week at the moment. I'm just going off the thermostat at the moment but will get a thermometre this weekend I think to get a more accurate reading.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Troy

Without a thermometer then you have no idea what the real temps are.Measure the temps with a thermometer early am and adjust it to the correct temps.Once you have the temps sorted out it will start feeding again.Seems just about everyone blames the animal for not feeding when most of the time it comes down to incorrect husbandry.

Yep im agreeing with ramsayi here. Thermostats can be 5? out or more. Laser temp guns are the best thing to have as you can test multiple enclosures at any one time.
But in the same basket there are still plenty more things to try before going to live food. Theres dipping in egg yolk, scentimg with birds, skinks etc.
You should only be trying to feed once a fortnight so as to not stress it out too much

Thanks peeps, I will get thermometer this weekend and see how we go. By all means I'm not blaming the animal that's why I'm here for advice. I will post if any changes.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so got a Reptile One thermometer today and the temp is hovering around 33 degrees. I tried numerous times to upload a photo but won't let me even though it's a JPEG?? Anyway just posting an update so i will try dipping the pinky in some egg yoke and see if that works which i will try in a week.

Troy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back