Funky Gecko

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's so weird. It's rounded off so perfectly. Does the knob exist just tucked underneath?

That is a little odd. Are his siblings normal?
All other bubs from the same parents have been normal.

That's so weird. It's rounded off so perfectly. Does the knob exist just tucked underneath?
The tail is rounded (nothing hidden) but also sort of thick where where it stops, sort of cowbell shaped for lack of a better description. There is no physical knob, just a tiny bump on the backside of the tail, but the whole tail pattern including that of the knob is present and wrapped around the back of the tail.

It seems to be missing a toe on three feet, or my eye sight is shot
Pretty sure the back feet both have five toes each (one is just hidden in the photo), but the front feet, he'll only ever be counting to eight on those.

There's more to the story.

Sometimes you get a dodgy egg and incubate it just for the heck of it, knowing it's unlikely to result in anything, he hatched from such an egg. The egg was like a floppy bag of snot, only 2/3 full, during incubation it took on moisture and filled out to a normal egg shape. I was quite surprised when it actually hatched though.

I find the symmetry of the deformity rather interesting, it's like nature knew there was only enough building blocks to make 2/3 of a gecko, so left some non-critical parts out during assembly.

The rounded tail causes him to fall on his back if he tries cage surfing, other than that he's fine.

I'd be interested to see if it produces "complete" offspring, weired little fellow none the less
You can be sure I'll be putting that to the test once it reaches breeding age, though pretty sure it's related to the lack of egg contents.

Of course it could be the other way around, it's possible that is genetic and a chemical feedback mechanism from the egg caused her to expel it early, ever notice how new interesting morphs (that usually don't survive) often hatch from smaller eggs (I see this from various bearded dragon posts, assuming it happens with geckos as well).

She had a second egg that had even less contents but it shriveled up in the incubator fairly early.

It would be interesting if it was genetic, though a knobless knob-tail would make for a fairly strange morph.

A knobless knob-tail morph would be strange, yet intriguing. If it's tail where reduced any further it would almost look like a lanky frog.

I cant imagine why breeding a deformed animal is being considered. It may have other problems than just a physical appearance. Id seriously hope that if it were bred none of the offspring were sold.

I cant imagine why breeding a deformed animal is being considered. It may have other problems than just a physical appearance. Id seriously hope that if it were bred none of the offspring were sold.

Please dont start this discussion. It starts with a mong gecko, leads into jags, and ends with me getting another infraction for swearing at people.
Best to just smile and nod.

Fair enough if it had a crippling deformity that made life unpleasant , but seriously? It's missing a couple of toes and a tail! Wouldn't depriving it of the right to pro-create be morraly wrong? After all isn't that what we're here for.

Fair enough if it had a crippling deformity that made life unpleasant , but seriously? It's missing a couple of toes and a tail! Wouldn't depriving it of the right to pro-create be morraly wrong? After all isn't that what we're here for.

I hope that is a joke. Unless this animal has been checked over by a vet how would you know if there wasnt more serious internal issues? Not everyone/thing should breed. Especially when its defective.

I hope that is a joke. Unless this animal has been checked over by a vet how would you know if there wasnt more serious internal issues? Not everyone/thing should breed. Especially when its defective.

Lol how judgmental is that statement, not everyone/thing should breed ? If handicapped people or animals CHOOSE to breed it's exactly that, their choice!!!

If it has an underlying issue nature will take it's course, and there's virtually nothing a vetinarian can do for internal issues with small geckos.

ive noticed you always have something negative to say when someone has an odd gecko pop up in their collection, jealousy maybe?

Last edited:
If it has a serious problem, it's going to die pretty soon. If it doesn't die soon, then it doesn't have a serious problem.

When I used to live an area with wild green tree frogs, I once encountered a green tree frog with a deformed leg. It had the third section of it's rear leg missing and the foot on that leg (not sure if it was due to injury or birth defect). Over the years I lived there, I watched it thrive. Sure, it couldn't jump perfectly, and had a little difficulty climbing, but it managed to grow to a decent size, and I believe it even bred successfully.

It seems like a pretty cool little gecko, and it just seems during development life decided that in order for it to survive it would put more energy into vital organs, rather than a couple of toes and a nicer tail. I don't see a problem with the owner breeding it in future if it survives, as long as there's nothing missing or abnormal in its genes, I don't see why it couldn't produce healthy offspring.

If it has a serious problem, it's going to die pretty soon. If it doesn't die soon, then it doesn't have a serious problem.

When I used to live an area with wild green tree frogs, I once encountered a green tree frog with a deformed leg. It had the third section of it's rear leg missing and the foot on that leg (not sure if it was due to injury or birth defect). Over the years I lived there, I watched it thrive. Sure, it couldn't jump perfectly, and had a little difficulty climbing, but it managed to grow to a decent size, and I believe it even bred successfully.

i once found a brown tree frog with five legs, the 5th leg protruded from its throat and had a perfectly formed foot, I took it to the currumbin wildlife sanctuary where I was told the deformity was caused by fertiliser run off and they'd seen a few that year.

It seems like a pretty cool little gecko, and it just seems during development life decided that in order for it to survive it would put more energy into vital organs, rather than a couple of toes and a nicer tail. I don't see a problem with the owner breeding it in future if it survives, as long as there's nothing missing or abnormal in its genes, I don't see why it couldn't produce healthy offspring.

That sums it up perfectly.

Lol how judgmental is that statement, not everyone/thing should breed ? If handicapped people or animals CHOOSE to breed it's exactly that, their choice!!!

If it has an underlying issue nature will take it's course, and there's virtually nothing a vetinarian can do for internal issues with small geckos.

ive noticed you always have something negative to say when someone has an odd gecko pop up in their collection, jealousy maybe?

Its not judgmental at all. Its logical.
And a deformed animal is nothing to be jealous over so i dont really understand that statement. Mind informing me how im always negative?
Theres a few people who have had exceptionaly nice geckos that are healthy show up in there collection that I have commented on but that has only ever been stating how nice the animal is. Defection isnt anything to be jealous over. And the intentional breeding of it is stupid.
A few easy comparisons are defects in dogs due to stupid breedings.

- - - Updated - - -

And to elaborate a bit further, i had one egg go longer and eventually hatched deformed, somewhat resembling a bulldog in stance. It was given every chance in life and later passed, if it had of survived to adulthood it would never have been mated.

Its not judgmental at all. Its logical.
And a deformed animal is nothing to be jealous over so i dont really understand that statement. Mind informing me how im always negative?
Theres a few people who have had exceptionaly nice geckos that are healthy show up in there collection that I have commented on but that has only ever been stating how nice the animal is. Defection isnt anything to be jealous over. And the intentional breeding of it is stupid.
A few easy comparisons are defects in dogs due to stupid breedings.

- - - Updated - - -

And to elaborate a bit further, i had one egg go longer and eventually hatched deformed, somewhat resembling a bulldog in stance. It was given every chance in life and later passed, if it had of survived to adulthood it would never have been mated.

If that's logic to you than that logic is sadly flawed, Unless your a supremacist that thinks less fortunate are inferior to yourself?
as for the negative comments, The first to come to mind is with a high white Levi's that you stated wasn't high white as it wasn't as white as yours? Can't be happy for fellow herp lovers/breeders?

this isn't the place to debate the ethics of keeping or breeding, heck, keeping a herp in a cage outside its natural environment is unethical as is breeding for profit. Both of wich you don't condone

If that's logic to you than that logic is sadly flawed, Unless your a supremacist that thinks less fortunate are inferior to yourself?
as for the negative comments, The first to come to mind is with a high white Levi's that you stated wasn't high white as it wasn't as white as yours? Can't be happy for fellow herp lovers/breeders?

this isn't the place to debate the ethics of keeping or breeding, heck, keeping a herp in a cage outside its natural environment is unethical as is breeding for profit. Both of wich you don't condone

The high white gecko, was a white line gecko, not the same as what I am used to as the line i hold doesnt loose the white stripe.
I discussed that matter with redink and a few others to find there were lines that do dull. I still stand by what i said on that thread.

And actually it is. I also dont know any reptile keepers that make a profit from breeding. And if they did/do it certainly isnt from breeding defective stock.

The high white gecko, was a white line gecko, not the same as what I am used to as the line i hold doesnt loose the white stripe.
I discussed that matter with redink and a few others to find there were lines that do dull. I still stand by what i said on that thread.

And actually it is. I also dont know any reptile keepers that make a profit from breeding. And if they did/do it certainly isnt from breeding defective stock.

Well you must know many breeders, would snake ranch or southern cross reptiles be so successful without such profits? Most certainly not, as wouldn't the few successful breeders of gtp's in the early nineties who made tens of thousands of dollars per season. If breeding wasn't profitable no-one would breed apart from conservationists and zoo's

Albinism is a defect that would cause the early death of wild individuals due to predation, do you have a dig at such breeders?

i really couldn't be bothered anymore, if your that against the practice of breeding mutations then look the other way or start an activist group and lobby against the government to adapt you ehhm supposed "ethics"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back