Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a link to the exact legislation concerning cross breeding in Qld?
i personally don't see much of a problem breeding anything spilota to anything spilota I can understand if you were trying to cross scrubies and bredli or gtp with a olive python ( just some examples doubt if anyone had done that probably tried though..) I also don't like jags purely
because of the neuro to each their own though.

Last edited:
re cross breeds

What's everyone's thoughts on cross breeding snakes (jags)? My thought is that I don't like it at all. If this is ok than what's stopping me from breeding a roughie with a GTP? Or a black headed python with a woma?

Long time lurker 1st time post.
Ive been into fish for a long time now and am about to purchase my first snake.
This problem has been in the aquarium industry for a long time now.
The problem with cross breeding species is that over time the cross bred animals get into peoples hands who dont realize that the species they own is cross bred and start calling it a pure breed and the genes off the cross bred animal become entangled in pure strains therefore not producing pure strains anymore and new people to the hobby wouldnt have the slightest clue therefore giving that species a bad name or even worse, ruining the species forever.
I didnt know it was also happening with snakes.
Im a purest with my fish.
Too early to tell what i will be with the snakes but pure bred genes are always better.

Im a purest with my fish.
Too early to tell what i will be with the snakes but pure bred genes are always better.
With cattle i think they call it hybrid vigour where the progeny from crossed parents is superiour to either parent. To say pure is best is a generalisation. It will depend upon the trait which you are judging!

Personally I'm against it so don't partake in it...

I'm not one to push my opinion on other people though, if they choose to do it then that is their business and I'm fine with that, I would however like to see people be up front and honest about it if and when they decide to sell or give away the offspring...

This topic is saturated in grey area & is always over simplified in threads like these.

Crossbreeding snakes is not automatically bad, it could be good for diversifying captive populations, but this is if it's done with diversity in mind & to say it usually isn't is an understatement.

I feel we could see a decline in the health of our captive snakes in years time, when inbreeding has caught up with them, if we don't start keeping extensive pedigrees & maintaining diversity instead of or along side the focus of reproducing desirable physical traits, a lot of people will outgrow the hobby & many others don't have the interest, knowledge or foresight to consider how what we do now might affect our captive snakes in 100 years time.

I said this a few days ago on another thread, I consider breeding Jags qualzucht, torturous breeding, not because they're crosses but because we know they are inherently defective & some of us are happy to disregard their quality of life in favour of how they look, It's at points like this we stop appreciating animals for what they are, we treat them as accessories to be manipulated.

The fear that locality types will be ruined by crossbreeding might be something to consider but generally, once a cross is bred back to it's natural counterpart for a few generations, the cross is unlikely to have any significant bearing on the progeny from a negative perspective, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be as honest as possible about what we sell but that comes down to the psychology of the seller.

I think we have to be as careful about our obsession with purity as we do with our obsession with rarity.

Last edited:
Good thread! I have recently spoken our local wildlife officer regarding hybrids, crossbreeds and jag mutations and the legality within Q.L.D, and he has informed me around a month ago that himself and many other officers have just come back from compliance training in Brisbane. A big topic discussed at length were the aforementioned topics and the tightening of illegally bred (above mentioned) animals, more raids, increased staff and a more zero tolerance. I have emailed him and will keep you posted when he replies via email. also mentioned was the encouragement to the public in dobbing in and reporting illegally kept animals.

Good thread! I have recently spoken our local wildlife officer regarding hybrids, crossbreeds and jag mutations and the legality within Q.L.D, and he has informed me around a month ago that himself and many other officers have just come back from compliance training in Brisbane. A big topic discussed at length were the aforementioned topics and the tightening of illegally bred (above mentioned) animals, more raids, increased staff and a more zero tolerance. I have emailed him and will keep you posted when he replies via email. also mentioned was the encouragement to the public in dobbing in and reporting illegally kept animals.
I'm all for it. It's about time that authorities took a stance on this and cleaned up the reptile trade. It won't be hard to find out who has them as they post on the internet themselves.
At least the new wildlife officers that they will recruit will have their wages paid for after the amount of fines that they are going to issue!

COMMON SENSE PREVAILS!

You?re not going to get an even sided discussion on this topic on here. Anyone with a lot of experience who sits in the ?for? camp has either long left this forum or won?t be willing to voice their opinion for fear of being shouted down by the six month experts.

Plenty of us in the other camp that don't hang around here much now either saximus.

So far it seems to be given a fair treatment from either side in this thread. Whether people have been in the hobby 6 months or 6 years makes no difference, I have watched some more senior members shout people down with incorrect information - it cuts both ways. I am concerned about the major decline in activity on the site and regular members vanishing but believe it's due to other reasons.

I'm in QLD so it's illegal here but I have never heard of anyone having their hatchies confiscated and euthanized even when they advertise as a cross species or jag. It makes you wonder where the line in the sand is.

- - - Updated - - -

Not exactly dwelling on it arevenant. I was having a conversation with a mate and wanted to know other peoples thoughts on the matter. And thanks for your input, you must feel strongly about it if you responded.

My strong feelings on it are I couldn't care less either way, what other people do aren't my concern.
You asked my opinion and I gave it is all...

- - - Updated - - -

This topic is saturated in grey area & is always over simplified in threads like these.

Crossbreeding snakes is not automatically bad, it could be good for diversifying captive populations, but this is if it's done with diversity in mind & to say it usually isn't is an understatement.

I feel we could see a decline in the health of our captive snakes in years time, when inbreeding has caught up with them, if we don't start keeping extensive pedigrees & maintaining diversity instead of or along side the focus of reproducing desirable physical traits, a lot of people will outgrow the hobby & many others don't have the interest, knowledge or foresight to consider how what we do now might affect our captive snakes in 100 years time.

It's been proven that reptile genes do not work this way - inbreeding has no detrimental effects on gene quality as their structure is much different to that of mammals...

My strong feelings on it are I couldn't care less either way, what other people do aren't my concern.
You asked my opinion and I gave it is all...

- - - Updated - - -

I think you made that quite clear in your first comment. Once again, thank you for your opinion again.

Last edited:
At least the new wildlife officers that they will recruit will have their wages paid for after the amount of fines that they are going to issue!

COMMON SENSE PREVAILS!
What fines are those?

For breaching the rules that many have manipulated for their own benefit.

Last edited:
There have been a couple of pretty big stories both in your neck of the woods and in SA where well-known breeders had animals taken and destroyed. One infamous one had produced Warpets (Water Python x Carpet) which, if you take the emotion out of it, is fairly impressive considering they're not even the same genus. Others had Bredli Jags which are considered a species cross rather than a sub-species cross as is the case with Morelia spilota ssp Jags.

There are also rumours of BHP x Womas. I'm not experienced in the area at all but I would imagine size difference and the fact that they are reptile eaters would make pairings between those two a bit more tricky.

Is there any pics floating around of these Warpets?

Is there any pics floating around of these Warpets?

There was on another forum but I'm not sure if the thread still exists because of the poop storm it created. They kind of just looked like really dark, ugly Carpets

There has also been bhp/woma crosses found in the wild recently so is that bad too? If it happens in the wild then why not in captivity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back