I need help!! Eggs and i didnt know she was pregs !

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rissatimmy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i came home to my spotted who laid eggs ?
and she wasn't even put with a male ...

Anyway so i rang around some people and they told me to check there was no slugs so i made sure . They weren't all stuck together so as i untalented her the eggs rolled ... so i shined a light to make sure the red was facing up and placed them in a container put the mum in a different enclosure and put the eggs into the heated enclosure ... I don't have an incubator what so ever.. I need asap help how to make one so i can get them into an incubator ...

You do realise that without a male there's nothing to have fertilised the eggs? I doubt your spotted is a reincarnation of the Virgin Mary, but I guess stranger things have happened.....

Considering you have nothing set up and totally unprepared for egg care, my advice is to just let her incubate them herself. You will more likely get through it successfully.

Quickest incubator to make is get a Foam esky/box, either run heat cord or heat mat under it, hooked up to a thermostat with the probed placed close to the eggs, obviously put ventilation holes in the lid and a few on the sides. Place the eggs in small tubs (like the ones crickets&woodies come in), ontop of Vermiculite (this helps keep moisture under control).

note: this is only a temporary fix until you can make/get a better incubator

Considering you have nothing set up and totally unprepared for egg care, my advice is to just let her incubate them herself. You will more likely get through it successfully.

the eggs all rolled away :( so i had no choice but to put them in a container

well strange things do happen ;) that's the best part of having reptiles. I have a big female that was not paired this season and she laid 30 fertile 6 slugs. 10 of which where rolling around the bottom for 2 days, and all bar 2 eggs from the rolling ones is still going and have good veins. they are now on day 48 now. the others are still all good and mums doing a fantastic job. its also know for snakes to retain sperm from previous seasons. good luck I would get a foam esky, heat mat, thermometer for the container, thermostat for the mat and set the thermostat for 30 - 30.5 degs make sure there is a small hole in the tub. you can incubate eggs on a platform above water which is clean and very easy. and air every couple days and wipe the lid when its really heavy with moisture. good luck you will also be able to find out incubation period online or in previous posts

Yeah I heard about a snake recently that just had fertile eggs out of nowhere. Hadn't been with a male and they didn't even own males. Maybe they can retain semen or even stranger have a waye of making thier own? o.o Who knows

Yeah I heard about a snake recently that just had fertile eggs out of nowhere. Hadn't been with a male and they didn't even own males. Maybe they can retain semen or even stranger have a waye of making thier own? o.o Who knows

couldnt help thinking of Jurassic park "nature finds a way"

Put the female back with the eggs Fertilized eggs normally stick together while the slugs are disguarded How long have you had her?

Put the female back with the eggs Fertilized eggs normally stick together while the slugs are disguarded How long have you had her?

Highly unlikely that the female will begin to incubate these eggs with the disruption that has already occurred. Slugs are not necessarily discarded either, if they are laid into the pile as she goes, she will just incorporate them into the egg mass. Pythons don't go through their clutches to sort out the good from the bad.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back