Humidity Help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Von.Bombe

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I've been getting horribly conflicting information regarding Humidity and Carpets?
Can anyone let me know the ideal humidity range for them?

Would depend on the subspecies mate, carpets from coastal and northern qld would be use to higher humidity than carpets from drier inland areas. Between 40% and 60% is recommended

cheers

Yeah i'm aware there would be a difference on the subspecies.. luckily for me that's made harder with this guy being a jag sibling.
He was sold as " 25% bredli, 25% Coastal 25% Diamond 25% Murray Darling" :facepalm:

but that gives me a better idea, so thank you!

Anywhere between 40-60% is fine for all carpets and when they shed well you will know that it's right.

^^^Pretty much yeah, 40-60% across the board, unless you're up Far North most of Australia's ambient outdoor humidity levels will be fine.Some need a bit more during shedding, which is generally easily achieved by moving water sources closer to heat sources...

Thanks for the help guys!!

I'm in the process of setting up a new enclosure and want to make sure i've got everything all right before I move my little man out of his tub. :)

I've always kept all my pythons at the same % humidity, don't ask me what that % is cos I wouldn't have a clue......my point is, don't get too caught up in the minor details, just use a bit of common sense and give them their basic requirements, heat, temperature gradient, somewhere to hide and maybe a perch/branch to climb on (not essential), fresh water, food every couple of weeks and they'll be fine....if they seem a bit dry come time to slough/shed then mist them with a spray bottle once or twice a day and that'll help them along, I've never found it necessary personally but it's easy to do if needed....

Absolutely no need to worry about humidity with Carpets - despite what some have said here. Ambient humidity is fine - as long as they have water to drink they will remain well hydrated. There is so much bs spouted about micro-managing their enclosure environment, mostly it's done by retailers who want to sell stuff you don't need, and then spouted as gospel by newish keepers who want you to think they know what they're talking about. The only proviso would be in the instance swampie describes - it may assist shedding occasionally if you mist for a day or two beforehand. If, on a rare occasion, the snake has a bad shed, it's easily remedied by soaking it for an hour or two and removing the skin yourself, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to do this in 50-odd years with Carpets (of any variety).

Jamie

As swampie said don't get to caught up with it. I've found that any enclosure with a water bowl down the cool end will give you the right humidity. If the floor, substrate, is wet for some reason it will be too high. Keep your enclosure clean and you won't have a problem.

Absolutely no need to worry about humidity with Carpets - despite what some have said here. Ambient humidity is fine - as long as they have water to drink they will remain well hydrated. There is so much bs spouted about micro-managing their enclosure environment, mostly it's done by retailers who want to sell stuff you don't need, and then spouted as gospel by newish keepers who want you to think they know what they're talking about. The only proviso would be in the instance swampie describes - it may assist shedding occasionally if you mist for a day or two beforehand. If, on a rare occasion, the snake has a bad shed, it's easily remedied by soaking it for an hour or two and removing the skin yourself, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to do this in 50-odd years with Carpets (of any variety).

Jamie

Thank you Jamie!

- - - Updated - - -

As swampie said don't get to caught up with it. I've found that any enclosure with a water bowl down the cool end will give you the right humidity. If the floor, substrate, is wet for some reason it will be too high. Keep your enclosure clean and you won't have a problem.

THank you!

There is a reason humidity matters apart from shedding, to high of humidity can cause respitory problems as well as scale rot.

cheers

There is a reason humidity matters apart from shedding, to high of humidity can cause respitory problems as well as scale rot.

cheers

I suspect that the OP was concerned that there may be a need to add extra humidity, hence the suggestions that this is not necessary. Certainly as you suggest, too high humidity can be a significant problem if it persists for too long.

J

I suspect that the OP was concerned that there may be a need to add extra humidity, hence the suggestions that this is not necessary. Certainly as you suggest, too high humidity can be a significant problem if it persists for too long.

J

I've never worried about humidity either, never had a need to. Just thought I'd mention it incase the OP thought ah well and had another post in the near future asking why is my snake sick.

cheers.

Last edited:
And you could just give them a nice snug fitting hide so if the enclosure is a little dry leading up to a shed they can cover the entrance to the hide and raise the humidity inside with their breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back