Stimson python enclosure help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mosco

Reaction score
Hey guys
So I've desided to buy a Reptile One Subarra 90 for my snake. I currently have a 15w heat cord , would it produce enough heat if I put it under the enclosure??
please post pictures of your stimson set ups! :))

Have not used cords before but I will be once my carpets go into proper enclosures, I believe most people put them under a ceramic tile you have make sure the snake can't get to an exposed bit or they can burn themselves. I'd also be keen to see a few set up's so I've got more of an idea as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Just had a look through the DIY section and getting a block of wood and routing some grooves for the cord and then sticking tile on top seems like a good idea and prob what I'll go with.

Last edited:
Have not used cords before but I will be once my carpets go into proper enclosures, I believe most people put them under a ceramic tile you have make sure the snake can't get to an exposed bit or they can burn themselves. I'd also be keen to see a few set up's so I've got more of an idea as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Just had a look through the DIY section and getting a block of wood and routing some grooves for the cord and then sticking tile on top seems like a good idea and prob what I'll go with.

I'm getting a wooden enclosure so would it be enough to heat it from the outside of the enclosure?

- - - Updated - - -

I have never come across a heat cord which can burn an animal on contact, ( and I have used many). If you do, I suggest it is too high a wattage to use in a reptile enclosure. The purpose of using a ceramic tile is to even out the heat and provide a heat bank, with a larger surface area, for the animal to contact, rather than having only say a 5mm wide heat cord. Aluminium foil does a similiar job. Remember, just because it is published on this site doesn't mean it is true.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm getting a wooden enclosure so would it be enough to heat it from the outside of the enclosure?

No

What would you recommend then to heat the enclosure [MENTION=1408]wokka[/MENTION]

It depends where you are, but generally a heat mat or heat cord under a ceramic tile inside the cage if the floor is wood.

[MENTION=1408]wokka[/MENTION] is it possible to get a heat cord without the lump at the end of it so the tile sits flat?

Not that i know of. just dont put the lump under the tile. Heat cord should not get hot enough to burn a snake!

1817ab4a7b1612aa5a9054e106ec8b37.jpg

This is my Stimson setup, it's a Melamine enclosure 60X60X60, with two light fittings, I run a 50w Ceramic Heat Emitter in one fitting and a 13w Uv Bulb in the other, I use river rocks as a substrate and have a branch going through my tank since my stimmie loves to climb, Hope this gives you a few Ideas on how you can set up your tank.

all the best :)

Hey mosco. You can most probably just put it under the enclosure. You will need to apply some 'feet' to the bottom of your enclosure, so that the cord is not being crushed and damaged. You could also use a router to make some grooves in the bottom of the enclosure for the same effect. Feet are a lot less time consuming though.

I would advise of using a thermostat with the cord too. The cords do heat up a fair bit and I personally use a thermo to regulate them to sit on 32C. Do a test run for a day or so, before you add your snake to the new enclosure, just to make sure your temps are right :)

Cheers Ben! Do you not use any floor heating?

No problem :) and no, I only use the ceramic heat lamp, I've been told that they spread the heat better than heat mats, but I've used heat mats in the past without any trouble, I prefer the lamps because They tend to get them out and about more since the heat isn't restricted to one area.

I have the heat running from 7am to 7pm along with the UV lighting to simulate their natural environment

Thanks bonustokin, do you have a photo of your enclosure?

I no longer use an enclosure. Instead I use tub's. I found some of my old pics for you to take a look at. As you can see, the cord sits in the routed groove and is flush with the top of the board, so that the tub's can slide in and out. Hopefully this gives you an idea of what I was trying to explain earlier. Obviously you wont be sliding an enclosure around, but you dont want to much weight on the cord. Using something as feet on the bottom of your enclosure is much easier than routing, so maybe do that instead... If you do, try to find 'feet' that are the height of the thickness of the cord :) Hope that helps.
rack tub.jpgrack1.jpg

I use a 13 watt ExoTerra UV Bulb, UV isn't necessary for Stimson pythons but I like using it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back