Small Lump On Diamond Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Savvas

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I just bought a diamond python today. He is only around 1.3m. He has this small lump on his underbelly. See below for a photo of it next to a clothes peg.

The owner wasn't sure how/when it got there. I got it plus the enclosure for very cheap so I thought it was worth getting as the owner wasn't taking very good care of it.

I'm just curious if snakes get cysts. It doesn't seem hard. The snake doesn't seem bothered when it slithers on it. He just ate yesterday two fuzzies apparently. I don't think it's anything he swallowed since he was being fed in a tub.

Like I said I'm not sure how long it's been there. I'll be keeping track of the size. Otherwise a seemingly healthy snake. Any ideas guys?

Here is another picture. It looks much more pronounced when the snake is bending in a concave manner.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421132768244.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421132768244.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 125
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421132907066.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421132907066.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 102
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421136683699.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421136683699.jpg
    835.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they can get cysts. One of our coastal pythons has a benign lump on his neck, it becomes more apparent when he moves around, but the lump on your diamond looks a bit bigger. But its hard to tell from a picture. You should take him to a vet for proper diagnoses.

Yes they can get cysts. One of our coastal pythons has a benign lump on his neck, it becomes more apparent when he moves around, but the lump on your diamond looks a bit bigger. But its hard to tell from a picture. You should take him to a vet for proper diagnoses.
Yeah. Do you think it might be an enlarged heart? Been doing a bit of searching on this site. If I see that it is getting bigger I'll take him to the vet.

It needs to see a vet before it gets bigger. Would you wait if the lump was on yourself?
Are you going to pay for the vet bill? I just spent my paycheck buying this snake to help him. He'll get regularly fed, have a more adequate enclosure. And I'll take him to the vet when I can afford it.

Can anyone let me know of a reptile vet near bankstown area?

Last edited by a moderator:
Up the food size too, two fuzzies is grossly inadequete for a 4ft diamond...

Up the food size too, two fuzzies is grossly inadequete for a 4ft diamond...
Yeah I was planning to. When I heard that it was only being fed fuzzies I couldn't believe it. He gave me the ones he had left so I'll check how big they actually are tomorrow.

I think that if you feed it regularly and provide proper caging that will provide a better quality of life than taking it to the vet.There should be no urgency! As you say watch it to see if the lump gets bigger or causes discomfort. If you cant afford to take the snake to the vet for a checkup then you wont be able to afford any follow-up operation if the lump needs to be removed, so just let the animal live as normal a life as possible. Feed it 80-100gram rats.

What Warwick said pretty much, but you should be aware that cancerous tumours are fairly common in snakes, so keep an eye on it. One factor in your favour is that it's a fairly young animal, and cancers generally appear in older animals, so there are probably half a dozen other less threatening things it's more likely to be.

Jamie

Thanks for the help guys. I'll definitely keep a close eye and take it for a checkup as soon as I can.

Hey everybody!

Just got back from the vet.

Turns out it was a cyst. Terri (canley heights vet clinic) drew the fluid out and it was pretty clear. She said just to keep an eye on it and that most likely the snake will live a happy and long life.

She did mention that he was pretty undersize for his age. Should I feed him a bit more often like once a week even though he is apparently 3 years old?

That's great news, you must be very relieved :)
Yeah I'm definitely relieved. :)

I'm glad he has a much better home now. And hopefully he'll gain a bit of weight too haha

He is now part of the family. I think I'll call him Carbon.

Great to hear the positive news. Once you feed him up he will be one very happy snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back