Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herpo

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondering what the temperament of jungle carpet pythons is? I read a few books that said that these snakes are bad tempered and aggressive. Is that true? Bite doesn't bother me. I may be a child, but I can take the pain. So what's the opinion? Is their aggressive reputation justified?

Hey mate,

they can vary. I had an pair for years. The female I bought at 5months of age and the male I bought at 8months. The female was wonderful, she was at times a bit food orientated but once she was out the cage, her mind was off feeding. The male was very good orientated though. Once he was out of his enclosure, we was okay, but I was cautious. Mind you, I wasn't big on handling them often.

My advice would be to get yourself a well established feeding Jungle, but as young as possible. Around the 4-6month age would be great. No reptile loves being handled and are not like dogs where they seek our attention, but will tolerate our attention. They will seek us in some instances, for our warmth. Starting with a young Python will give you the chance to give it the experience to tolerate handling.

Hi all,
Just wondering what the temperament of jungle carpet pythons is? I read a few books that said that these snakes are bad tempered and aggressive. Is that true? Bite doesn't bother me. I may be a child, but I can take the pain. So what's the opinion? Is their aggressive reputation justified?

Compared to other types of pythons they are generally nervous and highly strung when young as opposed to bad tempered/aggressive.Most tend to grow out of it with time and a bit of size.

That's good. I've wanted one for a long time now, but after I read that I wasn't too sure. As I said, I can take a bite, but I don't want a snake to despise me or get stressed every time I'm around. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Hey mate,

they can vary. I had an pair for years. The female I bought at 5months of age and the male I bought at 8months. The female was wonderful, she was at times a bit food orientated but once she was out the cage, her mind was off feeding. The male was very good orientated though. Once he was out of his enclosure, we was okay, but I was cautious. Mind you, I wasn't big on handling them often.

My advice would be to get yourself a well established feeding Jungle, but as young as possible. Around the 4-6month age would be great. No reptile loves being handled and are not like dogs where they seek our attention, but will tolerate our attention. They will seek us in some instances, for our warmth. Starting with a young Python will give you the chance to give it the experience to tolerate handling.

Cool, thank you as well. I knew that snakes didn't seek our attention, but as I said, I want to be able to handle it occasionally without it feeling threatened. Are females generally calmer than males? I've got a male carpet intergrade who is pretty calm, but is that just him or males in general? Thanks again

I don't believe that their genders differ in temperament. I recently bought a 6-7month old Rough scaled Python and he is very docile. I've had young female Woma pythons that did all and everything to their ability to eat your finger, but I do think that is a habit that Woma's carry more than others.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the help. I'll take your comments on board.

I have 2 Jungles. One was extremely easy snake to tame and the other was the worst.. But as long as you keep handling them most come around it just takes time

That's helpful. I've always loved the colouring of these snakes.

goes both ways.. have owned wondering peaceful ones.. also own a crazy one. honestly i like them a little bit more cage defensive. more fun trying to get them out.

when i bought my first python a NT Water Python they were given the same agressive stigma but my girl is placid and docile most of the time.

But with most breeds there are ones with agressive and will bite at any opporunity possible ( hell on earth) and then there are others that are are docile and placid as. My suggestion is do your homework and talk to the breeder and ask them questions on their temprement.

If you want one, get one. I was warned by nearly everyone about the "typical Jungle" temperament. Apart from a mood swing, which was probably my fault, she is a angel. She handles perfectly and will tolerate anyone, And this is coming from a guy who chose a jungle for his first snake haha. They are great, I love her.

mine is cage defensive, by that I mean when I touch her with the hook she tenses and hisses a little. Once she is up and in my hand though her attitude changes from "what are you doing!?" To "no dad, don't put me back in!" Haha.

Last edited:
I guess you can't really generalize a snake.

True but with Water's, jungles and green tree pythons I have heard about bitey temperament but i know from my own experience this is not always the case.
Scrub pythons on the other hand are a bit of a different story just ask Joemal as with his experiences.

My Palmerstons have always been little devils, never bred one that was placid. The older animals over 6+ years have mellowed out a bit, but still rather highly strung.

I've heard the smaller locales of Jungles such as these can be even moreso temperamental than the bigger types, eg Athertons, so I think true in my case. I never recommend them to new keepers, as I think they'd get put off and intimidated.

Well, all of that is good to hear, as I'd like to upgrade to a class 2 licence in a year or two and getting a green python.

Jags can be feisty (I've handled one once) but like others have said, they have varied temperaments. Same goes for GTP. And handling every so often can help tame them out a bit. I would go for GTP since jags have been known to sometimes get neuro problems and can be kinda pricey but I don't know much about jags, I would look into it. GTP's can be quite tame (I've handled one at the local reptile zoo) so I would go for that

hope this helps, but please make your own decision I'm not forcing you to get anything

Bredli

I don't want to get a jag after what people told me in my thread "Jag Genes", but I definitely plan on getting a GTP...eventually. Thanks for the help Bredli. :D

I'd ignore the bad rep they get. Many snakes can be snappy and defensive all their lives and many aren't. It comes down to the individual snake and how well they can adjust.

That's good to know. I wouldn't hold being aggressive against them though. I guess we're pretty intimidating to a snake.

Jags can be feisty (I've handled one once) but like others have said, they have varied temperaments. Same goes for GTP. And handling every so often can help tame them out a bit. I would go for GTP since jags have been known to sometimes get neuro problems and can be kinda pricey but I don't know much about jags, I would look into it. GTP's can be quite tame (I've handled one at the local reptile zoo) so I would go for that

hope this helps, but please make your own decision I'm not forcing you to get anything

Bredli

That is a generalization. It would be better to base breed judgements on more than one snake. Any breed of snake can have variable temperaments, however because jags are crossbred the more diverse genetic background can increase the range of possible behaviors exhibited. Jags produced from GTPs could have similar behavior to those produced from other crosses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back