Yakka Skink and Ornamental Snake delay $16Billion mine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good on the reptiles for making sure there is no mine, I just hate coal and I hate to say it but those annoying (insert rudest word ever here) are just gonna find a loophole. Disappointing my ****! I hate these big corporations and we should look after our environment. Greg Hunt isn't good at being an environmental minister. I hope that this mine is never built.

Bredli

A little more on this subject.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/breaking-news/commbank-exit-deals-another-blow-to-carmichael/story-fnn9c0hb-1227471711904

The Commonwealth Bank's role as adviser to the controversial Carmichael coal mine in Queensland has ended, dealing another blow to the beleaguered project.
The bank's financial advice mandate with Indian mining giant Adani has ended, following a Federal Court ruling that overturned the approval of its coal mine.
"As part of Adani's refocusing of the project on gaining the various outstanding approvals, the financial advisory mandate has ended," a Commonwealth Bank spokesman told AAP on Wednesday.
The termination of the agreement puts another roadblock in the project's path after environmentalists declared victory when the Federal Court ruled the coal mine's approval was invalid.
story-fnn9c0hb-1227471711904

Environment Minister Greg Hunt conceded to the court he failed to properly assess the project.
In a statement Adani said the "technical legal error" from Minister Hunt's office meant he would now have to reconsider their application.
Environmentalists celebrated both the court ruling and the Commonwealth Bank's conclusion of its mandate with the mining giant.
"The decision comes on the back of a growing public campaign," a GetUp spokesman said in a statement.
"CommBank join eleven other international banks that have pulled out of the project."

Even though the age of coal is coming to an end, both State and Federal governments from Labor, Liberal and Nats have been falling over themselves to make this mega mine happen.

Forget about the enormous damage to the aquifers, forget about the dredging of the harbour and terminal at Abbott Point, it took a small conservation group from the Mackay area to take the company and the federal gov to court and it was the plight of the Yakka Skink and the Ornamental snake that got the temporary halt on the mine........wow.

The people who want to develop the mine smell $ and lots of them. So unfortunately I doubt we've heard the last of this.

One wonders if this is another case of the NSW decease , Queensland style (corrupt ministers getting kickbacks from big mining companies to push through mining projects despite local community resistance and against the longer term environment and regional needs).

BTW isn't that prime area productive farming land . We need to get our priorities as a nation in order. It's certainly in the headwaters of our ONLY major river system and right on top of our largest artesian basin --- all very good reasons to kill such a destructive open cut mining project - let the Indians extract their own coal (they have heaps of it).

On the matter of thousands of jobs - not likely - least wise not jobs for Australians that are fulltime permanent and anyone employed will be on contract and FIFO rosters so local communities wont see any benefit from their being there (wont bring in families, wont spend money there).

Overall - a very poor project and only benefit will be some royalties (maybe). but the state is expected to provide infrastructure as usual to sweeten the deal make it workable.

Last edited:
Even though the age of coal is coming to an end, both State and Federal governments from Labor, Liberal and Nats have been falling over themselves to make this mega mine happen.

Forget about the enormous damage to the aquifers, forget about the dredging of the harbour and terminal at Abbott Point, it took a small conservation group from the Mackay area to take the company and the federal gov to court and it was the plight of the Yakka Skink and the Ornamental snake that got the temporary halt on the mine........wow.

Kudos to them I say.

India and China's insatiable demand for energy supply and Australia's need to keep the coffers filled will see continued pressure on Australian ecosystems, no doubt about it.

I reckon if people keep on making mines it'll be a lot more than the Yakka skink that'll be endangered. Why don't we actually invest in renewable energy? Because the government are bribed by these companies. They try to stop renewable energy and conservation at all costs because they know the mines will no longer bribe them. For example: Joe Hockey wants to get rid of the lake George wind farms just because he as an individual does not find them aesthetically pleasing. If only we could do more to rat out the government.

Gavin Bedford for Prime Minister! :p
These are my views...
I hope you have a similar thing against coal.

Bredli

The mining industry cheer squad (mostly news corp media) has been very busy condemning the judges decision in the last day or so.
I suppose, if this coal mine doesn't go ahead, it will be the first ever coal mine in Queensland's history to be stopped for environmental reasons.

This is what gets me.

A clearly frustrated Abbott earlier warned of the domestic economic danger in blocking major projects such as the $16bn Queensland mine.
The coal extracted by mine operator Adani would help power the lives of 100 million Indians, he argued.

Perhaps if the Indian government embraced the type of privatisation that is now the norm in most modern economies, the type of practice the right loves to champion, they wouldn't find themselves in a position where it's more economically viable to exploit another countries resources rather than their own.

Yes, resources have driven this countries prosperity. I don't deny that. But I refuse to accept the sympathy card on this one.

This is what gets me.

Perhaps if the Indian government embraced the type of privatisation that is now the norm in most modern economies, the type of practice the right loves to champion, they wouldn't find themselves in a position where it's more economically viable to exploit another countries resources rather than their own.

Yes, resources have driven this countries prosperity. I don't deny that. But I refuse to accept the sympathy card on this one.

Actually that's a firthy .... only those who are directly employed in the mining industries and shareholders of the mining companies have benefitted , a very small part of the population.
Most mines are worked on a FIFO basis in Australia, with the miners spending up to 4 weeks on site in camps and home for 1 week, any wages earnt are NOT spent at the mine or in nearby communities (if there are any) but somewhere remotely from the mine and the camp. The local communities get bugger all benefit , maybe miners will come into to town to boozeup ( and create problems) if they are lucky.
The mine's employees don't in the main even have the option to live in town near the mine (the days of company built rented homes where the miner's rental is "subsidized" as are probably very rare now (I know Rio Tinto and BHP offered this in the Pilbura and NQLD) but I suspect this is no longer offered as an incentive.

Adarmi is over stating any benefits and playing down impacts and costs.

Actually that's a firthy .... only those who are directly employed in the mining industries and shareholders of the mining companies have benefitted , a very small part of the population.
Most mines are worked on a FIFO basis in Australia, with the miners spending up to 4 weeks on site in camps and home for 1 week, any wages earnt are NOT spent at the mine or in nearby communities (if there are any) but somewhere remotely from the mine and the camp. The local communities get bugger all benefit , maybe miners will come into to town to boozeup ( and create problems) if they are lucky.
The mine's employees don't in the main even have the option to live in town near the mine (the days of company built rented homes where the miner's rental is "subsidized" as are probably very rare now (I know Rio Tinto and BHP offered this in the Pilbura and NQLD) but I suspect this is no longer offered as an incentive.

Adarmi is over stating any benefits and playing down impacts and costs.

I think you mean furphy, and no it's not.

Mining royalties paid to state governments and taxes paid to the federal government totals in the billions of dollars.

It's just a minor road bump. I think we can all bet our bottom dollar it will go ahead. Here' some extracts for those that didn't read the article.

(Mr Hunt denied it was a major problem.

"Without pre-empting a final decision about the project, the department expects that it will take six to eight weeks to prepare its advice and the supporting documentation, and for the Minister to reconsider his final decision."

Adani said it was committed to ensuring its mine, rail and port projects in Queensland are developed, and complied with environmental conditions.

"It should be noted the approval did include appropriate conditions to manage the species protection of the yakka skink and ornamental snake," it said.

"However, we have been advised that, because certain documents were not presented by the Department in finalising the approval, it created a technical legal vulnerability that is better to address now).

The real problem is that; be they Liberal, Labor, Green or what ever...there is no real talent amongst the current string of Australian politicians...no one with any vision...no one committed or game enough to rock the boat on the stream of obsession to have control.

This is why we are in the predicament we are today. Australia needs an income pure and simple and mining is the current hand that feeds us all. Long gone are the days our economy ran on the back of sheep. Due to the continuous long term complacency of politicians passed and present, they have no other alternate but to exploit it until they can come up with another viable means to fill the coffers which enables all of us to live the lives we currently experience.

As much as I don't agree with raping and pillaging the planet. The big question is...what will replace it...especially in the short term..

Cheers,

George

Until we get a prime minister that believes in climate change there is no hope of renewable energy becoming a major focus of the government. You are right the country cannot ride on sheep's back because all the farms are being bought by foreign investors thus all the profits go overseas.

Until we get a prime minister that believes in climate change there is no hope of renewable energy becoming a major focus of the government. You are right the country cannot ride on sheep's back because all the farms are being bought by foreign investors thus all the profits go overseas.

We had six years of two PM's that believed in climate change. Unfortunately they were too preoccupied with PM change.

No argument from me on that point. It was a time when self interest was at an all time high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back