What is the matter with everyone

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Paying to become a Power Seller is worth it. The cost is not much. Just like PayPal. I am happy to pay the fees. Recenty l couldn't get past the 1 page on RDU on several devices. It is working again now so l relisted my add. Hopefully word of mouth will bring people back

Ron: Good point about scammers. Forums are less prone to them because people chat and tell moderators, who ban the scammers, but it's a point I hadn't thought about. After a while they're easy to spot and are just a laugh, but to newbies they can be a problem, and potentially a big one.

Last edited:
I do not want to start a slanging match but i find that statement very amusing considering the amount of "SCAM" advertising found on that particular site, another reason paying for advertising works better than free, when you have to pay for Adds you tend not to waste your time "scamming" :) .......................Ron

Ron you 'talk the talk' well but don't back it up do you? This thread HERE you wrote:

So Stu, are you now going to open a BitCoin & PayPal acc and hope the Lads and Ladettes of APS will throw a bit of coin your way to help offset some of the hosting costs until the subsciption $$$ start coming in ????, i would probs throw a few bucks at the forum to help out and hope other long timers would do so as well

You still going to throw a few bucks at the forum?

We don't want to become like the Government where everything is assessed by dollars. Some people put in time and some people put in dollars depending upon their situation.I know 10 years ago i put in money because i didn't have the time and my daughter put in time (as a moderator) because she had more time than money. There are more ways of helping the hobby than putting money on the table. My understanding is that Ron was insrtumental in getting the Port Macquarie expo off the ground which benefits everyone!

Last edited:
I am hearing what everyone says about charging to advertise and to be honest, it has been something I am been thinking about since I took over the forums. The main reason I haven't just turned off the setting and opened it up to everyone is that it would be unfair to those who had invested to be subscribers/power sellers and Sponsors and I am not in a position to refund all who had purchased those accounts.

I am happy to wear the cost of the forums as its a resource for all of us and like I mentioned earlier, I am not in it for the money. And if it helps, every dollar I have got so far from those supporting APS has gone into getting all the licensing and add on products up to date and all future funds will be used for improvements.

Anyway, that's some Friday morning input from your local site admin :)

I am hearing what everyone says about charging to advertise and to be honest, it has been something I am been thinking about since I took over the forums. The main reason I haven't just turned off the setting and opened it up to everyone is that it would be unfair to those who had invested to be subscribers/power sellers and Sponsors and I am not in a position to refund all who had purchased those accounts.

I am happy to wear the cost of the forums as its a resource for all of us and like I mentioned earlier, I am not in it for the money. And if it helps, every dollar I have got so far from those supporting APS has gone into getting all the licensing and add on products up to date and all future funds will be used for improvements.

If you went that way,
Perhaps something like for the remainder of subscriptions only subscriber's ads appear on the home page and hence get that extra bit of advertising,
And others can only advertise in a section that you have to click into to see?

I'm not sure what to do for power sellers though,
Perhaps either continue to set a limit for free ads or list power sellers in a similar way to sponsers?

- - - Updated - - -

Also perhaps controversial,
But upon clicking on a friend's profile I saw more names of great old members that also left the drama,
With how many people have voiced how happy they are about the change and saying they'd like to give the new forum another go,
Maybe sending out a tastefully done email notice letting members know, perhaps an introduction of yourself and a brief over view of your hopes for the new forum? That way people who no longer visit might see it and pop in

Thanks vampstorso, I will take those suggestions on board as there have been a few comments on updating the look of the site. I can't afford to do it right this very moment but I might have a think as I am sure there are alternative ways. In regards to the server platform, I have changed that (which accounted for the horrendous downtime in June/July), but I also might misunderstand your comment, were you talking about the forum software itself? Cheers for the comments
Hey Stuart
In regard to being able to afford to do stuff, I would be happy to offer my services to redesign the logo and some cool icons to go on the forums, member profiles and the like. I am a graphic designer and do this stuff all day everyday, so I know how to deliver the file types needed for this stuff. I would be happy to do it as my little contribution to the community that has given to me in spades in the short time I have been here. Yes that means i would be happy to do it for free. Anyway PM me if you are keen to discuss?

Mate i dont think the subscription is much if its $10 per subscription for 20 animals sold 50c per animal etc to keep the forum running i will happily pay it when and if i have stock to sell!!

Ron you 'talk the talk' well but don't back it up do you? This thread HERE you wrote:

You still going to throw a few bucks at the forum?
[MENTION=41817]Chris[/MENTION] I have been waiting for a Donations button to Appear on the Board so i can make a Donation to the Forum, I am not particularly interested in becoming a Subscriber and paying a yearly stipend as i don't sell anything, likewise i am not interested in having a bold title added to my name, i am very happy being seen as a regular garden variety member, but if that is going to be the only way to make a donation then so be it thats what i will do.
I really don't know what this statement "Ron you 'talk the talk' well but don't back it up do you?"​ has to do with the first part of the QUOTED text in your post or why you Quoted it in the 1st place but please explain as up till now i have always thought of you as 1 of the more level headed of those in the veterans group on this forum, has the fact the Forum changed hands unbalanced you or is the lack of inane posts for you guys to shred made you a bit toey, i thought by getting some more people talking it might bring some more attention back to the Forum and get some of the older members back to posting, but if this is the result i am having second thoughts. :( ..................Ron

I think Stu is doing an absolutely fantastic job! He communicates with the members and try's his best at fixing problems. I agree the change of hands wasn't really any of our business and should have been kept hush hush as it was. I disagree with everyones hatred for Facebook. Facebook is fantastic for the community and is a great way to spread word about reptiles news and upcoming events. So what if the same question is asked numerous times? I would rather answer the same question and help a newby then not help at all. In regards to the cost of posting for sale ads, I don't know any forum that doesn't charge you, its been that way for a long time and its not like it cost you an arm and a leg.... In the past the forum has had a rather bad rep and unfortunately it was deserving of that rep but it happened in the past, happened in the past. APS is at a new, fresh, chapter and I think with its new owner APS will gain a new rep, a good rep.

@Dragon_77 just in regard to your first post about Facebook having the blocking system, APS does have practically the same system and its actually simpler then the Facebook version, all you do is go to a members profile and click "add to ignore list" which is under their avatar in the same place as "Send private message" etc

Last edited:
@Dragon_77 just in regard to your first post about Facebook having the blocking system, APS does have practically the same system and its actually simpler then the Facebook version, all you do is go to a members profile and click "add to ignore list" which is under their avatar in the same place as "Send private message" etc

CrazyNut Thanks for letting me know that APS does have a blocking system just like Facebook, l already knew that cause l have used it on APS in 2005 to 2008, to block some members on here but l will not disclose who they are or whether l still have these members block or not, you weren't to know that l knew that APS had a blocking system has most websites do these days.

If you knew then why say that Facebook is ahead of reptile forums because of that feature??????

I was banned indefinitely and branded a trouble make by the previous owners for questioning the problem of favoritism when it come to certain people closest to them in regards to the advertising rule, As the very first "power seller" account on here I though my queries were warranted and just plus they were never asked in an open forum always in a admin PM. I was Beeman in a previous life and this action toward me put me off this site for the most part. I hope that the new ownership does well and the site prospers under their management!

Last edited:
I think many of us left because of Slateman's sheer arrogance and incompetence in dealing with people. Unfortunately, the mods were under his thumb but some of them exhibited fair degree of favoritism and power play too. My question is - how is the new management going to deal with posts like "what should be my next snake", "need a name for my snake", "built this new cage, what should I put in it?", "I suppose this is a stupid question ...", etc.. This is what drags this and other forums down, lift the bar and things will improve all around. JMO

cheers
Michael

Good god have no idea what happened - will type proper response from computer later

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=20031]Waterrat[/MENTION] legit question! Before I buzz off I had to suggest: Forum for newbies? That way the ones who find those posts annoying don't even have to see them :)

$10 to become a subscriber and be able to advertise on this board seems very reasonable to me.

I just hope this place doesn't become like other boards by becoming just a venue for a few sponsors or the owners to drum up business (don't dare upset the sponsors or the largest volume selling subscribers or disagree with the resident "experts").

I've always thought the prime purposes of places like this were to share experiences, share knowledge, help each other, and promote THE HOBBY as opposed to promoting a few money making businesses.

Just saying ...

- - - Updated - - -

I think many of us left because of Slateman's sheer arrogance and incompetence in dealing with people. Unfortunately, the mods were under his thumb but some of them exhibited fair degree of favoritism and power play too. My question is - how is the new management going to deal with posts like "what should be my next snake", "need a name for my snake", "built this new cage, what should I put in it?", "I suppose this is a stupid question ...", etc.. This is what drags this and other forums down, lift the bar and things will improve all around. JMO

cheers
Michael

Yep , there was a lot a cliquiness,, and piling it on when someone was deemed worthy trolling / attacking / persecuting.

Last edited:
I am not particularly interested in becoming a Subscriber and paying a yearly stipend as i don't sell anything

You don't think that spending $0.03 per day to support & use the forum is worth it then? Regardless of the sale factor? Wow.

I started the Adelaide Reptile Forum several years ago & thus know what both a financial & personal cost it takes to set up & maintain a forum, I'm thankful I had many members contributing to its success financially, hence why I'm questioning why people think spending $10.00 annually is not worth it.

if that is going to be the only way to make a donation then so be it thats what i will do.

This is the second time you've talked of doing it... so do it then.

You don't think that spending $0.03 per day to support & use the forum is worth it then? Regardless of the sale factor? Wow.

I started the Adelaide Reptile Forum several years ago & thus know what both a financial & personal cost it takes to set up & maintain a forum, I'm thankful I had many members contributing to its success financially, hence why I'm questioning why people think spending $10.00 annually is not worth it.

This is the second time you've talked of doing it... so do it then.

And perhaps you should never have given it up, Chris. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back