What is the matter with everyone

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't think that spending $0.03 per day to support & use the forum is worth it then? Regardless of the sale factor? Wow.

I started the Adelaide Reptile Forum several years ago & thus know what both a financial & personal cost it takes to set up & maintain a forum, I'm thankful I had many members contributing to its success financially, hence why I'm questioning why people think spending $10.00 annually is not worth it.

This is the second time you've talked of doing it... so do it then.

Some boards have a way of making a donation to support the board (which is not being a "sponsor" or a "subscriber"). people donate JUST TO HELP and there is no special treatment given to them (other than the gratitude of those who run the board).

People should not be pressured to become subscribers like on some other boards.

I think many of us left because of Slateman's sheer arrogance and incompetence in dealing with people. Unfortunately, the mods were under his thumb but some of them exhibited fair degree of favoritism and power play too. My question is - how is the new management going to deal with posts like "what should be my next snake", "need a name for my snake", "built this new cage, what should I put in it?", "I suppose this is a stupid question ...", etc.. This is what drags this and other forums down, lift the bar and things will improve all around. JMO

cheers
Michael

I read this earlier and had to go away and think about because it is a very valid point but also a hard one to setup, police and enforce. To cut out those who ask those questions completely would be to cater to some, of which I'll be the first to admit are some of the most knowledgeable enthusiasts and herpetologists on APS, and could possible end up scaring those who have legitimate questions off. To leave them to continue on though would cause the continuation of those knowledgeable folks not participating on the forums because they didn't want to troll through the unnecessary posts.

These days folks are all too quick to put their hands out and want all the answers handed to them instead of going out and learning for themselves and personally I blame the folks who give them the answers to tests.

There must be a way to cater for both groups of folks and I am open to suggestions on how we deal with it without blitzing all the n00bish questions or letting them continue on. I'll have think about it and see what we can't come up with whilst keeping in mind that the members are what makes the forum, not the fact that its available.

Good god have no idea what happened - will type proper response from computer later

- - - Updated - - -
@Waterrat legit question! Before I buzz off I had to suggest: Forum for newbies? That way the ones who find those posts annoying don't even have to see them :)

I'll take that thought away with me tonight

$10 to become a subscriber and be able to advertise on this board seems very reasonable to me.

I just hope this place doesn't become like other boards by becoming just a venue for a few sponsors or the owners to drum up business (don't dare upset the sponsors or the largest volume selling subscribers or disagree with the resident "experts").

I've always thought the prime purposes of places like this were to share experiences, share knowledge, help each other, and promote THE HOBBY as opposed to promoting a few money making businesses.

Just saying ...

- - - Updated - - -

Yep , there was a lot a cliquiness,, and piling it on when someone was deemed worthy trolling / attacking / persecuting.

I am trying to move the forums away from being as "commercial" as they have been previously and unfortunately the stock vBulletin software does not have any donation functions built in that I am aware of. I do have plans to purchase an add on to allow this but all my funding and whats come in has gone into licensing and getting things back up into support which is why this hasn't eventuated yet.

Some boards have a way of making a donation to support the board (which is not being a "sponsor" or a "subscriber"). people donate JUST TO HELP and there is no special treatment given to them (other than the gratitude of those who run the board).

People should not be pressured to become subscribers like on some other boards.

I hope people don't feel pressured mate. It is my only option available at the moment and as I mentioned earlier in the thread and whilst I did initially plan to turn it off, it would be unfair to all those who have paid for subscriptions and the like. Vamp made a great suggestion and its something I am seriously looking at.

One of my end goals is to have APS operating as a board for the members, not for profit.

Stu

I would have thought that those who want to financially assist the site could ask privately for bank details and donate. The world doesn't need to know!!

^^ yes that's one way to do it, would be handy maybe if there was PayPal address so you can keep the banks at arms length and easily and donate if you wanted to help a wee bit.

^^ yes that's one way to do it, would be handy maybe if there was PayPal address so you can keep the banks at arms length and easily and donate if you wanted to help a wee bit.
I agree putting a PayPal addy on your profile Stuart, people could donate that way and then only you and the donor would be any the wiser - win/win if you ask me.

I think many of us left because of Slateman's sheer arrogance and incompetence in dealing with people. Unfortunately, the mods were under his thumb but some of them exhibited fair degree of favoritism and power play too. My question is - how is the new management going to deal with posts like "what should be my next snake", "need a name for my snake", "built this new cage, what should I put in it?", "I suppose this is a stupid question ...", etc.. This is what drags this and other forums down, lift the bar and things will improve all around. JMO

cheers
Michael

Well all the noob questions alongside the experienced threads is what makes a community forum just that. A diverse range of knowledge feeding off each other. And for the experienced guys to have to put up with those noob questions well it more likely stands to benefit you eo do so as those noobs end up being the owners of snakes experienced people have bred and you want people to be educated and gain experience to buy your animals and keep them well, right! I mean yeah sure not all experienced keepers are breeding and selling, so for those I say that enjoy the noobs for the benefit of the animals they keep. Is it not best to educate someone to be a good keeper of animals. So let all rest side by side and in the end the beautiful animals will benefit and we all win then animals and humans alike!

Diamond-python, I wasn't referring to noobs, I was referring to stupid posts such as I mentioned above that may come from anybody, not just noobs. "Help me name my snake" is a stupid request no matter who posted it, wouldn't you agree? Noobs are welcome and will always receive good response from others, .... "the others" won't.

Cheers
Michael

Diamond-python, I wasn't referring to noobs, I was referring to stupid posts such as I mentioned above that may come from anybody, not just noobs. "Help me name my snake" is a stupid request no matter who posted it, wouldn't you agree? Noobs are welcome and will always receive good response from others, .... "the others" won't.

Cheers
Michael

Yeah Michael I do agree, not trying to ripple anyones pond, but to the person who posts the thread maybe they feel like it's not such a stupid question! So we can all make the choice to click the thread or not. In time they will be educated and may or may not become one of the best contributors on here. They all start somewhere right?

I am trying to move the forums away from being as "commercial" as they have been previously and unfortunately the stock vBulletin software does not have any donation functions built in that I am aware of. I do have plans to purchase an add on to allow this but all my funding and whats come in has gone into licensing and getting things back up into support which is why this hasn't eventuated yet.

Again this is funds related and I am totally naive on costs but I'm sure theyre higher than I think they are,
but forum platforms like Xenforo seem lovely if you're looking for another with more options on it

Thanks for all your hard work and for the funds you've had to fork out; it's a massive task and I hope it repays you tenfold in people making the most of the board at the very least.

Hi there Ron, hope you are well. Long time since I've visited here.good to see there are some readable threads.

[MENTION=27815]Stuart[/MENTION] I was about to suggest the same thing as [MENTION=39720]Tigerlily[/MENTION] and that is we create a new forum specifically for beginners. This would allow for those folks being able to avoid trolling through those unnecessary posts filled with noobish questions.

@Stuart I was about to suggest the same thing as @Tigerlily and that is we create a new forum specifically for beginners. This would allow for those folks being able to avoid trolling through those unnecessary posts filled with noobish questions.

Noobish questions are often spot on, intelligent and genuine. But for the life of me, I can't understand why someone needs help with naming their snake or what should be their next snake. One would think that even noobies have some idea what's out there and what tickles their fancy. Choosing the next reptile means commitment for the next 10 years or more and people should be able to make up their own mind what to get, not what someone else (likely another inexperienced noobie) suggests. JMO

cheers
Michael

Last edited:
Noobish questions are often spot on, intelligent and genuine. But for the life of me, I can't understand why someone needs help with naming their snake or what should be their next snake. One would think that even noobies have some idea what's out there and what tickles their fancy. Choosing the next reptile means commitment for the next 10 years or more and people should be able to make up their own mind what to get, not what someone else (likely another inexperienced noobie) suggests. JMO

cheers
Michael
Well in the case of someone who has only just decided to join the hobby, maybe not. Perhaps this someone is is unsure of what is acceptable for a beginner in terms of ease of care and handleability. Though I too can't understand the naming thing, usually a name for an animals in your care is very personal lol

Well in the case of someone who has only just decided to join the hobby, maybe not. Perhaps this someone is is unsure of what is acceptable for a beginner in terms of ease of care and handleability. Though I too can't understand the naming thing, usually a name for an animals in your care is very personal lol
Not disagreeing with you, but asking about ease of care/handleability is a bit different to a blanket "what snake should I get next?" And there used to be quite a few of them before.
I think the ones that used to annoy me the most were the threads asking for advice, and when the OP got advice they didn't like, they would start another thread, or ask elsewhere.
Hey, even the "name my snake" ones didn't annoy me as much! :D

Not disagreeing with you, but asking about ease of care/handleability is a bit different to a blanket "what snake should I get next?" And there used to be quite a few of them before.
I think the ones that used to annoy me the most were the threads asking for advice, and when the OP got advice they didn't like, they would start another thread, or ask elsewhere.
Hey, even the "name my snake" ones didn't annoy me as much! :D
OMG the OP's not likeing what they are told! Thats literally the most annoying and stupid thing lol that was happening on ARF a lot! Though I think ARF shut down now (well I can't access it anyway).

I am reading this all, just had a heck of a day at work follwed by a call out. Ill respond as soon as I can and also start implementing some ideas

I am reading this all, just had a heck of a day at work follwed by a call out. Ill respond as soon as I can and also start implementing some ideas
You have my sympathy Stuart , I HATED call-ins , especially the ones I often got from work just after I'd climbed into bed . I hope you get paid for your call-ins , at least a full shift of overtime even if you aren't required for the full shift.

- - - Updated - - -

Again this is funds related and I am totally naive on costs but I'm sure theyre higher than I think they are,
but forum platforms like Xenforo seem lovely if you're looking for another with more options on it

Thanks for all your hard work and for the funds you've had to fork out; it's a massive task and I hope it repays you tenfold in people making the most of the board at the very least.

Yes there are places on line where you can develop and run messageboards for free , Zeta boards comes to mind, someone still has to do the coding though and look after debugging and running the board (taking care of glitches and gremlins as they pop up) ....

Hi there Ron, hope you are well. Long time since I've visited here.good to see there are some readable threads.

Hey Darlyn, certainly has been a while since i seen you both here, how did your Aust tour go?? hope you both got to see what you wanted, missed seeing you both when you got to the East coast which was a shame as i had heaps to chat with your hubby about, speaking of him, how is he?? comfortable i hope, I am still trying to come to terms with it but with the help i have i should be ok. Yes we have peeps chatting again which is what i hoped for when i started this thread and we have a heap of the long timers coming back for a look which i could not foresee happening but it is fantastic to see them back, with Stu at the helm i am sure the group will again be the cohesive informative place to sit down with a coffee and start learning again. Great to see you back and hope to see more posts from you both if you get back into collecting again, your posts were always fun and full of great information. :) :) ..............................Ron

OMG the OP's not likeing what they are told! Thats literally the most annoying and stupid thing lol that was happening on ARF a lot! Though I think ARF shut down now (well I can't access it anyway).
I remember the "vegetarian lizard" thread on there, lol. I as actually lughing out loud reading that one.

I hear the ideas on new board software or setups and the reason I have shied away from them is that APS has had a lot of customization and it would need to be offline for a good week or more for the database and files to be converted over to the new software. On top of this all the add ons and additional software would need to be repurchased and installed which isn't an option I could consider at the moment unfortunately.

What I am trying to do is redesign the site to give it a new look but familiar feel so that folks enjoy the site a bit more (I hope anyway)
[MENTION=41275]kingofnobbys[/MENTION], I am lucky enough to get paid well for my call outs and generally its only rarely I get called these days as we have our level 3 guys who will always get the call first. I tend to be next in line when its something more in depth/major..

OMGLMFAO! Vegetarian lizard thread(s) was a joke! Was one big idiotic argument. I didn't even bother commenting on, just sat back and laughed..... Some people were arguing about stiff that had nothing to do with the thread and the op wasn't even involved lol. I really hope that kind of stuff doesn't happen on anymore. Its going to be difficulty to move forward if it does sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back