Reptiles shutting down already?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grogshla

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi there I have a dilemma.
I own a 4 year old children's python (who has one eye and is pretty much retarded I believe) and a 6 year old Pygmy Beardy. Both animals have shut down. The python won't eat ( I have tried mice, rats, quail, braining and scenting). Temps are 32degrees on the warm side and mid 20s on the cool side. He has no basking lamp or other lighting just a heat mat connected to a thermostat. He usually eats 1 adult mouse every 3-4 weeks (he is just not interested) but for the past couple of months he has had nothing. Previous to summer (in which has probably only eaten 5 times he wouldn't eat for a good 4 months).
My dragon has been sleeping for the past 5 weeks. Her temps are perfect 40-45 under the basking lamp and mid 20s on the cool side. She has brand new 10.0 uvb. Even when I put her under the basking lamp she will crawl back to her hide and sleep.
Just wondering if people are experiencing the same thing and if anyone can offer me any advice. I care for them greatly and I am a little concerned.
Cheers

I live in Sydney and although my unit is pretty insulated it remains at approximately 20-25 degrees inside. Plenty of natural light comes through to help with the day night cycle.
It is just strange.

my simson will only tend to eat regularly for a few months a year and she is now over 5 but has not eaten for last month but is very well rounded (fat) and does not seem to loose condition too much through cooler times so I guess she knows what she wants so I have learnt not to stress too much.

Last edited:
Its weird that they have both shut down at the same time.. Heaps of people think its weird but i feed my animals all year round... If i were you id be fully cleaning out both enclosures, f10 everything, look for mites ect and see if that changes anything.. good luck

thanks mate I will give it a good clean out this weekend.
The only thing that might be a factor is that the breeders choice kitty litter (paper) substrate gets compacted after a while where the heat mat is (as he is always sitting on it). Maybe the compressed litter is not allowing ample heating to rise up through?

Not unusual, I have a few males that shut down in late December every year, some of my females shut down in January-February. The rest of my critters will stop feeding this month through to next month. I cease all feeding of mature animals mid April whether they like it or not.

Where can I purchase F10 around Nth West Sydney? I can't seem to find any stock?

thanks mate I will give it a good clean out this weekend.
The only thing that might be a factor is that the breeders choice kitty litter (paper) substrate gets compacted after a while where the heat mat is (as he is always sitting on it). Maybe the compressed litter is not allowing ample heating to rise up through?

I cant see that being a problem, your thermostat would be taking in the air temperature and you would have noticed if that changed...

I cant see that being a problem, your thermostat would be taking in the air temperature and you would have noticed if that changed...

my thermostat probe is sitting under the substrate blu tacked to the bottom of the glass tank (directly above the heat mat)

thanks mate I will have a look online.

1 Adult mouse every 3-4 weeks for an 4yo Childreni does not seem like much to me, unless they eat much less than a Spotty, My 2 3 year old Spotties have a sub-adult Rat every 10 days during the hotter weather and they are kept at 34 deg C at hot end and 20 deg C cool end, I am not a keeper of Childreni but i thought all the Antaresia Sp would basicly be kept the same, Maybe if you up your temps your Childreni might kick into a higher gear so to speak and start eating again. :) ............Ron

1 Adult mouse every 3-4 weeks for an 4yo Childreni does not seem like much to me, unless they eat much less than a Spotty, My 2 3 year old Spotties have a sub-adult Rat every 10 days during the hotter weather and they are kept at 34 deg C at hot end and 20 deg C cool end, I am not a keeper of Childreni but i thought all the Antaresia Sp would basicly be kept the same, Maybe if you up your temps your Childreni might kick into a higher gear so to speak and start eating again. :) ............Ron

thanks mate I will bump up the temps and see how they go.

- - - Updated - - -

@Grogshla I found this place the cheapest, was $30 with postage for 200 ml, Petceutics
http://www.petceutics.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=F10

thanks mate I appreciate that :)
I will check it out.

we have 3 varieties of Antaresia here and my younger son has another,all eat weekly

- - - Updated - - -

Hi there I have a dilemma.
I own a 4 year old children's python (who has one eye and is pretty much retarded I believe) and a 6 year old Pygmy Beardy. Both animals have shut down. The python won't eat ( I have tried mice, rats, quail, braining and scenting). Temps are 32degrees on the warm side and mid 20s on the cool side. He has no basking lamp or other lighting just a heat mat connected to a thermostat. He usually eats 1 adult mouse every 3-4 weeks (he is just not interested) but for the past couple of months he has had nothing. Previous to summer (in which has probably only eaten 5 times he wouldn't eat for a good 4 months).
My dragon has been sleeping for the past 5 weeks. Her temps are perfect 40-45 under the basking lamp and mid 20s on the cool side. She has brand new 10.0 uvb. Even when I put her under the basking lamp she will crawl back to her hide and sleep.
Just wondering if people are experiencing the same thing and if anyone can offer me any advice. I care for them greatly and I am a little concerned.
Cheers

I think your snakes temps are a little low and should have a heat lamp plus maybe a UV lamp,should def be eating more often.Our Antaresia sp (which includes childrens) all eat weekly.
As for the pygmy bearded,mine are starting to slow down but not to the degree your 1 is, what part of Australia are you ?

I ended up buying a enclosure cleaning product (spray) from reptile one at petbarn. Couldn't find f10 and I am not home to collect internet/mail orders. I cleaned all my enclosures out, put fresh substrate and bumped the temps up by a few degrees. See what happens :)
Thanks for all the help.

Still a few skinks out sunning in my yard on the paths and garden beds, saw one of the regulars (a juvenile / subadult water skink) out at 9am this morning and sunning on concrete path that I now have berry plant plots on.

Rex (CBD) is spending more time sleeping in with the overcast rainy weather , think the weather has more to do with it than her wanting to bromate, she's coming to her 4th winter and has never bromated.

No basking lamp. How it get its Vit D? do you ever stick them out for a real sun bake at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back