new to pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmith

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys.

as the title says im new to pythons. i currently have a juvenile stimson python.

i was just after advice with handling him. i know they are ment to be one of the more snappy breeds when young. how long does this take for them to calm down?

he is currently feeding and once he is out of his enclosure he only strikes if something moves infront of his eyes.

thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Hi, I have no advice to offer, but congrats on your stimmie and I would love to see a pic. Pleeease :D I might get one, one day.

i will try to get one tonight if he wants to stay still for a photo

Handling it her mate. You might drop some blood but its part of the deal owing snakes. Let her crawl around you/hands etc. I never grab mine nor handle rough.. too me it makes the feel threatened... and being a smaller snake. I guess bite first ask questions later might be the first defense for them... ummm pics please

6f1162637d13e4cc49545051fa9b58ff.jpg

hey guys.

as the title says im new to pythons. i currently have a juvenile stimson python.

i was just after advice with handling him. i know they are ment to be one of the more snappy breeds when young. how long does this take for them to calm down?

he is currently feeding and once he is out of his enclosure he only strikes if something moves infront of his eyes.

thanks in advance

We have two Sandfire Stimson Pythons, a male and a female (Not that we are going to breed them), both we got as little shoe strings. You are right, they are a bit snappy but I found that you need to use smooth but confident hand movements and they get used to you, after this they are not so snappy and are very happy to be handled.

I handle mine as often as I can because they seem to have a short memory but they now know my smell and understand that I am not a threat. When any snake is small, everything is a threat, so the idea is to be as nonthreatening as possible.

If you get bitten it doesn't hurt or even break the skin, when they get bigger they can draw a small amount of blood, it is more the shock of how quickly they can strike. Every time I have been bitten, it has been my fault so I can't blame the snake, it is just that I am also new to Pythons and I am learning. One thing I have learned is to not get complacent, I make sure that when I put my hand in the enclosure to get them out, I pick them up around the middle confidently and they are happy, go near the head and you might get bit. Mine are now 3 and 4 years old now and they are a wonderful animal and very inquisitive, they love to hang from sticks so I put driftwood sticks with branches for them to hang from with rock ledges to curl up on. They are clowns trying to climb, I hear a thud when they fall. They are hardy and it doesn't seem to hurt them so all is good.

I hope this helps

- - - Updated - - -

What a lovely looking Python, they grow quickly so take plenty of pic's. Congratulations mate, you will love your Stimmie.

We have two Sandfire Stimson Pythons, a male and a female (Not that we are going to breed them), both we got as little shoe strings. You are right, they are a bit snappy but I found that you need to use smooth but confident hand movements and they get used to you, after this they are not so snappy and are very happy to be handled.

I handle mine as often as I can because they seem to have a short memory but they now know my smell and understand that I am not a threat. When any snake is small, everything is a threat, so the idea is to be as nonthreatening as possible.

If you get bitten it doesn't hurt or even break the skin, when they get bigger they can draw a small amount of blood, it is more the shock of how quickly they can strike. Every time I have been bitten, it has been my fault so I can't blame the snake, it is just that I am also new to Pythons and I am learning. One thing I have learned is to not get complacent, I make sure that when I put my hand in the enclosure to get them out, I pick them up around the middle confidently and they are happy, go near the head and you might get bit. Mine are now 3 and 4 years old now and they are a wonderful animal and very inquisitive, they love to hang from sticks so I put driftwood sticks with branches for them to hang from with rock ledges to curl up on. They are clowns trying to climb, I hear a thud when they fall. They are hardy and it doesn't seem to hurt them so all is good.

I hope this helps

- - - Updated - - -

What a lovely looking Python, they grow quickly so take plenty of pic's. Congratulations mate, you will love your Stimmie.
thanks for the advice. im handling him/her every day for a few minutes. increasing the time slowly. it is fine most the time unless something moves infront of its face haha.

and i can see how they would be clumsy climbers. mine will slither up my arm and then nearly fall off if i dont support him

Wow, so small when young!! Gorgeous, thanks for sharing jsmith :)

Wow, so small when young!! Gorgeous, thanks for sharing jsmith :)
yeh they are tiny. thisone was born october/nov i think so the real young ones are so small

I got bitten on the eye ball once by a yearling jungle. And... it didnt tickle thats for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back