scale blistering

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iguana

Reaction score
Any tips on how to help treat scale blistering? Just saw today my diamond has a minor case and I'd like to try anything to treat it I can before a vet trip. So far i've cleared out the cage except for newspaper, hides and a water bowl, as well as putting diluted betadine on the blisters.

Oh God what have I started!!!

Like Jamie has said, a photo speaks a thousand words and would probably give us an idea of the blister/wound we're looking at.

Surely the Christ of Pythons doesn't need a photo to give incorrect advice??

Hang on, I'll have to climb down off my cross to reply to this... damned nail holes make it hard to type... Generally, but probably not always, I try to keep my advice fairly accurate, except in cases where the colours have been altered in photos, then it's hard to tell what we're looking at, especially when there is no scientific name to go by. But then, I don't have your fabulous mentor (the finest breeder in all the land) to guide me through my reptile life, so I'm at a significant disadvantage, destined to remain a pygmy of the reptile world for the remainder of my life:(.

Alas, giving advice is such a thankless task... perhaps you could give it a go sometime ER? Go on, you know you can do it!

Jamie

- - - Updated - - -

Oh God what have I started!!!

Like Jamie has said, a photo speaks a thousand words and would probably give us an idea of the blister/wound we're looking at.

I'm liking the biblical references my son...

J

I'm just going to get a crap ton of popcorn and change my name to #DramaAlert

What is up APS Nation, I'm your host DJ BredliFreak and lets get riiiggghht into the news!

- - - Updated - - -

There's no way in hell ;) that I could've missed that pun, thanks Jamie for pointing it out!

I'm just going to get a crap ton of popcorn and change my name to #DramaAlert

What is up APS Nation, I'm your host DJ BredliFreak and lets get riiiggghht into the news!

Damn BF (DA), this is about the time I sign off - have to start dinner, feed the dogs, light the fire, do the washing up before the wife gets home... I'll leave the computer on for a while longer...

J

Ha Ha, until next time Jamie. I start a banter thread and I suppose banter is what I get, or create anyways ;) :lol:

photo 1 - Copy.jpg [MENTION=41820]pythoninfinite[/MENTION] [MENTION=41799]BredliFreak[/MENTION] wow this thread took a wild turn lol, anyway here's the photo, sorry for the timing he just shed and I didn't want to bother him for awhile. He's got another patch like this but smaller.

Thanks for that Iguana - good photo! Could be a couple of things, more likely related to physical damage - either a burn, or if you were handling at it a critical time before it shed, the old layer of skin may have been torn away from the developing skin underneath, possibly if you were unwinding or dragging it from a branch or whatever. So, check for possible hot spots where the animal may burn from a heat source - this is more common where a heat source gets hot very quickly when the thermostat turns it on and the snake is close to it, leading to intense localised heating before the animal warms up enough to move away. The other thing - handling when in shed - is self evident. Once you notice the shed approaching, don't handle it at all, just leave it be until the process is complete.

Jamie

Thanks for that Iguana - good photo! Could be a couple of things, more likely related to physical damage - either a burn, or if you were handling at it a critical time before it shed, the old layer of skin may have been torn away from the developing skin underneath, possibly if you were unwinding or dragging it from a branch or whatever. So, check for possible hot spots where the animal may burn from a heat source - this is more common where a heat source gets hot very quickly when the thermostat turns it on and the snake is close to it, leading to intense localised heating before the animal warms up enough to move away. The other thing - handling when in shed - is self evident. Once you notice the shed approaching, don't handle it at all, just leave it be until the process is complete.

Jamie

Thanks for the info, physical damage sounds about right, better than scale rot or blistering, I didn't handle up from when his eyes went blue to when he shed, afterwards I saw the marks and applied Betadine. However there were some areas he had trouble with shedding, could that be it? As for the burn, the light is caged and it stays at too low of a temp to burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back