New additions!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

imported-varanus

Reaction score
Had these hatch out last month:). KI locale.

Attachments

• IMG_7709.jpg
    IMG_7709.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_7710.jpg
    IMG_7710.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_7829.jpg
    IMG_7829.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 515
Love their colouring and they look very healthy.

What species are they ?

Legend mate, i have always loved your tastes in animals, gorgeous bubs

They certainly are healthy looking and attractive. Well done!
@kingofnobbys Varanus rosenbergi, Kangaroo Island locale. It's a shame they loose their orange colours as they they get older.

Last edited:
They are very special. KI locality are one of the remaining secure populations. Congratulations.

I can't believe they were fitting inside those eggs! Very cute by the way. Their skin looks like aboriginal artwork. I'm drooling.

First out at 173 days, Jamie, using the no substrate/ over water method and following crocdoc's incubation methods to the letter. They appeared quiet turgid before piping, but all healthy, bouncing bubs with only 1 (from 14) still having some umbilicus attached. eight days between first and last out:). Over water's the way forward! Here's how turgid some looked prior to piping and pre-hatch sweating of the eggs.

IMG_7661.jpg

IMG_7663.jpg

Definitely going for a Heath Monitor when I get the correct licence. Stunning lizards. I've had many fond memories of them in my childhood.

Definitely going for a Heath Monitor when I get the correct licence. Stunning lizards. I've had many fond memories of them in my childhood.

Me too! They used to be very common around Albany and all along the south coast, and I remember when the Kwinana Freeway was being extended towards Rockingham & Mandurah, sadly there were many killed on the new highway where it cut through that sandy Banksia bushland south of Perth. I find it interesting that this species has such a disjointed distribution, from SW WA to Kangaroo Island and even here in NSW, but the populations seem to be separated by thousands of kilometres.

Jamie

Me too! They used to be very common around Albany and all along the south coast, and I remember when the Kwinana Freeway was being extended towards Rockingham & Mandurah, sadly there were many killed on the new highway where it cut through that sandy Banksia bushland south of Perth. I find it interesting that this species has such a disjointed distribution, from SW WA to Kangaroo Island and even here in NSW, but the populations seem to be separated by thousands of kilometres.

Jamie

It's always sad to see them squashed on the road, as with any reptile. When I was a kid we had one that lived under a log at our bus stop. Just about every morning in summer he would come out and sun himself on the log. Every now and then we would place an egg near his log and back away and he would eat it. Then one day we were late for the bus and the other kids decided to get out and chase him while they waited for us. They had rolled over his log. I don't think we saw him again after that. You would often see small individuals sunning themselves on the road in the mornings, particularly through the Stirling Ranges. Perhaps they were females? They seem to favour the southern parts of Australia in relation to their distribution. Is there much difference between the localities?

Would love to have some one day, but that may be a while as I've heard getting a Cat 5 licence can be a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back