What subspecies of carpet python is my snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzi14

Reaction score
Just got my second carpet python, the breeder didn't really know what type of carpet he/she was. Its around 5 months old and 40cm long give or take

Attachments

• 20160728_203708.jpg
    20160728_203708.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 313
Welcome to APS.
If the breeder didn't know what sort of python it is :rolleyes:, no-one else is going to be able to tell you. Couldn't the breeder even tell you what the parents are?

Welcome to APS.
If the breeder didn't know what sort of python it is :rolleyes:, no-one else is going to be able to tell you. Couldn't the breeder even tell you what the parents are?
I'm decently new to snakes, but I thought that you could get an idea of the type of carpet from the coloration and patterns? I'm quite sure hatchlings change colour though through to adolescence though. It was actually my friend who gave me the snake who he got off a breeder so I'll try and chase that down though I don't think he will know.doesn't matter really was just a bit curious of the type :)

You're right about them changing, especially in their first year. So it's difficult to be very precise with such a young snake, but if I was to take a stab at it I'd say it looks VERY much like a SW Carpet, imbricata (this would be my pick), otherwise a Coastal mcdowelli. But with the mixed bloods now integrated into the captive Carpet Python mess, it could really be anything.

Jamie

It's probably a hybrid. Looks like it has diamond, maybe B&W jungle? It's probably got Murray Darling as well. Not even an expert can tell what ssp. that is, that's carpet crossing for ya :|

But enjoy your new snake! He looks beautiful :D

You're right about them changing, especially in their first year. So it's difficult to be very precise with such a young snake, but if I was to take a stab at it I'd say it looks VERY much like a SW Carpet, imbricata (this would be my pick), otherwise a Coastal mcdowelli. But with the mixed bloods now integrated into the captive Carpet Python mess, it could really be anything.

Jamie
Thanks for the reply. I was trying to match it to a carpet on the internet to find out the type. I couldn't really match it to anything as it looked quite similar to several types of carpet. I guess I'll have a later shot at finding out to see how it colours up in a year.

- - - Updated - - -

It's probably a hybrid. Looks like it has diamond, maybe B&W jungle? It's probably got Murray Darling as well. Not even an expert can tell what ssp. that is, that's carpet crossing for ya :|

But enjoy your new snake! He looks beautiful :D

Cheers mate. Yea your right it could be anything at this point.

My first thought was Darwin actually. Whether it is crossed with anything who knows.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

We've got a similar one - we think he's diamond cross coastal...

He's over a year old now the brown is disappearing...

P4180059.jpg

Good luck figuring that out. I bought a nice little carpet that was sold to me as a coastal. The parents both looked very coastal but my girl looks like a sure cross.

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

She goes about 6 feet 3 inches these days at 3 years of age.

Your snake looks very nice no matter what the mix.

Good luck figuring that out. I bought a nice little carpet that was sold to me as a coastal. The parents both looked very coastal but my girl looks like a sure cross.

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

She goes about 6 feet 3 inches these days at 3 years of age.

Your snake looks very nice no matter what the mix.
Beautiful snake you have there. She looks like a diamond cross.

I just wont take a stab at all, way too much cross breeding and people taking snakes without any idea of what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back