Quarantine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alichamp

Reaction score
Well, some very exciting news for us. We finally got our Cat B licence approved so now we can get a stimmie!! Yay!

We have a blotched bluey already. But what I have read about quarantine applies to the same types of animals, rather than say a new snake and a lizard. So other than mites, what other parasites/diseases/infections can pass between the two animals? And if I do need to quarantine snake from lizard, how long for?

The animals will never come in physical contact with each other, this is about placement of enclosures, so can we keep the enclosures next to each other?

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new aquisition,Stimmies are so cool.despite being different species you should still isolate them from each other for min 6 months.Recent developments have indicated that very nasty snake viruses can affect lizards also. We have resorted to keeping all new reptiles on the back verandah and F10ing everything after every use.
I know it's a pain but would you rather lose your other creature(s)?
We have over 30 so will not take chances

At least separate rooms for several months, as Rick has already suggested.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks, as I suspected but it is always worth asking I suppose. I just have to find out where to put the new one when we get it, our living area is open plan (that's where the bluey is) and we only have occupied bedrooms... Trying to work out where I can have best supervision of the kids... hmmm....

I don't wanna be the one that says that everything is useless, HOWEVER I have never quarantined my new additions (probably should though) and never have ever had any problems at all.

You've just been very lucky then!

I would always want to be 110% sure- I don't want to risk the health of my other animals!
Look, I totally agree with you! Bad habit of mine, but I certainly check that the snakes health IS PERFECT!! No mouth rot (actually once got told off by a breeder for opening the snakes mouth, then found out it had mouth rot!) mites or any diseases. I find it a little bit risky, however since I check them over and over again for any imperfections I think it's OK!

Look, I totally agree with you! Bad habit of mine, but I certainly check that the snakes health IS PERFECT!! No mouth rot (actually once got told off by a breeder for opening the snakes mouth, then found out it had mouth rot!) mites or any diseases. I find it a little bit risky, however since I check them over and over again for any imperfections I think it's OK!

What you can see doesn't tend to be the most deadly thing- what if the snake had Sunshines or something else that can be invisible and deadly as well as highly contagious?
Just something to think on when you get another snake :)

As I said, very true but just saying I have probably been quite lucky :)

I think a lot of us have been lucky,Thank F*%k, but we can't be stupid (or ignorant)any more, there are some really nasty things going on and we can't ignore them any more or else we risk losing entire collections

Hi, this is my quarantine process.
  • separate air space (enclosures kept in separate rooms)
  • separate feeding tongs (F10 and rinse well after use)
  • separate cleaning equipment, cloths etc (using F10)
  • clean water bowls separately (use F10 and rinse well)
  • handle separately and F10 yourself before and after
I also take any new animals to a reptile vet and get a mouth and cloaca swab sent to a lab for testing. I only end the quarantine period after the second test come back negative. The two test are six months apart.

Once upon a time when quarantine was the new sensation it was suggested 6 months was appropriate.
Since the advent of sunshine virus and learnings of incubation periods of some diseases it now often suggested that an 'adequate' quarantine period is 2 years.

By the time you 'see' something that suggests there might be a problem it is often already too late and no one is immune.
Relying on good luck and checking your animals on a regular basis is hardly sufficient protection.

A well known breeder in NSW lost more than 50% of his collection 2 years ago to sunshine virus.

I have been extremely lucky only because I quarantined!!!
I bought from someone in NT a beautiful big coastal boy, he hadn't been handled much
Because of all the stories of SV going around I quarantined him
Next thing I know I was contacted by someone else who had a boughta snake from the same person demanding I get him tested for borna virus which I had never heard of at the time

He tested positive and I decided to have him euthanised
He was perfectly healthy though and had been health checked visually by a vet

Even though I quarantined I got all my animals tested anyway for my own piece of mind, luckily I only had 5 animals at the time rather than the 46 I have now

None of my animals tested positive!
So from then on I will always advocate quarantining!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been extremely lucky only because I quarantined!!!
I bought from someone in NT a beautiful big coastal boy, he hadn't been handled much
Because of all the stories of SV going around I quarantined him
Next thing I know I was contacted by someone else who had a boughta snake from the same person demanding I get him tested for borna virus which I had never heard of at the time

He tested positive and I decided to have him euthanised
He was perfectly healthy though and had been health checked visually by a vet

Even though I quarantined I got all my animals tested anyway for my own piece of mind, luckily I only had 5 animals at the time rather than the 46 I have now

None of my animals tested positive!
So from then on I will always advocate quarantining!

how did a snake get borna virus ? it is a virus affecting warm blooded creatures

how did a snake get borna virus ? it is a virus affecting warm blooded creatures

There must be a variation on it, it is tested by the same gentleman that does the SV testing
And my reptile vets had certainly heard of it while I hadn't

I had the same thought. When I had a quick look there is apparently a strain that has been found in garter snakes. Not sure how this would get into Oz or even if it has relevence but maybe the virus has mutated from other animals?

I had the same thought. When I had a quick look there is apparently a strain that has been found in garter snakes. Not sure how this would get into Oz or even if it has relevence but maybe the virus has mutated from other animals?

Possibly, all I know is the person who contacted me to get the snake tested has lost 50% of there collection and been on lockdown since

How did the virus get into Oz? Over the last two days I've heard of 2 smuggling rings stopped, so how many more are out there?

This is a good advertisement for why we don't and shouldn't ever have foreign animals here in Australia as pets.

How did the virus get into Oz? Over the last two days I've heard of 2 smuggling rings stopped, so how many more are out there?

This is a good advertisement for why we don't and shouldn't ever have foreign animals here in Australia as pets.

I agree 100%
I don't know anymore unfortunately than the snake I had in my collection and what my vet told me

this will really change the environment,if we need to quarantine animals in separate rooms for 2 years or more,who has that many rooms?We have reptiles in 4 rooms and the quarantine on the verandah and in the laundry.Was going to build a big shed soon where quarantine can happen but still in 1 room.
basically this means we can't buy any more reps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back