Former Nrl Star Arrested Over Wildlife Smuggling Ring

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scutellatus, that may be a fair enough comment, but the member who posted a very demeaning comment about someone who has tirelessly worked for decades to break new ground and develop pet herpetology in this country should not have his comment justified. That member landed the first "text-bashing" blow, and his comment was not benign, even though it might have been made in ignorance.

Facebook is the reason why these forums are not as active as they were a few years ago, not strong debates.

Jamie
As I said in my post I don't agree with what he said. But for everyone to stoop to his level is not something I think is right. It is things like "His next crap", "You need to get out more" and "King of knobs" that I feel need to be left out of a mature discussion. The old saying that ' Two wrongs don't make a right' is very applicable here.
As for the old forum declining because of Facebook, I beg to differ.
I was a member on the old forum over ten years ago and saw quite a lot of this going on. So much so that I decided to stop visiting the forum. The ridiculous petty attacks on what people wrote, albeit ignorant posts, were nothing short if childish. I am not sure how many people that are members here now were members back then, but if they were I am sure they can attest to the goings on.

I've been around for ten years + too, and I acknowledge that a thick skin was a requirement in the early days, as it is sometimes required now. Facebook has definitely eaten into these forums big time - how many of the big breeders or well known keepers frequent these sites any more? Almost none, but their presence on Facebook is massive and constant, and their ability to maintain constant dialogue with others is greatly assisted by the format of Facebook. Many people are on Facebook almost 24/7.

I believe, for better or worse, that the opinionated conflicts generated on these forums in earlier times actually energised them and helped them maintain membership activity, not that I see that as a good thing generally.

As for my comment about "needing to get out more," it means what I meant it to mean - how about asking around before casting aspersions on someone's character, someone you may not have met, and certainly don't know very well.

Jamie

Scutellatus, as a member from the "old" APS, I can say with confidence that the posts on here, while perhaps having a dig, are nowhere near as bad as those on the old threads. it got to a point where I wouldn't post, or ask a question, for fear of being burnt. There have only been one or two threads on the "new" APS that have engendered "active" discussion, and only one that required moderation. Funnily enough, one of the main offenders in that last thread was from the old days.

Scutellatus, as a member from the "old" APS, I can say with confidence that the posts on here, while perhaps having a dig, are nowhere near as bad as those on the old threads. it got to a point where I wouldn't post, or ask a question, for fear of being burnt. There have only been one or two threads on the "new" APS that have engendered "active" discussion, and only one that required moderation. Funnily enough, one of the main offenders in that last thread was from the old days.
I realise that they are nowhere near as bad, but if not nipped in the bud early the disease spreads. My only real reason for posting was to see the new forum not become the old forum. I do understand the frustration with people that post ill-informed and ridiculous statements. It is the way people deal with them that I think is the issue. A robust discussion is great, when people start ridiculing the poster it makes them no better than said poster. I never argue with idiots because they will bring you down to their level and win everytime. I do understand what you were saying about Facebook pythoninfinite, it is like having your own mini forum.
Oooh... was that me :)?

J
I must admit that did give me a little chuckle.
Let's make the new APS something that people look up to. Like the original site was, before all the garbage that contributed to its demise.

Last edited:
Haha, no Jamie. Right thread though. You know who I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure he has a different screen name now.

I generally try not to take the bait but...

What fact based evidence do you have to support this claim as that is a very bold statement to make on APS considering John Weigels contributions to the hobby...

Did he ?

Must have been before I joined the hobby or started keeping a few pet lizards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back