Stuck Shed Diamond,

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Iguana,

I'm inclined to agree with the others that are of the opinion it is skin damage and I don't believe it is a result of shedding problems. I'm of the opinion that like others have suggested it's either the result of a slight burn or an abrasion but more likely a burn. As nice as the cage furnishings appear I think your setup v the size of the snake is what is actually causing the problem. I'd consider housing it in a larger enclosure, getting rid of the infrared light and providing a larger water bowl for it to soak and another smaller one for drinking water.

You should never have to mist a cage for diamonds, soak them or apply moisturizers etc pre shed if the snake is provided with the right environment.

The snake looks fine but again, as suggested, stop soaking it so the wounds won't become infected and just let them repair themselves over time (often after one or two sheds). Above all I'd consider a different method of housing.

Cheers.

@pythoninfinite Based on what everyone is saying I can agree that it is damage, but I honestly don't think it's a burn. Based on the fact that the time from the wounds appearing and the light being on doesn't match up. The wattage is pretty low, only 52W, it gets the hotspot to 30-32, and is only on for 4 hours. Is also on a thermostat and using a infared heat gun, i've never seen the hotspot go above 33.

@Pauls_Pythons Will do more research, am going to a workshop on Saturday which Shane Simpson is hosting, will ask there :)

Hi Iguana,

I'm inclined to agree with the others that are of the opinion it is skin damage and I don't believe it is a result of shedding problems. I'm of the opinion that like others have suggested it's either the result of a slight burn or an abrasion but more likely a burn. As nice as the cage furnishings appear I think your setup v the size of the snake is what is actually causing the problem. I'd consider housing it in a larger enclosure, getting rid of the infrared light and providing a larger water bowl for it to soak and another smaller one for drinking water.

You should never have to mist a cage for diamonds, soak them or apply moisturizers etc pre shed if the snake is provided with the right environment.

The snake looks fine but again, as suggested, stop soaking it so the wounds won't become infected and just let them repair themselves over time (often after one or two sheds). Above all I'd consider a different method of housing.

Cheers.

Yeah fair enough, I guess since the two events (shedding and skin damage) lined up I assumed it was stuck shed, but i'll trust the experience of everyone else on here since they've seen more of this than me lol.
Although, I do disagree with it being a burn, as I said to pythoninfinite , the time between the injury and the heat light coming on don't correspond. Before I went to bed He hadn't shed and the light was off, his skin looked completely fine. When I woke up in the morning, he had shed, and the marks were there, although the heat light hadn't come on yet, it looks like a burn but it just doesn't match up if you know what I mean?

Will defiantly house him in a larger enclosure when he's an adult, but right now he's only just over 4ft, and his enclosure is a 4ftH X 2ftW X 2ftL, I wouldn't have thought this too small already? He has no problem getting around and quite enjoys all the climbing branches. Although I will take the larger rocks and sharp things out. His water bowl he can happily fit in if he chooses, but I may get a shallow tub for shedding time. What other heat source would you recommend?

Will give him a soak and moisturize next time!

Ya i've stopped soaking, just gonna wait until his next shed which should be soon.

Always nice to see some advice given by those that have been around for awhile taken on board by those that have asked for it.

Best of luck with your Diamond Iguana.

Will give him a soak and moisturize next time!

As has already been suggested, it would be unwise to "soak and moisturise" prior to any future sheds. If the other husbandry parameters are fine, you should never need to soak a snake prior to shedding, and definitely give the moisturiser the flick. Any wound or injury like this should be kept as dry as possible - you risk a far more serious infection in the wound if water is present. Snakes with skin damage often shed very frequently until the wound is healed. Just let it do its thing without any unnecessary, possibly complicating, intervention. Snakes have been repairing in the wild without our help, and especially without moisturiser, for eons. If your environmental management is good, the snake will look after itself.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back