[urgent] Help Please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabien

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all, last week on Thursday I bought a beardie and stumpy, both 8 and 10 months old, I was wondering how many crickets I would feed them. Do I feed daily or every second day, and how many would I put in? I heard the stumpy likes fruit and veg so I put cut up grapes in the tank and she eats them and sometimes strawberries. I have researched about how to handle feed cleaning bathing etc but haven't found much information on how much to feed and when. Please help as I want my lizards to be happy and not starve.

I'd offer them as much as they'd be wanting to eat. When I feed my beardies live insects I put a big handful of bugs in a tub, put the dragon in there and let him chomp away until he loses interest, then put him back in his enclosure.

Regarding fruit, veg and other non-live foods, observe them after putting some in the food bowl, if they eat it all, add a little more, continue to do so until they lose interest. Take note of how much you add in total and next time round just offer that amount up-front.

Thanks, but I heard 6 crickets a day would be enough, but wouldn't that mean I'm running out of crickets quickly?

My stumpies love very ripe banana, their salads usually consist of rocket banana pumpkin and apple.

I feed stumpies every second day, mostly salads.

At 8 months old a beardy would probably be fed at least one insect meal daily, (as much as it will eat in 5 mins) mayb 2 depending on how much growing it still has to do, plus salad.

Don't forget to dust the crickets with calcium, not sure if a stumpy would do very well in catching crickets itself, but you can always tweezer feed if you can't find snails.
I assume you've sorted out the correct lights/temps and UV etc,...?

At least 20 crickets a day at 8 months old, unless it's already done all it's growing,...

Last edited by a moderator:
My stumpies love very ripe banana, their salads usually consist of rocket banana pumpkin and apple.

I feed stumpies every second day, mostly salads.

At 8 months old a beardy would probably be fed at least one insect meal daily, (as much as it will eat in 5 mins) mayb 2 depending on how much growing it still has to do, plus salad.

Don't forget to dust the crickets with calcium, not sure if a stumpy would do very well in catching crickets itself, but you can always tweezer feed if you can't find snails.
I assume you've sorted out the correct lights/temps and UV etc,...?

I believe I have the right temp and stuff, got the right lights. Can you tell me how many crickets I should buy in a container?

I believe I have the right temp and stuff, got the right lights. Can you tell me how many crickets I should buy in a container?
How would I know if it's done all it's growing?

Consider making the switch to roaches, they fill bellies faster. If you find you are burning through those small boxes too quickly, a lot of places sell buckets of feeders on an exchange basis.

In regards to growing, well when it reaches expected SVL, it'll probably stop growing.

An 8 month old beardie is far from fully grown, at least two years old for full size.
Offer both of them fresh fruit and veg; as a juvenile, the beardie may or may not eat it, but as it grows it will start to eat it more and more. As an adult, beardies eat more fruit and veg than live food.

An 8 month old beardie is far from fully grown, at least two years old for full size.
Offer both of them fresh fruit and veg; as a juvenile, the beardie may or may not eat it, but as it grows it will start to eat it more and more. As an adult, beardies eat more fruit and veg than live food.
I read about that, every day I feed them both quite a few crickets each and put a bowl of cut up grapes in there for them, the stumpy will eat the fruit but not the beardie that I know of, any fruits that you think a beardie will eat?

I also had another question, cleaning the tank, I know to sift the sand and heard to take the lizards out but where would I put them without them getting cold or escaping?

Just put them into a plastic bucket or tub for the few minutes it'll take you to sift the sand. Sounds like you got the animals long before you are ready to look after them properly.

Jamie

Just put them into a plastic bucket or tub for the few minutes it'll take you to sift the sand. Sounds like you got the animals long before you are ready to look after them properly.

Jamie
Actually I did a lot of research before getting them, the only reason I'm asking these questions is because I want others opinions and how they do it. I am ready to look after them properly and the only reason I asked that question was because I don't want them getting cold and the beardie likes to run so I wanted to see what people put their lizards in. So yes I am ready to look after them properly.

I was just curious, do you think 10 crickets each a day is enough?

Just keep the food coming until he's obviously lost interest. When my beardies were that age they'd clean up probably ten adult wood roaches in one sitting, each. Given adult woodies are close to twice the volume as crickets, i'd say no. Not at all.

Hi Sabien,

As Nick suggests buy the recommended books. In the mean time acquaint yourself with these.

https://www.lllreptile.com/articles/159-tips-for-raising-baby-bearded-dragons-in-captivity/

https://www.kellyvillepets.com.au/pages/bearded-dragons

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/caresheet/

http://www.pilbarapythons.com/bobtailcaresheets.htm

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Lizard-Species/Shingleback-Skink/

10 Crickets a day is nowhere near enough if you want your beardy to grow at a normal rate. Try to get your hands on wood roaches as suggested. You can even feed them maggots (leave out a bit of raw meat or can of dog food somewhere safe and you'll have heaps in no time). Offer both the beardy and shingleback a mix of vegies and fruit daily. Despite what some people will tell you, you can also offer both canned puppy food. You will have to spray the beary with a little water daily to ensure that it gets a drink and doesn't dehydrate. I hope you've got a good heat source and UV set up for them if they are inside. Are you keeping them in the same enclosure?

Best of luck,

George.

For both of them offer a variety of fruit and veg (more veg than fruit). Over time you will find what ones they like, and keep offering a mix of different things each day.
As an example, bok choy, mustard greens, amaranth, green peas, chopped green beans, fancy lettuce (definitely not iceberg lettuce), grated carrot, grated butternut/pumpkin, grated zucchini, chopped strawberries (or other berries), finely chopped capsicum, and banana occasionally are all good in their diets.

Hi Sabien,

As Nick suggests buy the recommended books. In the mean time acquaint yourself with these.

https://www.lllreptile.com/articles/159-tips-for-raising-baby-bearded-dragons-in-captivity/

https://www.kellyvillepets.com.au/pages/bearded-dragons

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/caresheet/

http://www.pilbarapythons.com/bobtailcaresheets.htm

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Lizard-Species/Shingleback-Skink/

10 Crickets a day is nowhere near enough if you want your beardy to grow at a normal rate. Try to get your hands on wood roaches as suggested. You can even feed them maggots (leave out a bit of raw meat or can of dog food somewhere safe and you'll have heaps in no time). Offer both the beardy and shingleback a mix of vegies and fruit daily. Despite what some people will tell you, you can also offer both canned puppy food. You will have to spray the beary with a little water daily to ensure that it gets a drink and doesn't dehydrate. I hope you've got a good heat source and UV set up for them if they are inside. Are you keeping them in the same enclosure?

Best of luck,

George.
Yes they're in the same enclosure. I've got them both in a 4 foot tank and I feed them both until they stop but the beardie doesn't eat fruit or veg. I've tried feeding him some but he won't touch it, is there any way that'll get him to eat it? With the cold weather I wanted to bathe my beardie but wanted to know if stumpy's can bathe as well.

I hope you took the time to read the cars sheets.

If they're in a tank...Is it a glass tank? Glass tanks are notorious for not retaining heat. Do they have to share the same basking spot? Is the basking spot hot enough? You shouldn't have to bathe the Bearded, just spray a little water on its head and allow it to lick the drops as they drip down into its mouth and definitely don't bathe the Shingleback. You just have to persist with feeding the Bearded a veg/fruit mix. You can put the crickets in the fridge to cool them down so they don't move around and take them out and place them,in with the veg/fruit mix to try and encourage the Bearded to eat it. It'll be attracted to the mix as the crickets warm up and start moving about. Alternatively you can, just mix a little bit of puppy food in with the veg/fruit mix and hope the smell attracts both of them to it.

I know it can be difficult to resist handling them but try not to disturb them too much and allow them to get use to their new surrounds.

George.

I hope you took the time to read the cars sheets.

If they're in a tank...Is it a glass tank? Glass tanks are notorious for not retaining heat. Do they have to share the same basking spot? Is the basking spot hot enough? You shouldn't have to bathe the Bearded, just spray a little water on its head and allow it to lick the drops as they drip down into its mouth and definitely don't bathe the Shingleback. You just have to persist with feeding the Bearded a veg/fruit mix. You can put the crickets in the fridge to cool them down so they don't move around and take them out and place them,in with the veg/fruit mix to try and encourage the Bearded to eat it. It'll be attracted to the mix as the crickets warm up and start moving about. Alternatively you can, just mix a little bit of puppy food in with the veg/fruit mix and hope the smell attracts both of them to it.

I know it can be difficult to resist handling them but try not to disturb them too much and allow them to get use to their new surrounds.

George.
Is there certain puppy food that's allowed and not allowed? Yes it's a glass tank and they're pretty used to their new surroundings, they like to be handled and chill with you. I've read about people's beardies that like to bathe in water and he sometimes sits in his water. They both bask in the same area. The beardie sits on his driftwood and the stumpy lays in the sand under it or in her cave.

Any puppy food that DOESN'T contain fish products. It's a misconception that lizards, in fact reptiles in general, like to be handled and chill out with people. They do tolerate it but prefer to be left alone. From what you've posted it appears that you've only had them both for around a week and it takes a lot longer than that for them to totally adapt to a new environment. For the welfare of your lizards it's best to keep handling to a minimum, at least at the moment. Some bearded's do like to sit in water and some people do bathe them but there isn't any need to. Just make sure that he's drinking because they quite often don't drink from standing water. It might also be worth considering to house them in separate enclosures, if not now then sometime down the track. At the moment it's worth the effort to insulate the side and back of the glass tank.

Did you read the care sheets? Do you intend to by the books recommended? There's plenty of info in the care sheets and the books to answer pretty much all your questions. The more you learn the better off both you and your lizards will be.

George.

Any puppy food that DOESN'T contain fish products. It's a misconception that lizards, in fact reptiles in general, like to be handled and chill out with people. They do tolerate it but prefer to be left alone. From what you've posted it appears that you've only had them both for around a week and it takes a lot longer than that for them to totally adapt to a new environment. For the welfare of your lizards it's best to keep handling to a minimum, at least at the moment. Some bearded's do like to sit in water and some people do bathe them but there isn't any need to. Just make sure that he's drinking because they quite often don't drink from standing water. It might also be worth considering to house them in separate enclosures, if not now then sometime down the track. At the moment it's worth the effort to insulate the side and back of the glass tank.

Did you read the care sheets? Do you intend to by the books recommended? There's plenty of info in the care sheets and the books to answer pretty much all your questions. The more you learn the better off both you and your lizards will be.

George.
Can't afford another tank or any room to put it. Would it be better to have the water that's in a bowl be lowered so the stumpy can reach it? I'm not sure if she's able to reach it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back