Diamond Python Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crispy llama

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm rather new to this and there seems to be a lot of different opinions out there about diamonds. So, I was wondering what an appropriate set up would be for a 12-18 month old diamond python.

What I'm interested in is what size enclosure, what heating/lighting equipment, and temperature regime would be required/do you recommend?

Thanks for all your replies!

I would suggest buying and reading these books for both general and specific information

* Keeping Carpet Pythons by Kortlang and Greem
* Care of Australian Reptiles in Captivity by Weigel
* Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons (ed Swan

I agree with @Pauls_Pythons in that no one really agrees when it comes to information about diamond pythons. There are tons of threads, with loads of information by experienced keepers. I do also recommend as @cagey said, ' Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons (ed Swan' this is the book I have, and while it's pricey it has some great information of python keeping in general, and a chapter specifically for diamond pythons.
I'll give my two cents,
Is the diamond new or have you had it since a hatchy?
After 1 year, hatchys don't get 24hr heat, it's reduced way down, I give mine 4 hours of heat (Via heat lamp) in the morning during feeding season, and during brumation (which begins in may I believe) I will only be giving him 2.
As for enclosure size, the absolute best indoor cage size, recommended by many books, is a 4FT long, 2FT wide, and 3FT high (for an adult), because they generally like to climb. However, IMO a 2ft high is okay for a normal sized diamond. You've got a couple of options with an adult enclosure, you can choose an inbetween enclosure something like 3ft long or just go straight for the adult enclosure.
The adult enclosure is fine but make sure to put tons of hidey spots in there, since baby snakes are nervous little things.
Hope this helped, make sure to check out other threads too :)

Search through previous threads on this subject. There is tons of information and you will never find total agreement on the subject.

Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out. It's just a little confusing with all the different opinions.

I would suggest buying and reading these books for both general and specific information

* Keeping Carpet Pythons by Kortlang and Greem
* Care of Australian Reptiles in Captivity by Weigel
* Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons (ed Swan

Thanks! I've ordered the last one and am just waiting for it to arrive :) I'll check out the others too

I agree with @Pauls_Pythons in that no one really agrees when it comes to information about diamond pythons. There are tons of threads, with loads of information by experienced keepers. I do also recommend as @cagey said, ' Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons (ed Swan' this is the book I have, and while it's pricey it has some great information of python keeping in general, and a chapter specifically for diamond pythons.
I'll give my two cents,
Is the diamond new or have you had it since a hatchy?
After 1 year, hatchys don't get 24hr heat, it's reduced way down, I give mine 4 hours of heat (Via heat lamp) in the morning during feeding season, and during brumation (which begins in may I believe) I will only be giving him 2.
As for enclosure size, the absolute best indoor cage size, recommended by many books, is a 4FT long, 2FT wide, and 3FT high (for an adult), because they generally like to climb. However, IMO a 2ft high is okay for a normal sized diamond. You've got a couple of options with an adult enclosure, you can choose an inbetween enclosure something like 3ft long or just go straight for the adult enclosure.
The adult enclosure is fine but make sure to put tons of hidey spots in there, since baby snakes are nervous little things.
Hope this helped, make sure to check out other threads too :)

Thanks for the advice! It's really helped clear things up :)

It's a new snake, I've somewhat rescued her from a friend who was left with her :/
She was kept in a small tub with a heat mat and water dish, but no hide. For now I've put her in a larger enclosure with a hide and a few branches, and put a thermostat and thermometer on the heat mat. But I do want to provide something better.

Either side of brumation do you taper the amount of time the lamps are on or do you just go straight into it? Furthermore, do you recommend ceramic or infrared lamps?

Thanks again for the info!

Thanks for the advice! It's really helped clear things up :)

It's a new snake, I've somewhat rescued her from a friend who was left with her :/
She was kept in a small tub with a heat mat and water dish, but no hide. For now I've put her in a larger enclosure with a hide and a few branches, and put a thermostat and thermometer on the heat mat. But I do want to provide something better.

Either side of brumation do you taper the amount of time the lamps are on or do you just go straight into it? Furthermore, do you recommend ceramic or infrared lamps?

Thanks again for the info!

No problem! Glad it helped,
And it's great to hear about a rescue, very good of you to take her in.
Your setup sounds good, you've got all the basics and aslong as she's eating and pooping fine you've got nothing really to worry about. I would recommend swapping the heat mat out with a lamp, if the tank you have her in allows it, (assuming it's glass with a screen top?) As for type of bulb, i'd recommend a CHE if you can, these are great because they last for ages, much longer than any bulb, and get very hot. Infrared are good for seeing when the lamp is on, because with CHE it's hard to tell. Whichever one you use, make sure that the snake cannot touch it, (ie light cage), and for CHE you'll need a ceramic fitting, because they will melt a plastic one in no time.

As for brumation, people have different opinions on that too. What I'll be doing is tapering the time, but not too slowly, i'll be taking away an hour next week maybe, then when may begins just drop it down another hour so it's two hours. The book you ordered and I have, has a really handy chart in the diamond python chapter about heating hours at the different times of year. Also, you'll want to make sure your snake has 'clean guts' before she brumates, that is no feeding a week or so before, and making sure she poops her meal out before you start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back