Accelerated Growth Rate And Power Feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really helpful, I was a little worried my Albino Darwin juvie was slightly on the thin side, but he looks the same as your Albino Yellowtail.

Kittycat, so sorry you had to do that, how sad.

Oshkii, yeah, the loose skin would have worried me too, unless he was dehydrated or coming up to a shed.... How is he looking now, do you have a comparison photo?

Oshkii, yeah, the loose skin would have worried me too, unless he was dehydrated or coming up to a shed.... How is he looking now, do you have a comparison photo?

He wasn't coming up to a shed back then. As far as I'm aware he's been eating and drinking fine. Always been a ravenous feeder, even on the first night home he was keen for a meal. I'll see if I can take some new photos soon, as he's currently in the shedding process, so just leaving him alone until he's finished.

This is a really good conversation to have. First of all, I am so sorry for your loss kittykat. It's always extremely difficult when the time comes to lose a much loved family member.

Could you please tell me how you came to know she had intestinal tumors? She looks great in the pics. I take mine to the vet every 6 months for a health check. While they are only 1 and 3 years old, I hope they stay healthy for a long time.

Also what do everyone feed their snakes?
I only feed my girls the Pisces rats from the lab. Maybe it's me being paranoid. I don't believe the backyard breeders are as stringent in cleanliness as a lab would be. Am I wrong or are there backyarders out there that do have excellent set ups?

This is a really good conversation to have. First of all, I am so sorry for your loss kittykat. It's always extremely difficult when the time comes to lose a much loved family member.

Could you please tell me how you came to know she had intestinal tumors? She looks great in the pics. I take mine to the vet every 6 months for a health check. While they are only 1 and 3 years old, I hope they stay healthy for a long time.

I only feed my girls the Pisces rats from the lab. Maybe it's me being paranoid. I don't believe the backyard breeders are as stringent in cleanliness as a lab would be. Am I wrong or are there backyarders out there that do have excellent set ups?

Unfortunately the intestinal tumours weren't found until th necropsy
But he had stopped eating 6-8 mths before hand and would regurge anything force fed
He lost so much weight and was 850gms when we euthanised him, he was a 5 year old coastal Carpet Python, visually he looked dull and was in a lot of pain :(
It wasn't till towards the end that the extremes weight loss enabled us to see lumps around his intestinal area
6c241592e061c1a579d1a950a92600cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snakes get most of their fluid from their food. As we freeze their food a lot of the moisture is lost so I find its better to soak food before feeding.
Seems to take care of most of the problem shedders I've had

I always thaw my frozen food in warm water. The grey male pictured above appears to become quite excited when I run hot water from the tap (his enclosure is in the kitchen), even if it's not for feeding.

I happen to be one of those "backyard" breeders. My snakes and lizards are generally fed nothing else but what I grow or collect myself. No issues so far. My snakes are fed rodents and quail, although I'm aiming to have quail as their main food source.

Well here is something to make you think.........I refuse to use Pisces food and will only use what you refer too as 'Back Yard Breeders'. I have had Pisces stuff that I have binned because it appeared to me to be mushy and off colour once thawed.
And this is not an isolated case there a plenty of people who feel the same. Many of the breeders you refer to would be happy to give new buyers a tour of their facility, see if Pisces will do the same or even talk to you about what they feed the animals.

When we bred our own rats, we were particular about their tubs being clean, and what food we fed them. Plenty of fresh fruit and veg, as well as Laucke's rat and mice pellets. Had a go with quails, mostly unsuccessfully; might try again down the track. Rabbits are our aim now; less growing time, and they smell a lot better than rats.

People do have a bad habit of overfeeding snakes, and not just pythons. That scale separation in the last photo of a carpet that Yellowtail put up is an excellent example of a snake that is well over weight. You never see this in wild Carpets, even the really big ones that I regularly come across. Personally I think the albinos are also a little "chubby" as well. Not having a go, it's just my opinion.

I've been breeding rats and mice consistently for over 25 years using a mixture of only standard rat pellets & biomare. Never had an issue with the rodents or the snakes. Often end up with an oversupply of frozen rodents that I give away to friends.

I've also heard bad reports about Pisces' rodents.

George.

What's it like breeding rabbits? Does calcivirus effect them?
Once we have our breeding stock (carefully selected from breeders), we will keep a close eye on them. We didn't have an issue when we bred them before, but that was in the city.

That last picture was from a google image search, Ill see this arvo if i can get a snap of the one that I pass when i cross back into QLD.
Funny that the law is soo different between states

I'm not bagging backyard breeders. I was thinking between a lab and home grown would be different cleanliness. Those in the know could you please tell me the info on Pisces. I don't want to feed my pythons rubbish. With rats, quail and rabbit what would be more beneficial heath wise for a jungle carpet. Would one have more vitamins than a different one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back