Deciding What Snake To Buy!?!?!?!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobby

Reaction score
Im a green handler and want a hatchy to grown my skills as it grows.

I've thought of the spotted pythons and the albino darwins but am not sure which has the best temperament or what is easier too look after. From google it seems the spotted python are a really tame python but don't grow very big and the darwins are a well mannered snake and is obviously very beautiful.

What do you guys think? Is there another breed of python im missing?

thanks

Im a green handler and want a hatchy to grown my skills as it grows.

I've thought of the spotted pythons and the albino darwins but am not sure which has the best temperament or what is easier too look after. From google it seems the spotted python are a really tame python but don't grow very big and the darwins are a well mannered snake and is obviously very beautiful.

What do you guys think? Is there another breed of python im missing?

thanks

Murray darlings!!!!!! Sooo calm and sweet even as tiny hatchies and will eat anything!!! :D
Personally I've been bitten by the 2 spotteds I know :p but that doesn't mean anything ahhaaaa
This is my Murray Darling baby boy and he just stares at you with his big eyes and just curls up in my hand [emoji7] hahaa
6a2f757d5a42922dfc801918fe47b4b1.jpg

d1453635a6e78c899263e69d9b99a095.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you handled adults? would the murrys be more docile than spotted or darwin?
Murray darlings!!!!!! Sooo calm and sweet even as tiny hatchies and will eat anything!!! :D
Personally I've been bitten by the 2 spotteds I know :p but that doesn't mean anything ahhaaaa
This is my Murray Darling baby boy and he just stares at you with his big eyes and just curls up in my hand [emoji7] hahaa
6a2f757d5a42922dfc801918fe47b4b1.jpg

d1453635a6e78c899263e69d9b99a095.jpg

All three have general reputations for being placid. You could add Stimsons and childrens to that list. Having said that, I have been bitten by our spotted, and struck at defensively b y one of our albino Darwins. None of our MDs that we have ever owned has ever bitten/struck.
One of the best ways to decide is to buy from a breeder, one who will let you see and possibly handle the parents of the hatchlings. We did that with our first MD (our second snake), and he was and is a big pussycat.

There is only 1 option when you are looking to buy your first snake. If I've said this once I must have said it a thousand times, just get something you are passionate about. Don't worry what everyone else tells you because everyone knows better but the truth is only you know what you want.
Everyone will advise you this way and that based on their own experiences but each and every animal is like each and every human being....they are all different with different personalities (for want of a better word to describe them), and different attitudes.
Within 6 months you will buy another so to make sure your interest in the 1st one doesn't wane just go get what you love.

I've worked with snakes for 10 years so have probably handled more snakes than most. I'd have to agree with other posts in saying that Murray Darlings are probably the calmest snakes I've come across. Bredli's are another with a great temperament. Antaresia (Children's, Spotteds & Stimsons) can be really nice but I've been bitten by them many times. They tend to "have their moments". Darwins can also be nice but have seen more nervous Darwins than calm ones. Whatever you decide, make sure you handle it quite a few times before you buy it, see it being fed and take it out of its enclosure yourself for handling. If you're looking for a snake that will never bite, well I'm afraid that probably won't happen. Good luck & I'm sure you'll love him/her whatever you decide, they become a bit of an obsession!

I've worked with snakes for 10 years so have probably handled more snakes than most. I'd have to agree with other posts in saying that Murray Darlings are probably the calmest snakes I've come across. Bredli's are another with a great temperament. Antaresia (Children's, Spotteds & Stimsons) can be really nice but I've been bitten by them many times. They tend to "have their moments". Darwins can also be nice but have seen more nervous Darwins than calm ones. Whatever you decide, make sure you handle it quite a few times before you buy it, see it being fed and take it out of its enclosure yourself for handling. If you're looking for a snake that will never bite, well I'm afraid that probably won't happen. Good luck & I'm sure you'll love him/her whatever you decide, they become a bit of an obsession!

While I understand your message I think the liklihood of being to handle multiple times before you buy are a little off the mark.
Breeders are not going to hang onto a snake for 3 months, or be available for you to call around and handle little snakey for 5 mins just because thats what you want to do and the time suits you. We all still have lives to lead and many breeders these days are so concerned about security that they don't generally open their doors to even prospective buyers.
The other problem with this is I don't know where you have been or what animals you have handled prior to visiting my collection, am I really going to risk you carrying a virus into my collection on the off chance that you might eventually buy the animal you keep stressing out?
Every time I have a prospective buyer in to even look at an animal Im nervous and am considering doing interstate sales only. You can say use the famed F10 but that doesn't work if the virus is on your clothing.

My first snake was an adult 6 foot Murray Darling, he was (and still is 4 years later) a very calm, placid and forgiving snake, as i literally had zero experience. I've also got an Albino Darwin who just turned 12 months, and he's been fantastic to handle from a hatchling, again, it depends on the individual snake, but I've heard that Albino Darwins are quite calm snakes usually.

i'd say go for what you really want :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back