Buying Poss Hets... Worth It?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kittycat17

Reaction score
Thinking of purchasing a poss het axanthic hatchie...
Is it worth it?
Are poss hets worth it for any morph in your opinions??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my pet peeves with our hobby is when people advertise for sale 50% or 66% or anything less than 100% hets. It's either het or it's not IMO.
As long as you understand the genetics behind breeding with hets, there's no reason why you wouldn't buy one.

This is my understanding of hets @pinefamily if you look a the het to normal and het to het chart you have no way of knowing which of the offspring is het hence the 50% and 66% hets.

recessivegenechartballpythonslivingartreptilesmarkusjanecopy800x966.jpg

Buying Hets or Possible Hets is only of any value at all if you intend to breed the animals in the future. Without a plan to breed it is just a waste of money.
That said, is there any value in buying Hets.......Hell Yes, (Thats my attempt at being polite). Hets will cost you around half the price of animals with whatever visual trait you are buying for. 100% hets come with the guarantee that when you breed them, (if successful), you are guaranteed to breed animals with the visual trait you are trying to achieve.
Possible hets (50 or 66%) chance, I'm sorry Pinefamily but I have to dissagree with you on this one. Possible hets can normally be sourced for a fraction above the price of wild type animals. If you buy enough offspring from the same clutch you will be almost guaranteed success though it might take a couple of breeding seasons to get the combination needed to get you the desired outcome. Lets think about something rare such as an Albino BHP. If I had enough possible hets would there be value? Of course.
If all we have to start with is a single Albino animal then to develop the line there would be out crossing that would lead to a line of 66% or 50% hets.
That said when I have purchased possible hets I have bought them for the look of the animal not for its potential/het status. If they do turn out to be het that for me is a bonus.

Is there risk with buying hets. Of course there is, you can't see what you are buying, you rely upon the integrity of the seller to sell you a gene package that you are paying for. That said, buy from a reputable BREEDER. (Only the breeder of the hets knows exactly what animals produced the offspring). There are more good/honest people in the hobby than bad ones and I have never been ripped off with a het that turned out to be a dud but I do know people that have been and sometimes for seriously expensive animals.

Bloody great responses guys!!

I'm wanting to get the axanthic gene into my Coastal line, so poss hets are the long way around for me but I think this was a great discussion to have with you guys

Buying Hets or Possible Hets is only of any value at all if you intend to breed the animals in the future. Without a plan to breed it is just a waste of money.
That said, is there any value in buying Hets.......Hell Yes, (Thats my attempt at being polite). Hets will cost you around half the price of animals with whatever visual trait you are buying for. 100% hets come with the guarantee that when you breed them, (if successful), you are guaranteed to breed animals with the visual trait you are trying to achieve.
Possible hets (50 or 66%) chance, I'm sorry Pinefamily but I have to dissagree with you on this one. Possible hets can normally be sourced for a fraction above the price of wild type animals. If you buy enough offspring from the same clutch you will be almost guaranteed success though it might take a couple of breeding seasons to get the combination needed to get you the desired outcome. Lets think about something rare such as an Albino BHP. If I had enough possible hets would there be value? Of course.
If all we have to start with is a single Albino animal then to develop the line there would be out crossing that would lead to a line of 66% or 50% hets.
That said when I have purchased possible hets I have bought them for the look of the animal not for its potential/het status. If they do turn out to be het that for me is a bonus.

Is there risk with buying hets. Of course there is, you can't see what you are buying, you rely upon the integrity of the seller to sell you a gene package that you are paying for. That said, buy from a reputable BREEDER. (Only the breeder of the hets knows exactly what animals produced the offspring). There are more good/honest people in the hobby than bad ones and I have never been ripped off with a het that turned out to be a dud but I do know people that have been and sometimes for seriously expensive animals.

Plus one on that, Sir.

Hi i just bought a pair of coastals that are siblings and they both are from parents dad is 100%het axanthic and 100%het albino mum is 100% axanthic so was told my pair are both 66%het axanthic and 50% het albino so what do you think my chances would be to get a visual albino coastal or and axanthic when breeding time comes thanks for any info

I know this has been covered before but there seems to be a lot of confusion over hets.
A snake is not part het (50% or 66%) the percentage refers to the % chance that the snake is het for the relevant characteristic and breeding them is a lottery where you have a 50% or 66% chance.
Only 100% hets will guarantee the genes are passed on. If both of your carpets are hets then approx 25% of the progeny will show visual characteristics and you can work out the odds of that. If one isn't then they will have natural appearance.

I know this has been covered before but there seems to be a lot of confusion over hets.
A snake is not part het (50% or 66%) the percentage refers to the % chance that the snake is het for the relevant characteristic and breeding them is a lottery where you have a 50% or 66% chance.
Only 100% hets will guarantee the genes are passed on. If both of your carpets are hets then approx 25% of the progeny will show visual characteristics and you can work out the odds of that. If one isn't then they will have natural appearance.

Hi i just bought a pair of coastals that are siblings and they both are from parents dad is 100%het axanthic and 100%het albino mum is 100% axanthic so was told my pair are both 66%het axanthic and 50% het albino so what do you think my chances would be to get a visual albino coastal or and axanthic when breeding time comes thanks for any info

You have a chance but it's a slim chance.
Like I said in my initial response you need numbers to swing the odds in your favour, 4 or 6 animals would leave you with a near certainty of 1 pair carrying the trait but then you may need several breeding seasons to actually pair the right animals together.

When you get older long term breeding projects with chance possibilities loose there attraction.
I have some very old julattens from Tremains line that are almost certainly axanthic showing no brown or cream at 12 yrs but to prove them will be a multi generation outcrossing program that will produce a lot of mongrels and while it would make the line valuable I'm not doing it. This is one of the girls.IMG_5178.jpg

When you get older long term breeding projects with chance possibilities loose there attraction.
I have some very old julattens from Tremains line that are almost certainly axanthic showing no brown or cream at 12 yrs but to prove them will be a multi generation outcrossing program that will produce a lot of mongrels and while it would make the line valuable I'm not doing it. This is one of the girls.View attachment 320707

That thing is stunning, what about simply pairing to another black and gold jungle? Then offspring back to each other or is that to much long term?

That thing is stunning, what about simply pairing to another black and gold jungle? Then offspring back to each other or is that to much long term?

This is the exact reason I dislike designer breeding. The majority of it becomes inbreeding just to get something special. Would you encourage your children to have kids together just because one has beautiful blue eyes and the other has blonde hair?
Im my opinion designer breeding should only be done with unrelated pairs at all times.

This is the exact reason I dislike designer breeding. The majority of it becomes inbreeding just to get something special. Would you encourage your children to have kids together just because one has beautiful blue eyes and the other has blonde hair?
Im my opinion designer breeding should only be done with unrelated pairs at all times.

From the research I have done line breeding has shown very little genetic mutations?
I understand that some people don't like it though

Snakes aren't like humans, they can bred within the same family line. I don't see this sort of thing as designer breeding; I call it "designer breeding" when there is crossing between various (sub)species. Just my own opinion.

Snakes aren't like humans, they can bred within the same family line. I don't see this sort of thing as designer breeding; I call it "designer breeding" when there is crossing between various (sub)species. Just my own opinion.

An opinion I do agree with :D

Please correct me if I am wrong but aren't all albino Darwin's the offspring of blondie? Thus all her offspring have at some point in time been either paired with their mother or a sibling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back