Should I Put A Hatchling Snake In Its Full Sized Enclosure??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a Bredli Python and I have researched a lot and was just wondering can I get an enclosure that it can stay in life or do I have to get new ones as the snake grows?? Thanks

Hope my question makes sense

Welcome to APS.
As a hatchling/juvenile, it is best to keep a snake in a small tub that most people refer to as click clacks. This name comes from the Sistema brand and the sound the latches make doing it up. Snakes prefer small spaces, and a young one will feel less threatened in a small tub. For the keeper, it is easier to clean and look after the snake. The tub is kept on a heat mat.
Once the snake outgrows the tub, you can put it into an enclosure big enough for life.

Here's a link on how to set up a click clack.
https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/guide-to-build-a-click-clack-dial-up-warning.93266/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I thought they would be scared but... Me never owning one wanted someone else's opinion/advice

Chears!!

Welcome to APS.
As a hatchling/juvenile, it is best to keep a snake in a small tub that most people refer to as click clacks. This name comes from the Sistema brand and the sound the latches make doing it up. Snakes prefer small spaces, and a young one will feel less threatened in a small tub. For the keeper, it is easier to clean and look after the snake. The tub is kept on a heat mat.
Once the snake outgrows the tub, you can put it into an enclosure big enough for life.

Here's a link on how to set up a click clack.
https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/guide-to-build-a-click-clack-dial-up-warning.93266/

Not being picky here but the underlined section in the quote above is incorrect. Being a mature herper, (read "old"), the name is actually from years back before Systema hit the hobby. Click clack is actually a brand name and is manufactured in NZ. These are the best tubs on the market but have become more difficult to obtain and also quite expensive compared to brands like Decor and Systema. I have a number of these tubs and use them for everything from incubation tubs to hatchling enclosures.

What is the definition of 'outgrown' in this case?

I currently have a 4 month old Woma python, which has been in a click-clack for the past two weeks, and I intended to open the lid and let the snake explore the bigger enclosure this weekend.
This is my first time keeping a Python, and obviously their character and habits differ to the smaller snakes I've taken care off previously.

In the past, I placed the click-clack directly inside the set-up enclosure/ vivarium, and allowed the snake to settle in for 1~2 weeks before releasing into the larger enclosure (3~4ft), with seemingly no ill-effect on the snakes or their behaviour.
This was for Garter- and Corn-snakes (while living in Europe).

obviously it depends on the size of the snake compared to the size of the enclosure,I bought a pair of pygmy banded pythons who came in separate take away containers because they were like worms,then I put them together into a 50x30 for a couple of months, then separated again into 60x45 before they were a year old.They will eventually be in 60x60
( because they will only get to 90cm) which is adequate size for this species

when i moved my spotties from the click clacks to their forever homes i slid the lids back on the click clacks about 50 mm and taped them in place temporarily so they could use their click clacks as hides until they got used to exploring their new world, i think the comfort factor of having their click clacks there to use if they felt threatened or frightened helped to make the change over easier......... then 1 day there was no click clacks to be found so the sculpted hides were all they had and they did not seem to be in any ill moods for it. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

The whole click clack idea came about from people wanting to keep snakes in a cheaper way, by not having to spend so much money on large enclosures and so did the large plastic tub idea. It was also a way to house many snakes/hatchlings cheaply in a rack to save on heating costs by using a heat cord instead of individual lighting for each enclosure and also to save on space. These ideas probably came from people seeing it being done by large breeders both here and in America.
I personally believe keeping them in click clacks provides little to no advantage in making the snake feel more secure. As long as the enclosure is setup correctly the snake will feel secure no matter how big the enclosure is. People need to keep in mind that the snakes we buy are not wild caught. They have human contact from the day they emerge from the egg, because of this, most probably won't feel threatened by interactions with us. The only reason I use click clacks is for specific species like Green Tree Python hatchlings so that humidity can be maintained more easily.

A click clack is a great way for those new to the hobby to provide a home for their new hatchy python in which the parameters for getting them started are far narrower.

A plus in my book.

Trying to get a hatchie python started in a full size enclosure when your grasp of their behaviour/requirements is still in it's infancy could be enough to put people off.

Click clacks have their place.

I really don't understand people keeping them in click clacks long term,fine for hatchies .
I like to give all my reptiles something close to real life,obviously this wont happen in captivity but I offer the best I can to replicate life in the wild to stimulate them.

I have kept a snake in a tub long term, that is because as a 2 yr old (well almost 2 and a half now) he is only about 750gms
And has never been a good feeder he still easily fits in a tub and is much comfier and less stressed there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have kept a snake in a tub long term, that is because as a 2 yr old (well almost 2 and a half now) he is only about 750gms
And has never been a good feeder he still easily fits in a tub and is much comfier and less stressed there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have no problem with tiny/difficult snakes in tubs,I was more having a go at people who keep adult Darwins or Jungles or Bredlis etc. in click clacks & tubs

My 2c worth of opinion:
Everybody here is talking about tubs, clik-claks, etc., because it's easy to keep clean. There is nothing wrong with it.
However, if you want to watch your snake behaving naturally and learn something about snake's behaviour, you can accommodate your snake in large enclosure AS LONG AS it's appropriately landscaped. Juveniles are cryptic by nature, so give him a lot of places to hide and lots of "nature" to explore. It takes time to set up and maintain but the rewards are great - you will actually learn and enjoy something other than just seeing your snake grow. Worth the effort?

cheers
Michael

R4306.jpg

My 2c worth of opinion:
Everybody here is talking about tubs, clik-claks, etc., because it's easy to keep clean. There is nothing wrong with it.
However, if you want to watch your snake behaving naturally and learn something about snake's behaviour, you can accommodate your snake in large enclosure AS LONG AS it's appropriately landscaped. Juveniles are cryptic by nature, so give him a lot of places to hide and lots of "nature" to explore. It takes time to set up and maintain but the rewards are great - you will actually learn and enjoy something other than just seeing your snake grow. Worth the effort?

cheers
Michael

View attachment 320706

Well said!!

Waterrat,
That is a gorgeous habitat in the photo.I love to see reptiles set up with natural substrate so they can feel different textures and also enjoy scents and performing natural behaviours like digging.Great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back