Buying Poss Hets... Worth It?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Badly bred dogs are generally caused my human desire to create unnatural characteristics of appearance that are not healthy. They are the result of deliberate line breeding of these unhealthy characteristics.

Jags are not a natural mutation, they are a genetic fault and to continue to breed defective animals should be illegal.
Australian pythons, while genetically almost identical within their species types have evolved differently in appearance, size and behaviour to suit their local environment, often isolated for millennia by geographic features. It is possible to line breed selected characteristics and produce fabulous looking animals that are still healthy and pure to type. I do not see a problem with selective breeding to produce for example better black & gold or black and white jungles and it is possible to breed reduced pattern animals that look like jags without the health problems.

I do not see the logic in cross breeds and it is already apparent that most mixed pythons are worth less than the well bred pure types. I have resisted the temptation to prove my Julatten jungles axanthic by outcrossing as it will produce mongrels.
Albinos are a natural mutation and are healthy and viable except for sensitivity to UV and lack of camouflage which may shorten their life in the wild. There are lots of examples of albino mammals even whales that seem to live long lives and of course humans. Albino darwins can be selectively bred to produce a wide variety of patterns and subtle colours without crossing with jags.

Jags are not a natural mutation, they are a genetic fault and to continue to breed defective animals should be illegal.
Isn't it just the Jungle Jags that have the neuro defect? If so then the original Coastal Jags are not a gentic fault but rather a line bred python, bred for patterning characteristics.

Isn't it just the Jungle Jags that have the neuro defect? If so then the original Coastal Jags are not a gentic fault but rather a line bred python, bred for patterning characteristics.

No all jags can exhibit neuro no matter the dominant % of species

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reduced pattern coastals were bred but unfortunately jag genetics that originated in smuggled animals were mixed with a lot of them and now it's hard to tell what they are. All my darwins can be traced back to wild caught animals bred with the original Blondie. The reduced pattern darwins in these photos are not jags, they are pure and the result of selective breeding with a bit of luck throwing occasional nuggets. There are better ones than these bred by others. DSCN5947.jpg IMG_2020.jpg IMG_4046.jpg

Aren't inbreeding and line breeding one and the same?

Yes. Although it is referred as "line-breeding" when related animals are bred together for the purpose of emphasizing particular traits.

Albinos are a natural mutation and are healthy and viable except for sensitivity to UV and lack of camouflage which may shorten their life in the wild.

Mutations are neither natural or unnatural. They're random. They just happen. Whether they benefit the animal that has received them is a different matter.

Last edited:
How did the topic turn from buying hets to line breeding, inbreeding, mutations and jags?

Rough scaled pythons are confined to very small areas and must be very inbred and what about populations of snakes on small islands, some of these have been extensively studied and are very healthy, probably evolving their distinctive characteristics over millions of years.

Hi looking at getting my first RSP, and still doing my research.

Re: your quote above, does this leave RSP's susceptible to any health issues or genetic weaknesses.

Hi looking at getting my first RSP, and still doing my research.

Re: your quote above, does this leave RSP's susceptible to any health issues or genetic weaknesses.
No Lanea they seem to be very robust and healthy. Reptiles seem to be ok with in-breeding with many distinct island populations successful. Any faulty genes like Jags etc would probably not be viable and hence not be inherited in the population. Even in mainland populations there is a lot of in-breeding due to the large number of eggs in a clutch and the young staying in the area.

No Lanea they seem to be very robust and healthy. Reptiles seem to be ok with in-breeding with many distinct island populations successful. Any faulty genes like Jags etc would probably not be viable and hence not be inherited in the population. Even in mainland populations there is a lot of in-breeding due to the large number of eggs in a clutch and the young staying in the area.

Thanks, I appreciate this. So unlike (example) dogs that have distinct sought after features by human led inbreeding, then suffer heart or arthritic conditions, or other, some snakes due to smaller locale / community are naturally inbred and unaffected...

Thinking of purchasing a poss het axanthic hatchie...
Is it worth it?
Are poss hets worth it for any morph in your opinions??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm proving my male coastal out this season, I'll hopefully have hets, visuals, and caramel hets. I will also have some yearlings (caramel hets) from last season. look me up in december / January

If you have an axanthic to breed it to the worst you get 100% hets

I have a question. Do people that breed 66 het x 66 het and not get a visual then label those offspring possible hets once again given the chance of them being 50% hets? That not right imo unless the breeder fully explains it and they are sold at wild type price.
[doublepost=1524539289,1524539074][/doublepost]And not one good thing to say about the jags. Good ole aps

I have a question. Do people that breed 66 het x 66 het and not get a visual then label those offspring possible hets once again given the chance of them being 50% hets? That not right imo unless the breeder fully explains it and they are sold at wild type price.

I think in most cases the offspring from such a pairing would be sold at a price reflecting face value. It would be unfair to call offspring from such a pairing 50% het as there might be no axanthic genetics in either animal.
Personally I wouldn't bother wasting my time/effort breeding 2 possible hets together unless they had complimenting visual traits.

Why is it frowned upon to breed and sell snakes? If you put in the time, money and effort to feed, breed and hatch snakes, what's so bad about selling them for a decent price? I plan on hatching 6 or 7 clutches this year, and selling most of the offspring. Some of the pairings will be morphs that will go for a higher price. I don't think I'll ever get rich off snakes, but it would be nice making some income from doing what I love to do. And I don't think anyone would bother breeding snakes if they didn't genuinely love the animals, there's a lot of other (easier, faster, and less bitey) ways to make money.

Why is it frowned upon to breed and sell snakes? If you put in the time, money and effort to feed, breed and hatch snakes, what's so bad about selling them for a decent price? I plan on hatching 6 or 7 clutches this year, and selling most of the offspring. Some of the pairings will be morphs that will go for a higher price. I don't think I'll ever get rich off snakes, but it would be nice making some income from doing what I love to do. And I don't think anyone would bother breeding snakes if they didn't genuinely love the animals, there's a lot of other (easier, faster, and less bitey) ways to make money.

Its not frowned upon its just that the ethics of some people are a bit messed up and that has an impact upon peoples opinions of breeders as a whole. Without breeders there would be no hobby.

Cheers Paul. I got a pair of poss hets and was just wondering about it. Yeah I’d only sell them as children’s if they don’t prove out and if I even breed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back