Nsw Licence System Update News

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpottedPythons

Reaction score
The NSW Native Animal Keeper licencing system is due to be updated in August, and so far there hasn't been a lot of info coming out about the updates. Here's what I know so far:
  • The AHS is pushing for some R1 species like bluies, beardies and most commonly kept snakes to be taken off licence
  • There has been some debate about removing licences as some keepers believe unscrupulous people will began to capture reptiles from the wild
  • The general consensus is that several R2 species (the ones rare in captivity 30 years ago) such as rough-scaled pythons and scrubbies will be now R1 or off licence.
  • There will be new species added to the list
  • The birds, amphibs and mammals lists will also be updated
That's all the info I know so far, if you know anything more, please post! :) I will add updates regularly :D

Taking scrubbies off license would seem odd given how many people get things like coastals and then end up afraid of them.

I love me a good scrubby, but it seems like an invite for a US state of affairs of buying a large species then realising... Oh hang on... This is a large species! They're obviously not hugely common now but that can quickly change.

Overall though yes great to see updates being made.
It has always puzzled me it's easier to keep invasive pests as pets than natives.

Ugh I really don't like the idea of loosing the licensing system for R1 species...
I feel like all hell will break loose
Don't worry, not all R1s are going to go off licence, it's just the common ones like carpet pythons, antaresia and certain skinks/dragons.

Taking scrubbies off license would seem odd given how many people get things like coastals and then end up afraid of them.

I love me a good scrubby, but it seems like an invite for a US state of affairs of buying a large species then realising... Oh hang on... This is a large species! They're obviously not hugely common now but that can quickly change.
I think scrubbies will probably still be on licence, but fingers crossed roughies aren't! And on keeping invasive pests, did you know you can keep a fox or a dingo in NSW without any sort of licence? :O It's outrageous how the government allows you to do that and still surround the hugely misunderstood reptiles with restrictive legisation. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think scrubbies will probably still be on licence, but fingers crossed roughies aren't! And on keeping invasive pests, did you know you can keep a fox or a dingo in NSW without any sort of licence? :O It's outrageous how the government allows you to do that and still surround the hugely misunderstood reptiles with restrictive legisation. :mad:

You can't keep foxes in nsw as they are labelled as pest species due to law changes 18 mths ago
Any that where pets before the law changes where allowed to stay as pets until they passed away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't keep foxes in nsw as they are labelled as pest species due to law changes 18 mths ago
Any that where pets before the law changes where allowed to stay as pets until they passed away
Can still keep dingoes, rats and mice though... and sorry to you cat lovers out there, but it really pisses me off how many natives get killed every year because irresponsible owners don't keep them in at night. :(

Can still keep dingoes, rats and mice though... and sorry to you cat lovers out there, but it really pisses me off how many natives get killed every year because irresponsible owners don't keep them in at night. :(

Yup I agree
Hence why I'm a responsible cat owner and my 2 pets live completely inside :)

I don't see an issue with owning dingoes as long as people understand they vary from normal dogs

Yup I agree
Hence why I'm a responsible cat owner and my 2 pets live completely inside :)

I don't see an issue with owning dingoes as long as people understand they vary from normal dogs
Don't have a problem with cats as long as they're indoor :)
But the difficulty is most people who get a dingo don't understand how different they are, they think it's just a cool breed. And several organisations out there aren't helping, they actually PROMOTE the keeping of dingoes in suburban areas!!!! :eek:

Don't have a problem with cats as long as they're indoor :)
But the difficulty is most people who get a dingo don't understand how different they are, they think it's just a cool breed. And several organisations out there aren't helping, they actually PROMOTE the keeping of dingoes in suburban areas!!!! :eek:

100% I'm a zookeeper and from the dingos I've worked with I would never agree with keeping them as household pets they can climb everything hahahaa I've heard stories of people finding there dingos on top of cupboards etc haha

100% I'm a zookeeper and from the dingos I've worked with I would never agree with keeping them as household pets they can climb everything hahahaa I've heard stories of people finding there dingos on top of cupboards etc haha
And they would probably drive the neighbours bonkers what with their howling... :D And according to Michael Tate at the Aust. Reptile Park they kill everything entering their enclosure after dark. :eek:

I was told by a major pet store that R1 will be deleted but the thing I don't understand is if they do away with R1 how do you get your 2 years experience to graduate to R2?
Not a problem for me as I already have R2 but what about new people trying to upgrade?

I was told by a major pet store that R1 will be deleted but the thing I don't understand is if they do away with R1 how do you get your 2 years experience to graduate to R2?
Not a problem for me as I already have R2 but what about new people trying to upgrade?

****... good point I might start the upgrade process then

Guys, some of the more advanced R1 are still going to be on licence. The R1 isn't going to be deleted, but rather some of the R2 moved into the R1. You'll still have a R1 list, just with some of the current R2 in it. Think of it as going down a notch - commonly kept species in R1 might be taken off licence and several of the R2 will become R1. Same system, different list! :)

Guys, some of the more advanced R1 are still going to be on licence. The R1 isn't going to be deleted, but rather some of the R2 moved into the R1. You'll still have a R1 list, just with some of the current R2 in it. Think of it as going down a notch - commonly kept species in R1 might be taken off licence and several of the R2 will become R1. Same system, different list! :)
it's about time they showed some common sense;we have eastern,western and northern blue tongues... they all have similar food/ lifestyle/environment requirements but on different license?? none of them are rare or hard to keep so WTF?

I have been trying to upgrade for 2 months this would explain the delay. They have now told me after contacting them for a third time that all upgrades are on hold until July but probably won't be processed now until August, they couldn't give me an exact time frame. I guess this is why. It seems ridiculous though to have to wait this long to upgrade. I should have done it last year but had no intention of keeping R2 species until now.
I can see why some people buy and sell off license when they make it such a long hard process just to pay the fee and then if you contact them they're little to no help. Guess I'll be waiting a while yet for them to actually do anything about it. They also mentioned there's alot of applications ahead of mine too so God knows how long they've been holding them for and not processing any.

If you currently hold an R1, when they change the system you'll be able to keep some R2s because some of the current R2s are going to become R1.

Kind of hoping that's the case. Then I can cancel the application and the money they would have got from me they will no longer. Will wait to see if what I want to hold moves to R1.
It still seems a bit silly to hold onto the applications for so many months without processing them until after this time.

I have been trying to upgrade for 2 months this would explain the delay. They have now told me after contacting them for a third time that all upgrades are on hold until July but probably won't be processed now until August, they couldn't give me an exact time frame. I guess this is why. It seems ridiculous though to have to wait this long to upgrade. I should have done it last year but had no intention of keeping R2 species until now.
I can see why some people buy and sell off license when they make it such a long hard process just to pay the fee and then if you contact them they're little to no help. Guess I'll be waiting a while yet for them to actually do anything about it. They also mentioned there's alot of applications ahead of mine too so God knows how long they've been holding them for and not processing any.
Apparently there is only 1 person who deals with upgrades for the whole state ,this is why it takes so long for upgrades to be approved,mine took about 3 months when I did it a few years ago

They told me it was all on hold and has been for a few months. They could have been processing and getting more funds in that time. But hopefully it will save me some cash if the things I'm after drop down to R1 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back