Newbie From Qld

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RickB

Not so new Member
Reaction score
G'day everyone.
I am very new to the hobby and need to get some info on keeping a Coastal Carpet Python.
I live in South east Qld so the temperature variations are not too extreme compared to our southern neighbours.
As said above I have a Coastal Carpet Python, about 55cm long, sex unknown (at this time).
I keep it in a click clack for now and will soon make a larger Terrarium to house my snake, probably use 12mm ply and seal all internal surfaces. Would I be better off making an intermediate Terrarium and a larger one in about 12 months an my snake grows bigger?
After doing some reading here I see posts about getting items like heat cords, thermostats, heat guns, IR lights and so on.
Questions - How to work out what temp range for thermostats heat cords and heat guns? Wattage for IR Lights?
Thanks for any assistance or tips from our members

Hi there welcome!

Coastals are a great starting choice!
I'm not sure what others would say, but you can honestly put a snake of any size (preferably at least 12months) into the full enclosure as long as you provide a lot of hides and remove some as they get older till you only have 1 or 2 left!

If you can make a medium enclosure, you can, but if let's say.. budget is tight, you can build a smaller one then larger one in 2 years, or you can place into the larger one with lots of hides (I mean lots, like 10-15 even more!)

Regarding heat temps

The warm end should be around 32-34 a little lower doesn't hurt if for whatever reason it's not going up to 32-34 (if it sticks at 29-31 etc) it is winter after all, a bit colder :p

That's the warm end, the other end should be around 20+

Wattages regarding lights really depend on the setup, I think most people use CHE these days (ceramic heat emitters)
But yea, depends how far their basking Log is from the light (assuming we are talking about using a lamp in the larger tank)

If you haven't I recommend picking up a copy of "keeping and breeding Australian pythons -Mike Swan"

Welcome to APS!
A python can go into a full sized enclosure when it has outgrown its click clack/tub. You don't need to build an intermediate one. As Bl69aze said, put plenty of hides in; make sure they are spread out over the different temps in the tank. The setup of heat is entirely up to you. Overhead heat is better, but some people provide a mix of overhead and ground heat, especially in a tall enclosure.
Coastals like to climb, so a taller enclosure is better. Overhead heat can be provided with a ceramic heat emitter, heat globe, or heat panel. You can also provide heat either on the floor with a heat mat or cord (probably not necessary in QLD), or a basking ledge with a heat cord under it. A thermostat will help regulate the heat in the enclosure. Unless you are building the Taj Mahal, a 100w CHE should heat a tall enclosure enough, with a good heat gradient. You can pick up an IR heat gun on Ebay that will do the job of accurately measuring the heat.

Hi there welcome!

Coastals are a great starting choice!
I'm not sure what others would say, but you can honestly put a snake of any size (preferably at least 12months) into the full enclosure as long as you provide a lot of hides and remove some as they get older till you only have 1 or 2 left!

If you can make a medium enclosure, you can, but if let's say.. budget is tight, you can build a smaller one then larger one in 2 years, or you can place into the larger one with lots of hides (I mean lots, like 10-15 even more!)

Regarding heat temps

The warm end should be around 32-34 a little lower doesn't hurt if for whatever reason it's not going up to 32-34 (if it sticks at 29-31 etc) it is winter after all, a bit colder :p

That's the warm end, the other end should be around 20+

Wattages regarding lights really depend on the setup, I think most people use CHE these days (ceramic heat emitters)
But yea, depends how far their basking Log is from the light (assuming we are talking about using a lamp in the larger tank)

If you haven't I recommend picking up a copy of "keeping and breeding Australian pythons -Mike Swan"

Thanks for the great info BI69aze. I will definitely be getting Mike Swans book in the next few weeks.
I think enclosure wise I will just build one and provide plenty of hides as you suggested.
Getting some prices together now for the building materials and other associated items - CHE Light, thermostat, heat gun etc
Cheers for now

Welcome to APS!
A python can go into a full sized enclosure when it has outgrown its click clack/tub. You don't need to build an intermediate one. As Bl69aze said, put plenty of hides in; make sure they are spread out over the different temps in the tank. The setup of heat is entirely up to you. Overhead heat is better, but some people provide a mix of overhead and ground heat, especially in a tall enclosure.
Coastals like to climb, so a taller enclosure is better. Overhead heat can be provided with a ceramic heat emitter, heat globe, or heat panel. You can also provide heat either on the floor with a heat mat or cord (probably not necessary in QLD), or a basking ledge with a heat cord under it. A thermostat will help regulate the heat in the enclosure. Unless you are building the Taj Mahal, a 100w CHE should heat a tall enclosure enough, with a good heat gradient. You can pick up an IR heat gun on Ebay that will do the job of accurately measuring the heat.

More great helpful tips, thanks pinefamily.
Sourcing prices and availability for items needed now.
Just need to work out how big is best for my coastal to be at its best.
Best to check some of the build threads maybe?
Cheers for now

A good size for a coastal, if you are building it yourself, is 1200 high, 500-600 deep, 1000 wide. You could go a little smaller on the width, but personally I'd give it a bit of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back