Birds!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero Egernia

Reaction score
Anyone keep and breed birds either for consumption or simply pleasure?

I keep quail mostly for myself and the reptiles. Despite this they're a pleasure to keep. They have many endearing qualities.

quails3aps.jpg
quailsaps.jpg
quailssaps.jpg
quails2aps.jpg

I also have a trio of Pilgrim Geese. The original pair I've had for over six years ever since they were little goslings. The third goose is one of their daughters that I decided to keep. I don't have any recent photos of them but I did manage to dig these up.

402102_102451446572274_546929106_n.jpg

My female and male when I first acquired them.

Amelia2.jpg

All grown up.

I also hatch and brood poultry for friends and family. They're not reptiles, but hey, they lay eggs and do have scales on their legs!

Lovely birds! I particularly love the geese!

I had the most beautiful red tail black who was my baby. Despite being a typical grumpy hormonal male cockatoo who would happily attack other people. It was a pain but he was my kid before kids, you know?

It's been almost a year since I lost him to a dog managing to break into his large aviary. Cannot believe it happened. Has been devostating.

I'm finally giving birds another shot with the hope of healing the wound a bit.
I have two emu chick's arriving in 2 or 3 weeks, just waiting on the hatch.
They'll be pets, not food lol.
Will post photos when they arrive.

I look forward to them getting to eat all the produce from the fruit trees rather than the stupid English black birds haha.

I LOVE QUAIL!!!! I have 3, 2 King and 1 Japanese all living together, for egg purposes. I also have 7 Society Finches, one of which is tame, and a hand raised Quaker Parrot.

I mean, I breed budgies... My grandfather breeds princess parrots and major mitchell cockatoos but, and they're quite pretty.
I also have a musked lorikeet, a cockatiel and a red rumped grass parrot.

My wife has an eclectus parrot; I say my wife because the parrot hates me, lol. We also have two Indian ringnecks, a rescue moustache parrot, and a cockatiel. I'm in the process of building a chook house at the moment, and I'd love to get quails again down the track.

Sorry to hear about your red tail, Vampstorso. :(

I used to breed red tailed blacks, a lot of work but very rewarding hand raising the chicks. I still have a few plus my beloved yellowtail that was hand raised from the egg and is now my avatar.
Photos of a baby Magnificus red tail feeding itself with a spoon, they could eat out of the bowl but use the spoon because thats how you feed them.DSCN0839.jpg DSCN0829.jpg

No, actually it's a male. He tolerates me, but will bite if he's on my hand or arm for any longer than a few minutes. Also has a habit of attacking my feet when I'm in the kitchen.
We did get a female so he had company, but he kept attacking her, so rather than stress her out too much, we sold her sadly. She was actually better with me funnily enough.

No, actually it's a male. He tolerates me, but will bite if he's on my hand or arm for any longer than a few minutes. Also has a habit of attacking my feet when I'm in the kitchen.
We did get a female so he had company, but he kept attacking her, so rather than stress her out too much, we sold her sadly. She was actually better with me funnily enough.

I did the same for my boy with the same outcome... The downside to imprinted parrots I guess.

Ahhh well, something about surly parrot personalities are charming :p

Great of you to accept it, my partner isn't so tolerant lol

Has anyone else here just realised they keep animals from all members of the vertabrate families? Mammals... Birds... Fish... and of course, reptiles... :)

Feeders don't count, otherwise I'd have probably tens of thousands of woodies and crickets.

Has anyone else here just realised they keep animals from all members of the vertabrate families? Mammals... Birds... Fish... and of course, reptiles... :)
Yeh a few parrots. My missus has always had a fear of birds so one day i decided to help her by bringing home eclectus parrots. No better way than facing the fear head on[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeh a few parrots. My missus has always had a fear of birds so one day i decided to help her by bringing home eclectus parrots. No better way than facing the fear head on[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Bet she loved you for that... :)

My cockatiel died this morning :( went to uncover her and there she was, she was fine the night before
She was 13 :c

Fly high lil birdy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back