Where Do You Get Your Reptiles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find gumtree is ok for selling cheaper snakes but nothing else.
And tbh I haven't sold a single animal on this site in 2 years as a subscriber.

Yeah I never use gumtree... Never find what I'm looking for, and if I do, its always over priced

Waterrat thats easy for you and I who know a lot of breeders but those newer to the hobby don't know who breeds what and where. They search on line and think the whole hobby revolves around designer pythons and K brothers on YouTube. My suggestion for a Breeders Directory will make it easier for them to find reputable sources of quality animals.

I would like to know what people are planning to breed to help make some decisions on what will be available to buy. You hardly ever see adverts for water pythons these days.... have people just stopped breeding them, I know Ken Wooley used but he sold off his waters before I was ready to buy.

I am with you on that,my point was, every (even half serious) person entering this hobby should make up their mind on what the want to acquire and keep because with that come years of responsibility. The next step would be to research the animals requirements, etc.. Finding a reputable breeder (of chosen species) is the final step. JMO
I cringe when I read posts like "what should be my next reptile?" or "lets see what I can buy at the Expo".

Would you agree?

I agree 100% and I spend a lot of time trying to help when I become aware of people planning to acquire a reptile but a lot do it on impulse, pet shops selling reptiles can be a problem here. I won't sell a snake unless I am comfortable that the purchaser knows what they are doing and has the appropriate setup, it must be difficult for you selling GTP's. Even then I have spent hours on the phone assisting with issues that would not come up if more research had been done and a few books read. Birds can be worse, how many people impulse buy expensive birds like Macaws and Eckies because they will look good on their deck not realising that they form intense bonds with their owners and may outlive them.

I am with you on that,my point was, every (even half serious) person entering this hobby should make up their mind on what the want to acquire and keep because with that come years of responsibility. The next step would be to research the animals requirements, etc.. Finding a reputable breeder (of chosen species) is the final step. JMO
I cringe when I read posts like "what should be my next reptile?" or "lets see what I can buy at the Expo".

Would you agree?
I know what you mean, but I wasn't asking what my next reptile should be. Like yellow tail said, people newer to the hobby don't know people who breed what they are after. My question was where do you get your reptiles. I know what I am getting, but I do not know where to get it, that is why I asked. So I would have a larger array of options to find a breeder of what I am after.

Then why don't you say what you're after? People could help you with straight directions.

I'm not here to argue man. I asked a question, and kind and experienced people were happy to answer.

Cool. I will refrain from posting here in the future, or at least until I gain some experience.

Last edited:
A little further advice to anyone that may put their details up on a register if it goes ahead. Do not make your email publicly visible.

I did and got spammed by Chinese manufacturers on a number of things including wire mesh because I had mentioned it in a forum post.

Cool. I will refrain from posting here in the future, or at least until I gain some experience.

Three hours certainly didn't improve the quality of your post Michael.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think there seem to be enough members showing their hatchlings off from time to time.
They are probably going to sell some sooner or later.
Why not just send a PM to the member and ask about selling prices.
That way the breeder gets to screen enquiries better with less harassment.
Surely this would be better than a breeders register that is open to all sorts of problems.

Just my 2 cents worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back