Weird Eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl69aze

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
so I have my Darwin python, first feed was fine.

2nd and 3rd feed were strange

She bites the item fine then sort of goes to wrap around it but then she is like "nah"

I even try wiggling the food but to no success

She ends up eating which is great but just never seen this before

I'm assuming the food is too small (buts it what I was told to feed her) and will move to hoppers after this pk.

Anyone else have this?

I'll upload a video of her dragging her food into her hide a minute or 2 after taking the bite.

Last edited:
Might be the food size but it might just be a sign that the animal knows the food item is dead. Not much point flogging a dead horse is there?

Might be the food size but it might just be a sign that the animal knows the food item is dead. Not much point flogging a dead horse is there?

I doubt she "knows its already dead" i had to wiggle it around a little bit to get her interested at the start, as i said she goes to wrap herself around and halfway she just stops, i can feel her grip getting tighter when i wiggle it in her mouth

its most likely the food size :L

ps. uploaded video :)

Mouse is way too small. Some behave that way when they are not hungry or coming into shed.

I noticed it was too small from 2nd feed, I'm feeding 7 days apart trying to get rid of pack asap

Should I do 2 a week from now on till I empty the packet? I heard multiple small feeds is bad for their mouth

Your albino expects to get a mouthful of skin and fur with a bit of substance to it's prey like flesh and bones that are almost nonexistent in pinky mice/rats. We feed baby mice to them because it is convenient for us but in the wild there are no pink baby rodents wandering around, they eat lizards, frogs that have a developed skeleton and firm skin not to mention the nutritional value of the developed internal organs etc.
One larger mouse is much better than several small ones, buy some larger ones and use the ones you have as a follow up immediately after while the python is in feeding mode.

Your albino expects to get a mouthful of skin and fur with a bit of substance to it's prey like flesh and bones that are almost nonexistent in pinky mice/rats. We feed baby mice to them because it is convenient for us but in the wild there are no pink baby rodents wandering around, they eat lizards, frogs that have a developed skeleton and firm skin not to mention the nutritional value of the developed internal organs etc.
One larger mouse is much better than several small ones, buy some larger ones and use the ones you have as a follow up immediately after while the python is in feeding mode.
Wow thanks :)

I always enjoy your tips and knowledge and explaining stuff

And that's a good idea of larger and smaller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back