Birds!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U couldn't even begin to imagine how popular i was because I also don't believe in clipping wings. I let my birds fly around the house. However she loves him now some nights he sleeps on her pillow and I'm on the couch

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Well, it looks like his birdie charm has won over your significant other... :D My quaker sleeps in her feeding box, with her stockpile of food... :) She's a sweetie (I'm her favourite), always attacks strangers for me! (a.k.a friends and family)

Last edited:
And here's Ellie!!!
ellie-logo_3.jpg

I used to keep budgies,finches and stubble quail.Then we had a galah for over 20 years,nowadays I have a pair of Australorps,great for eating scraps and supplying lovely eggs.
My birdies just multiplied!!! And now we have a breeding pair of King Quail... anyone want some eggs? :) These are some finches that bred... one of them has been successfully tamed and is an ace at step-up practice! (There were 6 eggs, all hatched but one died after so now we have only 5 young finches that look nothing like babies anymore!)
finch-baby-2.jpg

U couldn't even begin to imagine how popular i was because I also don't believe in clipping wings. I let my birds fly around the house. However she loves him now some nights he sleeps on her pillow and I'm on the couch

Isn't wing clipping just awful, so misguided.
I took my cockatoo to the vet when I first got him. I was 17 and not experienced enough to know never let a vet take your animal into another room. When he came back he had cut my boys wings all the way up to the muscle. All primaries and secondaries gone! I was MORTIFIED! he was acting like he did me a favour and wanted $55 for the pleasure!

It took a year for his next moult of course and no one got hear his beautiful wings again!

Some favourite baby photos of those glorious wings

HarveyWings_zps77fdcf23.jpg HarveyWings2_zpse900b3cc.jpg HarveyWings4_zps54f58b9d.jpg

And just for good measure,
His girlfriends wings

gettingthere2_zps6b2f54e7.jpg

Loved watching them fly inside and even more once they had their aviary.

Isn't wing clipping just awful, so misguided.
I took my cockatoo to the vet when I first got him. I was 17 and not experienced enough to know never let a vet take your animal into another room. When he came back he had cut my boys wings all the way up to the muscle. All primaries and secondaries gone! I was MORTIFIED! he was acting like he did me a favour and wanted $55 for the pleasure!

It took a year for his next moult of course and no one got hear his beautiful wings again!

Some favourite baby photos of those glorious wings

View attachment 320955 View attachment 320956 View attachment 320957

And just for good measure,
His girlfriends wings

View attachment 320958

Loved watching them fly inside and even more once they had their aviary.
I couldn't agree more it makes no sense.
Would u cut the legs of your dog. NOPE.
So y cut the wings on a bird. This is my little[emoji90] DEXTER.
ec199ad219fc79c7d3279927c31bdde2.jpg

I occasionally had my cockatiels wings clipped every 6months

They cut different feathers that have same effect but also grow back over time

One time she decided to fly off and sit with the other birds they had there up nice and high that they needed a ladder for :')

We got our Quaker wing-clipped the first time we got her, but even though it was a perfect trim, we soon found out that NOTHING stops the Quaker Parrot Flying Machine. The cheeky little bugger still winged her way around the house, so we just let her feathers grow back. Now she just follows us around.
ellie-on-chair.jpg

We got our Quaker wing-clipped the first time we got her, but even though it was a perfect trim, we soon found out that NOTHING stops the Quaker Parrot Flying Machine. The cheeky little bugger still winged her way around the house, so we just let her feathers grow back. Now she just follows us around.
ellie-on-chair.jpg
She's actually moulting in the picture.

We found the King Parrots quickly adjusted to trimmed wings by flaring their tail to get more lift. I was advised it was better to trim one wing which put them off balance. Better to have them in an escape proof environment or train them not to fly away.

Wing clipping either still allows them to fly, just not well. So if they escape they can still get away from you, but not flying well enough without getting exhausted so fast they can't escape predators/danger.

Or they're clipped so heavily they drop like a rock and can break their keel bone/not get out of the way of feet etc on the floor quickly if someone forgets about them, and the predator issue again.

Their entire cardiovascular system is also designed for flight.
In some countries wing clipping is actually illegal.

If you want to take your bird outside for some reason, you're better off training it to use the aviator harness. (not Jesse's... Parrots don't have the muscular weight bearing legs of a bird of prey)
They're also prey animals, unlike birds of prey who you see videos of free flying, so are more likely to revert to the primal instinct of flight vs fight if scared, no matter how bonded to you they are. After all, in nature their partner would also fly away.

Birds who have clipped wings from birth or an extended period may end up with too little muscle to be able to fly. Which is sad.

My quaker is TERRIFIED of anything new, so there's the harness idea out the window... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back