Reptiles down under

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wont lie guys and gals, I am looking options on where I can fill the gap left by RDU but I also know I could never replace them. There are a few options I have played with over the past week (and a few $$ spent), but I havent found something that I think is suitable or has worth..

Ill keep looking but if there are any volunteers who want to help offer suggestions or help set something up if I provide the groundwork and the foundation, I wouldnt say no.

Lots to think about though in what people want vs costs etc as I wouldnt like to have 2 paying sites as that defeats the purpose of why I picked up APS in the first place, however I imagine it would pan out over time.

Stu

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 4.51.01 PM.png
I wont lie guys and gals, I am looking options on where I can fill the gap left by RDU but I also know I could never replace them. There are a few options I have played with over the past week (and a few $$ spent), but I havent found something that I think is suitable or has worth..

Ill keep looking but if there are any volunteers who want to help offer suggestions or help set something up if I provide the groundwork and the foundation, I wouldnt say no.

Lots to think about though in what people want vs costs etc as I wouldnt like to have 2 paying sites as that defeats the purpose of why I picked up APS in the first place, however I imagine it would pan out over time.

Stu
RDU worked because it was the obvious goto advertising site with thousands of adds and thousands of buyers, I could put up a featured add for $10 and within a few days hundreds of people had viewed it and I had several serious enquiries.
The site was simple and your eye catching photo and add heading were visible as soon as someone entered the site, one click and the potential buyer could see your period of membership, previous adds and see any positive feedback/references.
To get the volume of adds they have to be free but the paid for priority positioned feature could be developed more. I could easily justify $10 a week for featured adds, I just had to sell one $500 hatchling to pay for a years priority adds. I sold over 80 hatchlings on RDU in the last 8 mths, all at my relatively high advertised prices. I tried all the other sites and never sold anything and AP adds seem to get no response until the seller gets desperate and halves the price.
Reptileclassifieds.com.au has a similar structure but very few recent adds. (there were 13 for July last time I looked)
A couple onscreen shots of my adds enclosed.

Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 7.08.41 PM.png

AP adds seem to get no response until the seller gets desperate and halves the price.
I'm not sure the exact reason but the for sale ads here there isn't an option to publicly respond to these ads and instead says - You have insufficient privileges to reply here-
Im guessing the reasons are -I'm not yet a paid member plus it reduces chit chat and therefore keeps the subject at the forefront.

Just a suggestion? !
Could the sale thread OP maybe have a little more control on the ad. In that I mean allow all signed members to reply publicly but be able to clear messages as needed? Is this a thing already Or is this deemed unnecessary and be left to a PM or other contact details?
I know that allowing anyone to respond could be more work for sellers by way of lots of window shoppers but if there's interest shown it could coax that one person hanging back to jump in and buy? ?
Maybe?

Last edited:
I'm not sure the exact reason but the for sale ads here there isn't an option to publicly respond to these ads and instead says - You have insufficient privileges to reply here-
Im guessing the reasons are -I'm not yet a paid member plus it reduces chit chat and therefore keeps the subject at the forefront.

Just a suggestion? !
Could the sale thread OP maybe have a little more control on the ad. In that I mean allow all signed members to reply publicly but be able to clear messages as needed? Is this a thing already Or is this deemed unnecessary and be left to a PM or other contact details?
I know that allowing anyone to respond could be more work for sellers by way of lots of window shoppers but if there's interest shown it could coax that one person hanging back to jump in and buy? ?
Maybe?
That is the way it was on here many years ago and the ads got filled with endless questions that clogged up the for sale section and made a mess of the ads. I think pm is the best way to have it or if the seller choses to include their number for contact.
The problem lies in the fact that there isn't a huge regular member base anymore which made sales on here viable back then.

One thing I have noticed is that many of the ads on here don't include a price for the reptile which I don't think is helping with peoples sales either. Maybe making it mandatory to include a price could solve this issue and make buyers more interested.

That is the way it was on here many years ago and the ads got filled with endless questions that clogged up the for sale section and made a mess of the ads. I think pm is the best way to have it or if the seller choses to include their number for contact.
The problem lies in the fact that there isn't a huge regular member base anymore which made sales on here viable back then.

One thing I have noticed is that many of the ads on here don't include a price for the reptile which I don't think is helping with peoples sales either. Maybe making it mandatory to include a price could solve this issue and make buyers more interested.

I agree its better to use PM's for questions/discussions but adding a price or not doesn't make any difference on here. (Well it hasn't on my ads) We just don't have the active numbers who are looking to buy at fair prices. As shocking as this might seem even gumtree ads do better than on here because of the active numbers.

Tracebook sorry I mean Facebook, is where most people are. I refuse to use it though due to the fact that they track and compile records on everything you say and do. Public profiling at its worst.
I prefer to keep my life and my business private.

I use Facebook with a fake name/profile. Has no friends and no posts so none of my personal info is on it but means I can join the groups and keep up with what's available. Have made many purchases there using that account.

I thought I was the only one not on Stalkbook, sorry Facebook
Another name I have for it is Crackbook because it is like a digital drug to people. They can't go an hour or two without getting their fix. I am sure there are addiction treatment centres for it.
Welcome to Facebook Anonymous, my name is....... I am addicted to Facebook.

Sure it does have its merits but when people are posting their entire life there including things like their relationship problems and what they are eating at the time (with photos) it becomes ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about Facebook for selling reptiles?
I remember "Vixen" had a very elaborate Facebook Timeline with excellent photos of her collection and hundreds of "likes" with comments like "I would kill to own one of them" but when she had to sell her snakes none of the Facebook "likers" bought any, she sold them by advertising on RDU, I bought some.

I use Facebook with a fake name/profile. Has no friends and no posts so none of my personal info is on it but means I can join the groups and keep up with what's available. Have made many purchases there using that account.

While my profile is not fake, I too use Facebook in a similar manner. I use it solely to view reptile for sale pages or to contact people. I have a few friend requests but I have ignored them for the time being. I'm not interested in people's personal lives, nor what they just had for breakfast. I was once called out for this, and some people believe my profile to be fake. Perhaps I should accept the friend requests after all?

While my profile is not fake, I too use Facebook in a similar manner. I use it solely to view reptile for sale pages or to contact people. I have a few friend requests but I have ignored them for the time being. I'm not interested in people's personal lives, nor what they just had for breakfast. I was once called out for this, and some people believe my profile to be fake. Perhaps I should accept the friend requests after all?
Mine is a version of my name but not quite... So people who know me in real life can't look me up with my name. And those I do business with on there don't ever request to be friends and I don't request them. Worked well so far.

Stu
Hey Stuart,would it be possible for you to take over RDU and somehow link it to APS so that anyone looking at ads there would automatically be directed here ? I don't pretend to understand the logistics but it seems to me that it would increase traffic here which would only be a good thing ????

I am similar,fake name/profile to promote my dragons etc. didn't want any of that fake friend rubbish.
I sell my dragons and upload reptile posts and updates to help spread the word but don't link friends or look at what they had for lunch.

Hey Stuart,would it be possible for you to take over RDU and somehow link it to APS so that anyone looking at ads there would automatically be directed here ? I don't pretend to understand the logistics but it seems to me that it would increase traffic here which would only be a good thing ????
What he could do is setup a proper market place on here then add tags to that section so when people were to search "rdu" or "reptilesdownunder" etc,
It wouldn't come up with aps new market system (that everyone (maybe 10post count req) can post on and having sponsor put their listing as permanently at the top (till sold))

Unfortunately taking over RDU and getting it stood back up is not possible without the former owners and I going through the right processes and agreements.

Thanks to those who have offered advice and assistance though. I have the weekend set aside to test and play...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back