Victorian WildLIfe Licenses, Suck.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imported_tuatara

Reaction score
i know this is a pretty known thing, but honestly.........Examples:We can keep salties, yet not freshies. We can keep inland taipans, but not other python species......Oh, and we can keep a lace monitor on a Basic wildlife license, but not any rock monitors, on even advanced......Of course, i'd like to hear others opinions on the matter, and how in other states there are similar things.

WA has strict rules? i'd think it wouldn't........but still, seeing nobody in the house likes snakes, i can't get a snake, and i'm not interested in most lizards, nor turtles, it's pretty annoying that we can barely own any monitors.....(well, none that i love when it comes to looks, lol.)but yes, i respect the rules, even if they can be pretty dumb at times.

yikes!

i dunno if they changed, but does tassie still have the rule that you can't keep any animals from the mainland? i could imagine that being dreadful.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm pretty scared of salties, seeing their massive size and all.....not so much with freshies, tho. the same can be said with perenties and lacies, just i'm more scared of lacies because they're generally much more hostile than Most perenties.

I agree that the Vic licensing system doesn't make too much sense, it's borderline frustrating some times, but i'm sure that they have their reasons, or at least did at the time of making the list. I'm just glad that it isn't as bad as WA, which by the sounds of it, seems awful lol. All state systems could use some improvement IMO.
I emailed the DEPI awhile ago inquiring about a couple of species being on the advanced and not the basic, and apparently they revise the list every 15 (?) years, so untill then we are stuck with it being the way it is.

Instead of having a go at Vic licensing regs then I'd concentrate on the vast array of reptiles that are within reach under current legislation. Believe me, you could live in worse states.

In Vic lacies are on basic, here in SA they are on advanced, yet I can walk down the road and find them along the creek in summertime. At least we can keep panoptes.

A sand monitor is a good starter in the medium size. The flavirufus subspecies have some great colouring.

yeh i've seen some flavies, but don't at all have the room for it in the house, outside it's too unpredictable, so i'm planning to have one in the shed(it's about 10x10x7) once it's cleared out, i get solar panels for it, some tables for it and other stuff, a cricket farm in there, some sort of freezer like thing to store mice, etc. just, i'm hearing different things when it comes to enclosure size, as some people say 6x3x4 is fine, etc....from your experience, what would you suggest for one male? also, wally, that was probably sarcastic, but if not, nah........i'm too young to receive a bite from a 7+ ft monitor. :p

WA has strict rules? i'd think it wouldn't........but still, seeing nobody in the house likes snakes, i can't get a snake, and i'm not interested in most lizards, nor turtles, it's pretty annoying that we can barely own any monitors.....(well, none that i love when it comes to looks, lol.)but yes, i respect the rules, even if they can be pretty dumb at times.

So you can't have a snake, don't want a lizard and not really ready for a monitor. I'm not sure the point behind this thread other than bagging Vic rules or where its going now.

actually i could easily get a ackie, i've got all things ready for one if i did ever want one, and have done all researched probably required, but i feel like i just generally don't want one...so i'm probably gonna wait and get a storr's monitor when i have a little bit more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back