Reptiles down under

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is obviously a massive hole to fill. I'd personally like APS to pick up that slack, as long as they can provide a similar service. For whatever reason, I don't think the forum-based mechanism is going to work. There's no definitive explanation why that should be, apart from history suggesting otherwise.

I also think this is a good opportunity to get everyone back to APS. Facebook obviously initially provided what people thought would be a viable alternative but it's not. With no realistic ability to search backwards in time, then it's use as an information repository is negligible. And who can keep up with 10 different variants of virtually the same thing?

I'm the first to admit that I don't come to APS as often as I used to, but I feel like it's time for it to re-establish itself. A web-based partnership with RDU would be the ideal scenario. It's inevitable that something will fill the void; let's hope it's something that actually provides the much-needed service to the greater herp community.

I'm not sure APS needs to partner with anyone. Nor does it need the headaches that come with the masses trying to sell snapping turtles.

I vividly remember the night that all hell broke loose on this forum a few years ago. Other forums were created, accusations were flung about and the end of this forum was celebrated. Funny how things turned out if you ask me.

While I agree there is probably no benefit in APS entering any type of partnership I think the points raised about the forum based sales page might have some weight.
Could it be that the future sales page for APS be a separate entity to the forum? I think the issue with the APS sales page is primarily the layout though there could be a lot of benefits from making that particular section more accessible to the masses though it would need to be self funding of course (advertising & paid ads).
Link the 2 for APS members who pay a subscription getting prime position for their ads.

I hear lots of comments about getting behind iherp.....I like the mag and I think it will take off but it is still in its infancy and needs a lot of work. Their classifieds are no better/different in design to reptile classifieds which is again not getting the traffic through the site. What made RDU so popular? I think its easy access, simple layout & search functions. APS sales for me is a bit dated (Sorry Stuart).

I guess the classufied part being worked on isnt up to par ;)

Taking all advice on board so please keep offering..

I doubt RDU will ever come back to the state of being able to participate in a partnership so its not something Ill be persuing however the other commentary has merits.

One thing I would like to clear up and reiterate too, I am NOT here to make money or a name for myself. I will happily see what I can do to fill a gap and benefit the online herp community however to those that are PMing me offering $$ to do things a specific way, promote them over someone else or ask me to ignore certain businesses, I am not interested...

If I do manage to get something suitable up, it will be for the herp community with hopefully enough to cover some fraction of the costs.

Stu

Remember where Rdu came from.

Originally it was called Australian Herp Classifieds (AHC). It was bought by the 'then' new owners of Snake Ranch (who also bought the now defunct Australian Reptile Forum ). Did they have dreams of domination of the aussie herp scene? Who knows. Wheels have fallen off now.

Maybe get in touch with the creator of the original AHC which was just as successful as rdu without the need for it to be monetized.

Cheers,
Dave.

Well, this is a shame. I was advertising my two Childreni on there, and that's why I haven't had any response from prospective buyers...the site went down!

And why should exotics have anything to do with this nonsense? Sure, the guy gets busted for smuggling, but that shouldn't mean the site goes under and we all get screwed over. Someone should have assumed control of the website, someone perhaps related to the herp scene who could have maintained the site until further notice.

I suspect it was financially viable because it gave Snake Ranch a means to advertise their animals, (the top featured adds were usually theirs) now that is all gone and there are no doubt significant costs and bills to pay to get it up again and no business to pay for it.

I have been watching the Reptile Classifieds site and there seems to be a few of the ex RDU advertisers now using it so I tried an add for the last 4 of my Julatten Jungle hatchlings on 03/09, paid the $5 for "Featured". Result 178 looks, a few good enquiries and sold them all in less than a week for $400 each, all now paid in full. Might be a fluke and I used to sell them for $500 on RDU but it gives me some confidence for next season.
Stuart, I will give APS a go with my next lot of hatchlings but just watching the lack of sales does not give me confidence and nothing to sell right now.

I've still not had any luck there. A fair few time wasters, a couple of people who don't read the ad properly and ask the questions that were answered in the ad only to find out it wasn't what they wanted anyway. Have removed my listing and will keep the animals. Hope to find a better avenue for selling in the next few months when we really need to start downsizing.

I've still not had any luck there. A fair few time wasters, a couple of people who don't read the ad properly and ask the questions that were answered in the ad only to find out it wasn't what they wanted anyway. Have removed my listing and will keep the animals. Hope to find a better avenue for selling in the next few months when we really need to start downsizing.
I found on RDU that to get sales you had to pay for a featured add and have good photos, it also helped that I had feedback references? More than half the animals I sell go interstate with the buyer paying in advance.

For those who have been thinking Reptile Classifieds site might fill the gap after RDU went under, you might like this.
I posted an ad on the site this afternoon around 2pm and at the same time I posted the same ad on a few of the fb pages I frequent.

Within 4 hours we had received several inquiries and a sale was made through fb. (Not the cheapest animals in the world I might add)
The ad we posted on Reptile Classifieds is still awaiting approval some 6hrs after it was posted.
So far I have seen nothing from that page that excites me. 4 ads, no sales, no inquiries and the most recent ad still awaiting approval after 6hrs.
(I decided to leave the ad running and see how long it takes before they approve it just for a laugh)

Interesting Paul, maybe I should try fb but I have next to no experience there. Much to my surprise my experience with Reptile Classified has been positive, my add for 4 Julattens resulted in selling all in less than a week and I have left the add there (bumped a few times) and taken $100 deposited advance orders for 5 of my next lot of hatchlings. I also ran adds for an advanced albino hatchling and a yearling darwin het (also without result on APS) and sold both quickly. I have an add running for supermice that has resulted in a few sales as well, the adds are still there if you want to look. I paid the $5 for featured and if you become a "Verified" advertiser they go up immediately, my first add took a while for approval.
Did I see your add on Herp Trader? Any luck there?

You did see one of mine on herptrader. Thought I would give it a bash and not a single inquiry there either.
I saw your add for supermice and it does seem to have had quite a bit of interest.

Back in the day this used to be the place to be before Facebook Buy and sell pages where the in now there’s bugger all hopefully aps picks back up soon

Hi All,
Any further news on this issue?
Where is everyone advertising these days?
I have noticed Facebook has now started to refuse ads listing animals for sale so I am looking for other avenues to advertise & am not having much luck finding options.

Especially if you're saying you're not in it to make money, having free classifieds on APS would be a good idea. People don't like paying for stuff when there are free alternatives, and the Facebook groups, RCA, Gumtree etc are free. Having free classifieds would increase the number of advertisers which would attract more buyers which would help grow the forum which would allow you to either just enjoy having a larger more active community, or bring in more revenue through site sponsors and paid banner type advertising.

Paid classified type advertising seems counterproductive in the current online herp scene. In my opinion, alternatives to Facebook would be very welcome. As it is, there is little incentive to pay for classifieds here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back