Yellow Spotted Monitor Temps and Thermostats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobe404

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be getting a Yellow Spotted Monitor baby in a couple of weeks. Going into a 3ft L x 2 ft D x 1.5ft H enclosure that has a fluro light and a fitting for a globe. Have a spare 75w infared lying around so probably end up using that and see how temps go. Obviously getting a higher wattage one if need be. From what I've researched, they need a basking spot between 50-70c.

I'm more wondering how do people control the temps since most thoermostats I've looked at only have a temp controlling range of 0-50c. I did find one that has a range up to 70c, but I don't think it has any variance beyond 0.1c - 1c, so the light would be going on and off all the time. So obviously it'll blow pretty quick.

Or do you more try and get the wattage just right so the temp isn't too cold or get too hot?

Thanks guys.

I'd dump the infra red and add a "bank" of halogen downlights at one end of the enclosure, aiming for a hotspot of around 50-60C and a "cool end" of around 24C, don't turn the whole enclosure into an oven, obviously, play around with wattages until you get it right and before you add the monitor. Whatever overnight heating you use will need to be on a thermostat, I use habistat PP thermos with heat panels. rather than the fluro, I use LED's. I also don't use light cages with any bulbs as monitors especially can climb them and get limbs caught in the wire, then fry. Hope this helps:).

Gimbal 35W 002 [1600x1200].JPG

custom 004.JPG

odatria cages 001.JPG

Last edited:
Like Imported_Varanus has said, the infra red globe is no good. You need to mimic the sun. You can either do as he has suggested with a bank of halogen globes, or if you already have a fitting in the tank, use a spot globe (Philips brand from Bunnings work a treat). Get different wattages, and try them out before you get the monitor in there. The correct wattage won't need a thermostat at all. A flat rock under the globe will help to create a basking spot.
On a different note, that size tank is too small for a panoptes, even a hatchling. And they grow quite quickly. We bought a hatchling last year, and put it straight into a 5ft tank. It uses all of the space, depending on how warm it wants to be.

I use 35W and the 50W. With a 35W @ 25cm, I'm getting mid 50C, mid 60C's with a 50W at the same distance. Dependant on the surface, of course. Here it's a latex rock wall, cooler temps with wood, hotter with rock/ sand surfaces. I just vary the distance from the basking spot accordingly.

IMG_9530_50.jpg

So I've got the Monitor (Turok) all set up. Swapped out the infared for a reflector globe. Chucked a ceramic tile under it. Reaches anywhere from 45-60c depending on time of day and ambient temp.

Coir Peat for substrate. Log with hole it for a hide. Dual bowls for food/water (and a convenient cut out at the bottom which Turok uses as a hide).

Just wondering about food and how often. More just to see if I'm on the right track...

1 day is crickets, the next is woodies, then a fuzzy or weaner mouse, repeat once a week. On the seventh day I will try chopped up chicken necks and/or turkey mince, chicken breast, livers, etc. Insects are dusted with cal/d3 supplement every feed.

Assuming all goes well by next Summer I hope to have Turok set up outsite in some sort of lizard pit.

Thank guys.

Last edited:
You don't need to dust with supplements every feed; 3x a week is fine, although if you are feeding whole prey it probably could even be less. That's a good mixed diet.
If you are going to feed mince, get the pet food chicken mince; it has the carcass minced up with it, and no preservatives.

Any handling tips?

Had him since 9th of October. Set up in enclosure by the 10th.

Still very skittish though. Bit hissy and tails whips. Haven't really handled him at all since getting him unless I've had to. Seems at least tolerant of handling after a few minutes.. Did try and bite me once but it didn't seem like a defensive and / or food response bite, It was very slow and gentle.

Although on a positive note. He would bolt to his hides the first week or so even when I was just slowly walking past but now he'll still bask even as I go past.

That all sounds pretty normal. Panoptes are not normally a good handling monitor; if you want a handler, get a sandie or a spencer's. Not to say you won't be able to, it will just take a lot more effort, and a lot of bites.
Our little guy was the same, hiding or running away when I came into the room. Now he charges the tongs when it's a mouse, or looks at me keenly when I have his bowl of chicken necks.

That all sounds pretty normal. Panoptes are not normally a good handling monitor; if you want a handler, get a sandie or a spencer's. Not to say you won't be able to, it will just take a lot more effort, and a lot of bites.
Our little guy was the same, hiding or running away when I came into the room. Now he charges the tongs when it's a mouse, or looks at me keenly when I have his bowl of chicken necks.
Has he mistaken your fingers for the food yet?

Not yet. But he follows my finger up and down the glass, then backs off when I open the glass.
The EWD on the other hand...... I nearly dropped a container of crickets when he tried for my finger, lol.

So I found Turok this morning submerged in his water bowl. Is it anything I should be concerned about?

z7JTYrp.jpg

bz0nRLn.jpg

v6OZqiP.jpg

Not sure if you can tell in pics. Looks like there's not much lighting but there is. Will have to try take some better angled pics next time. Also water bowl is normally in top right of enclosure but was taken out at the time photos were taken. I try to keep under his water bowl dampish so he has a humid hide spot. Rest of enclosure is dry.

Surprised he let me take some pics actually.

Also any tips to make the enclosure better is really appreciated. I know it looks very basic.

Last edited:
He's probably in his water to help him shed.
How deep is the substrate? They do like to dig.

yep more sand for digging and foraging :)

HANDLING: They are not your typical monitor for handling, i do my best not to handle mine, even if i get into his enclosure, i have a few logs and i let him scurry into them, and let him feel safe. i want him to learn that i am only a food ( hunter for him , and not here to hurt him) slowly gaining trust, well more trust with him than my Black headed o_O

Last edited:
So I got my first bite(s) last night. This one was definitely not gentle. More a defensive bite as he was very hissy and whippy.

My fault though - I picked him up randomly without much warning so he wouldn't dart out of the cage while I was changing his water. I sure felt the bites (took a few before he'd finally let go enough for me to pull him away gently and put him back in enclosure).

Slight breaking of skin and a bit of blood but nothing too bad.

I noticed that at least on part of the tile the temp can get to around 70-75c. But the enclosure isn't an oven. Too high a basking temp or okay? He took another Waener Mouse today. Still a bugger for actually letting me watch him eat though.

Will add some more coir peat so he has enough to burrow a little if he wants.

Cheers guys.

Is the tile raised; can you lower t to reduce the surface temp? Does he use the tile? If not, it's probably too hot.
Our guy never used to eat while we watched; now he just goes into food mode, and scoffs. He ate two mice/rats yesterday, one was refused by our flavi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back