Newbie saying hi plus a couple of questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknopunk

Reaction score
Hi I'm Chris and I have a 3 year old coastal carpet python his name is Eden. I have a couple of questions. 1. Eden is a 3 year old coastal carpet python he is about 2.5 Meyers and weighs 4.5 kg. I'm just wondering if this is in a healthy range? 2. At the moment I'm feeding him 1 large rat every 10-14 days. I'm wondering if I should go bigger and if so should I go to jumbo rat or something else? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
09543f147beea259db6c131487b4bbda.jpg
874589bb275654b25b21011dd56eccb4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Welcome to APS.
That sounds fine to me. If anything cut back on how often you feed your python. A large or jumbo rat should last an adult python a month to 6 weeks.
Thanks so much for your advice. Also I've been told not to feed him jumbo rats because of fat content. Is this true?

Adult rats all have a fat content. By feeding him monthly to 6 weeks, you will reduce any harm from fat content. Overfeeding snakes with rats (too often) is when there can be problems.
A bit like an occasional Big Mac isn't going to kill you, but eating it every week might. :)
When your coastal gets bigger, you can feed it a rabbit instead; far better nutritionally, and with a rabbit you will only have to feed it every 6 months or so.

Adult rats all have a fat content. By feeding him monthly to 6 weeks, you will reduce any harm from fat content. Overfeeding snakes with rats (too often) is when there can be problems.
A bit like an occasional Big Mac isn't going to kill you, but eating it every week might. :)
When your coastal gets bigger, you can feed it a rabbit instead; far better nutritionally, and with a rabbit you will only have to feed it every 6 months or so.
Thanks so much for your advice and quick reply. Very much appreciated. [emoji4][emoji4]
db484254cdc6d4e9c6c2b6ff7d4906a9.jpg
7572a31e3f5f573831bf3d7e0e4d28fb.jpg
dc2062956e113e3c9fa5964237c71673.jpg

Its often better to feed multiple smaller food items rather than the large/jumbo's on offer.
2 medium rats in place of a large/extra large for example.
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

our 7foot coastal has gone off jumbo rats ,doesn't like rabbits and is now feeding on quail, but today I fed her a couple of weiner mice as a snack because the pygmy banded pythons were'nt hungry

our 7foot coastal has gone off jumbo rats ,doesn't like rabbits and is now feeding on quail, but today I fed her a couple of weiner mice as a snack because the pygmy banded pythons were'nt hungry
Is your coastal male or female? How old? Weight? Also how are you doing your measurements. I've been using an online tool but not sure of the accuracy. Hope you don't mind the questions? Thanks.

she is a female,age unknown as I won her in a NWPS ballot.She is measured by her shed skin,which is longer than her actual length.Skin is longer because it flexes around each scale.We weighed her on the bathroom scales in a tub a while ago but I can't find where I wrote it down.
I have a vague idea of 5.5kg????

Nice. There's an online snake measure tool not sure if you've seen it. Sometimes it seems pretty accurate sometimes it's way off. I just tried it again yesterday and it seems fairly accurate. Here's a link to it if you're interested. If you do try it I'd like to know your opinion on how accurate you think it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back