Tank Temperature Fluctuation Stimsons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ned Zaina

Reaction score
Hi there, my tank keeps fluctuating between 29 and 35 on the hot side and 24 to 28 on the cold side. I'm using a 100 watt ceramic bulb and I can seem to get the ideal 32 degree temp. some advice would really help please.

Welcome to APS.
That seems to be a big fluctuation. What size tank do you have, and what is it made of? What type of thermostat are you using? Also, how are you measuring the temp?

Thanks for your quick response.
I have a 3 ft wooden vivarium with a built in thermostat located towards the cool side in the back centre of the enclosure.
I am using a temperature probe I bought from the pet store which tells me the min and max fluctuations of that area.
Please note that I have not picked up my snake yet and I am just running the tank with all substrate and hides setup.

If your thermostat is a simple on/off type it may not switch till 3 or 4 degrees above and below your setting, this is not a problem as long as the snake has a suitable branch or basking area that it can move along to regulate it's temp.
Is your probe measuring air or surface temp, best to get an IR thermometer so you can measure the snakes body temp.

It's great that you are testing before putting a snake in there; too often we hear the opposite.
In a tank that size you are always going to run the risk of being too hot; the fluctuations might not necessarily represent true temps. As Yellowtail has suggested, an IR temp gun will give more accurate measurements. A branch and/or a rock under the heat will give the snake a good basking spot.
Ceramic heat emitters are notorious for residual heat, which might be having an effect on temperatures. In a tank that size, maybe one wattage down might be enough.

Awesome,
so much help here guys I have ordered a IR thermometer and I'm going to downsize from a 100 watt to a 75 watt bulb and pray that fixes the problem.
if there is anything else you guys think I should do I will take any help I can get.

One other thing occurs to me: have you put any substrate in yet? That will affect any temperature readings, even if slightly.

And photos of your new stimsons in its tank are a prerequisite. ;)

yeah I've got the substrate in.
I still would like some green fake vines and stuff to cover the back Wall maybe even some real hardy plant species in there also.
A38A1FDF-03D6-43F7-9528-1EE419911D12-2000.jpg

Depending upon the ambient temperature, 75 watts seems high for a cage that small.In summer the fluro tube may almost supply enough heat. ( I notice there is no light guard around it) You could put a baffle wall between the hot and cold end which will increase the temperature differential. A baffle wall can either have a porthole for the snake to pass from hot to cool end, or can stop short of the glass, say 70mm to allow the snake around the end.

In a small tank if the thermostat fails you will cook the snake with 75watts.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ned Zaina In my humble opinion that fluro tube is unnecessary, it is just asking to be climbed on/around which ultimately means trouble, it would look heaps better to replace it with a low voltage LED strip stuck to the top at the front, that way it gives you great white light without being obtrusive, also think about moving your thermostat probe to the hot end, it will help to get a better gradient and not so much fluctuation. Welcome to the hobby/addiction. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling-

UPDATE,
I've put in a 65 watt bulb a the hot end and now I'm having the opposite problem my hot end it now maxing at 28.7 degrees but its not like the thermostat is switching it off it just isn't getting any hotter in there. same with the cold end staying at around 22 degrees.

I was told by my local reptile store owner that I had to move the thermostat from the hot side into where it is now which I had luckily one of my friends do. se said that the heat lamp been to close would trip the thermostat before the tank would be at the right temp. seeing at the thermostat max degrees was 30 moving it away for the heat was the only way to get the hot side hot enough.

@Ned Zaina In my humble opinion that fluro tube is unnecessary, it is just asking to be climbed on/around which ultimately means trouble, it would look heaps better to replace it with a low voltage LED strip stuck to the top at the front, that way it gives you great white light without being obtrusive, also think about moving your thermostat probe to the hot end, it will help to get a better gradient and not so much fluctuation. Welcome to the hobby/addiction. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling-

The thermostat you have has a built-in probe/sensor, so it really should be almost in line with the left edge of the glass, looking at the photo above; in the middle, in other words. Put it in the middle, and all of your problems will disappear.
Sorry, I should have noticed that before.

just picked up Maggie my stimsons python, she's all et up in her enclosure I've been told to not handle her for 7 days then feed her and wait 2 more days before first handling.
Any other tips you guys might have. put her in the tank about 3 hours ago and already she is super active.

I'm reading around 25 degrees on the cold side and 32 on my warm side I've found the temperature of my house really effects how hot the enclosure is but I found way to increase the temp when need just by turning on the light for 10-15 minutes just to bring back the temp.
im sticking with the 65 watt and its doing just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back