Newbie owner, stimson shedding?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalli

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a roughly 10 year old stimson python that I have had for about 3 months as my first snake. On the 8th of october I noticed his eyes went into blue, they have since cleared up though I'm not exactly sure when. However he still hasn't shed 8 days later...is this an issue? Am I worrying over nothing? Just want to make sure I'm doing right by him.

Thanks in advance!

They generally take a few days after there eyes clear up, give him a mist with some water to help with humidity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My girl didnt come out of her hide for like 3 days, her eyes must have been blue, so we took her out a couple days later and her eyes were clear and she was trying to rub her head on our arms and nearly everything she could, we put her back and then she starting shedding.

Try not to handle your python if you think it's about to shed, even if it takes a few days. Antaresias (stimsons, childrens, spotted, and pygmy) are notorious bad shedders. They might take longer, or the shed might not come off in one piece. Leave them to it, unless they look like they still have shed on them later.

Thanks, how long should I wait before I start worrying? I haven't seen him leave his hide for 2 weeks...
I have been giving him a small spray every day since his eyes cleared up...would this cause a respiratory infection if I do this too long?

Try not to handle your python if you think it's about to shed, even if it takes a few days. Antaresias (stimsons, childrens, spotted, and pygmy) are notorious bad shedders. They might take longer, or the shed might not come off in one piece. Leave them to it, unless they look like they still have shed on them later.

Thanks pine family, I have been leaving him to do his own thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a water bowl large enough for him to soak in? And is there a real rock or branch to assist him in shedding?
And what are your temps?

Do you have a water bowl large enough for him to soak in? And is there a real rock or branch to assist him in shedding?
And what are your temps?

The water bowl probably isnt big enough for him to soak in as hes 1.2m long... but there is a real branch in there for him.

Temps on the hot spot are sitting at 37 celcius

Yes he is a big fella, we measured his shed and it came to a total length of 1.4m! He was originally wild caught so maybe that had something to do with it?
Can you elaborate on this “wild caught”? I hope it’s not what it sounds like as that is illegal :s

Hey yes he was legally wild caught by a licensed taker for someones breeding peoject then passed on to me. In WA your not allowed to import pythons from other states so I believe catching from the wild is the best option for getting some new blood

Not sure what state your in but It's illegal to take south west carpet and stimsons pythons from the wild in WA as DPAW have said that there are enough in captivity now it's a big fine and you will loose your licence if you are caught

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Not sure what state your in but It's illegal to take south west carpet and stimsons pythons from the wild in WA as DPAW have said that there are enough in captivity now it's a big fine and you will loose your licence if you are caught

I'm not sure who you're directing your comment to but my wild caught reptiles are primarily lizards. One of my carpet pythons comes from a DpAW tender, so it could very well be wild caught. Snakes can live long lives (20+ years), and even though the wild take of Stimson's and Carpet Pythons is no longer permitted I'd imagine there would still be a few wild animals present in the hobby.

I'm not sure who you're directing your comment to but my wild caught reptiles are primarily lizards. One of my carpet pythons comes from a DpAW tender, so it could very well be wild caught. Snakes can live long lives (20+ years), and even though the wild take of Stimson's and Carpet Pythons is no longer permitted I'd imagine there would still be a few wild animals present in the hobby.
I wasn't directing my comment at you I was just saying that takers can no longer take those 2 types of pythons from the wild anymore

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back