Do the regs need to be changed?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole licensing system is run by a bunch of over educated tossers. Well vic is anyway, the system makes no sense and has something like a 10 year wait before new species will be considered to even be thought about. I have told them on more than one occasion that there whole licensing system is stupid. I can keep a salt water croc/ taipans/ death adders/ tigers and almost any venomous snake i want, i can keep indicus which live in the most northern part of the country. I know of people that have been given exotic licenses to keep illegal black market imports, but we can't keep Rosenbergs which are found in vic anyway. I was taken to court because i had an empty water bowl in a beardie enclosure during winter brumation. While waiting to go into court i was speaking to the wildlife officer representing the department against me. And asked y we can't keep a perentie but are allowed to keep a salt water croc. I was told perenties are to big and y would i want to keep one. I rest my case.
U can fill an empty glass u can't fill a empty head.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I agree that acquiring venomous snakes should not be as easy as it appears to be over in the Eastern states. But don't be so eager to hand over your freedoms to the bureaucrats. You just might end up living in WA (not literally of course). Fools will still get what they want, regardless of the regulations that are put in place

Its all part of learning.
The best way to get experience is to keep something. Most people have close calls and work out whats the best way to do things. It also helps to have a wise guru to mentor you along your journey. A few get unlucky and get tagged, just the way life is. As long as what you are keeping is secure, ie locked room, its nobody else's business what you get up to in your own home.

I agree with you both but not entirely.
We don't want the system over regulated but there must be sensible controls in place. While I'm in no way suggesting that the incident at the top of this thread is related to poor behavior or a lack of knowledge we all know one or two 'bloody fools' out there that see the owning of such a highly dangerous animal as an extension to their manhood. Do we really want the risks associated with some potentially dangerous animals in the hands of fools because we are as under-regulated as we appear to be in some states?

RoryBreaker. It is all part of learning and we all experience close calls in everything we learn, driving and our day to day jobs would be a couple of good examples. BUT.....How do we learn? Its about experience gained from within a controlled environment, we learn to drive with a professional instructor, when the instructor believes we are ready to be let loose we are tested to a standard before being allowed to drive a missile on the roads. But there are still some who get it wrong, make mistakes and get themselves or others killed. I work in a particularly dangerous industry and new starters are subject to 2-3 months of intense training before they are allowed to commence doing even routine tasks unsupervised.
Australia has some of the most ludicrous work place controls of the western world where we protect everyone from every possible hazard...workers often dont need to think about any controls or the use of common sense any more because safety regulations take care of everything.

That same person who is not allowed to think for themselves at work and needs to be tested before they can drive to the shops is allowed to go buy a King Brown a week after he sends off his licence fee in Victoria. This is totally crazy and needs some form of control, training and proficiency.

The whole licensing system is run by a bunch of over educated tossers. Well vic is anyway, the system makes no sense and has something like a 10 year wait before new species will be considered to even be thought about. I have told them on more than one occasion that there whole licensing system is stupid. I can keep a salt water croc/ taipans/ death adders/ tigers and almost any venomous snake i want, i can keep indicus which live in the most northern part of the country. I know of people that have been given exotic licenses to keep illegal black market imports, but we can't keep Rosenbergs which are found in vic anyway. I was taken to court because i had an empty water bowl in a beardie enclosure during winter brumation. While waiting to go into court i was speaking to the wildlife officer representing the department against me. And asked y we can't keep a perentie but are allowed to keep a salt water croc. I was told perenties are to big and y would i want to keep one. I rest my case.
U can fill an empty glass u can't fill a empty head.

How did they find out you had an empty water bowl?

Last edited by a moderator:
. I was taken to court because i had an empty water bowl in a beardie enclosure during winter brumation.

Are the mexican boofocrats really that anal ? I have water bowls in all my dragon enclosures ( I know beardies don't understand standing water) but they do like a soak on a hot day and I have taught 1 of my pygmies to drink

Ah Yep, you know she can turn them away if you're not home... if she's not the licence holder, she's within her rights to tell them to come back another time.
I am now mate but at the time no i wasn't. As far as i was concerned there was no real issues so i didn't have a problem with it.
I have learnt since then tho, this is a hobby we all love, and to be honest i have had a few inspections with them and every time its like an interrogation and it takes the fun out of the hobby. I think it has something to do with the people I've dealt with, however if someone has advertised something and i want it I'll get it. I don't know everyone's history in this hobby, if i buy something off someone they have there doubts about then it seems like your guilty by ascotiation.

I agree with you both but not entirely.
We don't want the system over regulated but there must be sensible controls in place. While I'm in no way suggesting that the incident at the top of this thread is related to poor behavior or a lack of knowledge we all know one or two 'bloody fools' out there that see the owning of such a highly dangerous animal as an extension to their manhood. Do we really want the risks associated with some potentially dangerous animals in the hands of fools because we are as under-regulated as we appear to be in some states?

I very much doubt the bureaucrats are going to install sensible controls, but I do agree that they're needed. I'm not familiar with Eastern states regulations. Is there no advanced or the equivalent licence for venomous snakes?

Is there no advanced or the equivalent licence for venomous snakes?

Yes there is an advanced licence requirement in Victoria for ven's and indeed some pythons. Though the only thing that is required to upgrade to an advanced licence is extra money for the increased licence fee.
That for me is asking for trouble.

I very much doubt the bureaucrats are going to install sensible controls, but I do agree that they're needed. I'm not familiar with Eastern states regulations. Is there no advanced or the equivalent licence for venomous snakes?
If your under 18 u need a letter from your mum if u want to keep a taipan basically. U need a letter of competency basically saying u can handle it and that'll do it.

I grew up in an era a long time ago when there was no regulation, if you wanted a snake you went bush and caught one, (most people killed snakes on sight) I had a collection of elapids while I was still in primary school. The point is I was a dedicated reptile nut, read every book available 6 times, talked to other reptile nuts and was very careful and never bitten. This was before antivenin, the recommended treatment for snake bite was to attack the site with a razor blade and suck the venom out, no one had ever survived a taipan bite and survivors of others generally had permanent health problems.
Nowdays you have macho types wanting to show off "mine is more dangerous than yours" and you must have some control, but that said there are bikies out there with rattlesnakes and cobras.

Yes it is but thats not particularly difficult to achieve in about 15 mins and does little to protect a fool from his own animals.
I couldn't agree more.
The system doesn't make any sense.
I love my monitors and there's so many id like to own but can't because vic wont bring them on license. The fact that i can keep taipans/ browns and salt water crocs but can't keep certain monitors is frustrating. We need a national licensing system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back